Author Topic: ~~THE PERFORMANCE~~ Critics Gallery  (Read 196347 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: ~~THE PERFORMANCE~~ Critics Gallery
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2006, 03:08:44 am »
as long as we are reasonably considerate and tasteful when using real people, I think it should be just another aspect of our wacky and wonderful effort. 

Meryl, hunnyloo, we done passed that point! :)  But it certainly is an aspect of our wacky and wonderful effort!

Everyone, if one MUST criticize - and I "musted" twice a while back on something I found painful - let's do it in PM.  I'm also very glad that the person I spoke up to was very polite and open to hearing what I had to say, and was willing to make a change that we could both live with.

On with the impromptu, something-for-everyone show!

Clarissa

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2006, 09:35:16 am »
I certainly never meant for the Critics Gallery to be all positive feedback.... As long as we have something constructive to say, something that will allow us to improve our various performances, whether it is a compliment for a job well done, or a person saying that they're uncomfortable with something, feel free to say what needs to be said. Even if our feedback is less than positive, if it leads to a more enjoyable performance for everyone, its a good thing.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2006, 09:52:46 am »
Bravo Guy and Lucise!! That was so tastefully but deliciously played!! Did the equinox have something to do with it?  :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2006, 10:05:04 am »
Not particularly.... but the weekend may have.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2006, 10:10:45 am »

Everyone, if one MUST criticize - and I "musted" twice a while back on something I found painful - let's do it in PM.  I'm also very glad that the person I spoke up to was very polite and open to hearing what I had to say, and was willing to make a change that we could both live with.

Clarissa

As we all know, everyone deals with conflict differently.  While I am not advocating for a completely sanitized Critics' Thread, I do support the notion of voicing serious or personalized complaints in private.  Some negativity expressed here recently erupted into a bit of a firestorm which took several days to burn out, and a number of good people felt singed before it did.  We almost lost some valuable players.  I believe that the whole thing could have been dealt with much more easily and constructively in private.  I tried to take the communication about this conflict, and about a concern which I have never voiced publicly, into the private realm.  Unfortunately, unlike Clarissa's experience, the person with whom I was trying to communicate in private was not at all responsive to my concerns.  But hey, the show must go on!  And I, for one, am glad that people (and animals, and heretofore-inanimate objects!) have remained invested in the free-form, creative, and as-collaborative-as-possible nature of the PT.  So... carry on, everyone!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:15:12 pm by alec716 »
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2006, 12:51:53 pm »
Hi Meryl:
I was the one who objected, and just to explain, what I was objecting to was what I feel Heath would be offended by, that is, depictions of sex between Heath and Michelle.  That is what is known as RPS (Real People Sex) in the fanfic world.  There are people who believe and I am one, that is it disrespectful to be that intrusive of the actors' private lives.  And from what I have seen reported about Heath in the magazine articles, interviews, etc, he did not appreciate the paparazzi taking a telephoto lens shot of him buck nekkid.   And RPS is in the same vein IMO.

Since the PT is in honour of our beloved BBM and the creators of it, I don't see why we would dishonour two of the main contributors, IMO.
Including Heath and Michelle in the PT in a comedic vein, in parody, is not what I was objecting to.  I was objecting to the RPS.  I hope I have explained this clearly enough.   ;)

Jane

Thanks for the clarification Jane.  I was aware that the RPS was the problem, hence my "reasonably tasteful and considerate" comment.  There's plenty of fanfic around that deals in RPS, and it has many readers.  The Performance Thread is also a divine form of fanfic, so it's understandable that some posters would include RPS eventually.

You were right to make your feelings known, and I happen to agree with them.  It's only your stating that "we" as a whole would object that seems too much IMO like laying down a law.  BetterMost does not ban RPS and other adult topics.  Hopefully, if we use the tools available to us to regulate content--changing the subject, not picking up on or continuing the material, sending PMs, etc.--the poster in question will adjust out of consideration.

I agree that PMs are good for alerting posters about what makes you uncomfortable, but I'm glad when larger issues, like RPS and making rules, are aired on the Critics Thread.  I think constructive criticism helps everybody be more aware, and hopefully, happier.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2006, 12:55:15 pm »
Thank you Meryl...

I would also like to say that I am not very happy with the object rape of Guy's character. I know some people find this funny, but I personally did not.

Thanks for listening.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2006, 01:45:36 pm »
Bravo Guy and Lucise!! That was so tastefully but deliciously played!! Did the equinox have something to do with it?  :D

Wow ..someone other than Guy and Lucise enjoyed it!  ;D 
Cheers Lee!

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2006, 02:16:12 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Jane.  I was aware that the RPS was the problem, hence my "reasonably tasteful and considerate" comment.  There's plenty of fanfic around that deals in RPS, and it has many readers.  The Performance Thread is also a divine form of fanfic, so it's understandable that some posters would include RPS eventually.

You were right to make your feelings known, and I happen to agree with them.  It's only your stating that "we" as a whole would object that seems too much IMO like laying down a law.  BetterMost does not ban RPS and other adult topics.  Hopefully, if we use the tools available to us to regulate content--changing the subject, not picking up on or continuing the material, sending PMs, etc.--the poster in question will adjust out of consideration.

I agree that PMs are good for alerting posters about what makes you uncomfortable, but I'm glad when larger issues, like RPS and making rules, are aired on the Critics Thread.  I think constructive criticism helps everybody be more aware, and hopefully, happier.  :)

Hi Meryl!  ;D

Right, Right, and Right!  I agree with you 200%.  If I accidently presumed to speak for the whole group, then I appologize, that was a mistake.  I think Meryl you and I have respected each other's points of view, nice to know you Meryl Del Mar.....   ;) :D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2006, 02:26:40 pm »
Ok..we are about to embark on the SUpermarket scene at last...
Umm...who is our Monroe for the moment folks?  :)