Author Topic: Your view on recent Middle East crisis  (Read 25063 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Your view on recent Middle East crisis
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2006, 12:20:56 am »

All I can say is that Bush must have a small penis because he keeps using “guns” as a way to achieve so-called democracy!

Ooops! She didn't just say that, did she?

You go girl!  :D

I couldn't agree with you more Diane!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 01:27:01 am »
I got this e-mail today thought I'd share....

Mr. President, simply staying the course in Iraq is not working. We need to take a new direction. We believe these recommendations comprise an effective alternative to the current open-ended commitment which is not producing the progress in Iraq we would all like to see. Thank you for your careful consideration of these suggestions.

Harry Reid, Senate Democratic Leader
Nancy Pelosi, House Democratic Leader
Dick Durbin, Senate Assistant Democratic Leader
Steny Hoyer, House Minority Whip
Carl Levin, Ranking Member, Senate Armed Services Committee
Ike Skelton, Ranking Member, House Armed Services Committee
Joe Biden, Ranking Member, Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Tom Lantos, Ranking Member, House International Relations Committee
Jay Rockefeller, Vice Chairman, Senate Intelligence Committee
Jane Harman, Ranking Member, House Intelligence Committee
Daniel Inouye, Ranking Member, Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee
John Murtha, Ranking Member, House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee

Add your name now:

http://giveemhellharry.com/iraq

Thank you again for posting this Victoria.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me that my senator Richard Lugar (R Indiana) isn't on the list of names. After all, he is George Bush's Top Boy.

I am distressed I didn't see our Democratic senator, Evan Bayh on the list. I guess even the Democrats in Indiana are really Republicans.... wolves in sheep's clothing probably.   >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Giancarlo

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 01:59:56 pm »
This whole Middle East crisis is driving me mad. I am a pacifist … just so you understand my POV. IMO, President Bush has created much of the instability in that region by insisting the US invade Iraq to rid Sadam “Insane” and promote democracy. What has happened? Increased sectarian violence, children being murdered, and our so-called “good men/women in uniform” torturing, berating and raping other human beings. It makes me sick! I am not saying Sadam Hussein was a good or ethical leader. However, we had no exit strategy. We had nothing! We assumed that the Iraqi people would welcome us with open arms. Bullocks! Bush completely underestimated the difficulty of the situation. Furthermore, Bush does not understand the word “diplomacy.” He reacts and says that it is because of our “war on terror” … yeah, right.  We are not safer than we were before. IMO, we are more of a target than ever before.

As for the whole Israel/ Lebanon conflict … it is just one more thing that makes me livid. If Israel was any other country doing what they are doing …. The US would be condemning them. Instead, we turn our backs because Israel is our “ally.” We close our eyes to all of the civilians being murdered at the hands of the Israeli soldiers. Again, the word “diplomacy” is not in Bush’s vocabulary.

All I can say is that Bush must have a small penis because he keeps using “guns” as a way to achieve so-called democracy! What a laugh! The man does not understand the word.

I am sorry I went off of the deep end about this issue. However, it just burns my butt that he proclaims he’s spreading democratic values and liberties when he continues to abuse his power here at home and strip us of our own civil liberties!

I received a lot of criticism for my position on the Iraq war, but I do support it. And I feel that we need to give Iraq some time to achieve what it has to. It would be foolish to pull out now, afterall of this. I am not for Bush nor do I even like him, but I do understand why we did what we did. Also several of my friends have been to Iraq in the military, and do not dare generalize them. I'm sorry but I take deep offense to that. There are only a few people in the military responsible for those abuses and they have been reprimanded and punished.

I'll probably receive deep criticism from people here, but I have to say I AM NOT A PACIFIST. I'm a realist and am pragmatic.

"Instead, we've got the biggest debt load in history and a last house-of-cards economy."

Not exactly. The economy is actually quite resislent (especially to high oil prices) and the debt load is really not that big. In relation to the GDP (value of goods and services provided) it is smaller then that of European countries.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:06:44 pm by Giancarlo »

Giancarlo

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 02:01:51 pm »
Agree  . . . $10 a gallon even better!  We'd have a progressive government so fast it would make Bush's head spin like he was in The Exorcist.  LOL re Jake and white roses . . . he should stop by my place too . . . .

"ekeby" . . . everybody always thinks it's "eek by" but it's actually "ek bee", taken from a province in Sweden. Given my situation, eek by is appropriate too . . .

We need a libertarian government, not a conservative or progressive one. A libertarian government would really solve a lot of problems in this country.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 02:16:48 pm »
Also several of my friends have been to Iraq in the military, and do not dare generalize them. I'm sorry but I take deep offense to that. There are only a few people in the military responsible for those abuses and they have been reprimanded and punished.

I'll probably receive deep criticism from people here, but I have to say I AM NOT A PACIFIST. I'm a realist and am pragmatic.

Please accept my apologies ... I did not intend to insinuate that all service men/ women were engaging in unethical behavior. I am aware that the majority of our armed men/ women are good people who believe in what they are doing. I get a little carried away sometimes with my thoughts.

Ultimately, my belief is that violence begets violence. Evil begets evil. Hatred begets hatred. What we, the USA, have done (IMO) is create an environment of violence, evil and hatred.  We have options, but choose not to exercise restraint. We react with guns and rhetoric. We put good men and women in a situation that is bound for failure. More and more people die every day. For what? So-called democracy? (Personally I wish Bush would make his all-to-precious daughters serve in the military. Then he might consider a change in strategy since, currently, he has no regard for human life. Nor does he pursue the option for peace. It’s “shoot now, ask questions later.”)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Giancarlo

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 02:30:50 pm »
Ultimately, my belief is that violence begets violence. Evil begets evil. Hatred begets hatred. What we, the USA, have done (IMO) is create an environment of violence, evil and hatred.  We have options, but choose not to exercise restraint. We react with guns and rhetoric. We put good men and women in a situation that is bound for failure. More and more people die every day. For what? So-called democracy? (Personally I wish Bush would make his all-to-precious daughters serve in the military. Then he might consider a change in strategy since, currently, he has no regard for human life. Nor does he pursue the option for peace. It’s “shoot now, ask questions later.”)

Well that is certainly your opinion, but I thought with my own eyes that taking the action we did in Iraq was necessary. Though I do not like Bush, I think it is not really fair to say he has no regard for human life. Trust me, I really don't like the guy at all.

Offline ekeby

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 03:32:25 pm »
We need a libertarian government, not a conservative or progressive one. A libertarian government would really solve a lot of problems in this country.
I live in Wisconsin; we have a big Libertarian presence here. I've been interested in their "take over a state" movement (can't recall the name of it now), and have wondered why gay people haven't thought about doing the same kind of thing at some level.

I don't have a real good handle on Libertarianism. As far as I can make out, it means different things to different people, with personal liberty at the core. In an ideal world, any political philosophy would work fine. In an ideal world, every citizen would be informed and engaged and pragmatic and ethical. It's not an ideal world.

I don't quite understand how you square Libertarianism with invading Iraq. I would think those two things were not compatible, but like I said, I don't have a good handle on Lib. philosophy. But re Iraq. I believe the sole reason our ruling junta invaded Iraq was to secure and assure access to the oil fields, because of the Saudi royal family's tenuous hold on theirs. The stated reasons are window dressing. I don't find the real motives reason enough to have caused all the death and destruction. Some wars may be justified, but I don't think this one is. Nothing you say will likely change my mind, just as nothing I say will probably change yours.
I complain too much. That teacher don't like me. Now it's your turn.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 03:43:44 pm »
Well that is certainly your opinion, but I thought with my own eyes that taking the action we did in Iraq was necessary. Though I do not like Bush, I think it is not really fair to say he has no regard for human life. Trust me, I really don't like the guy at all.

I understand your POV. I am just at the opposite end of the spectrum. It sounds as though you are close to people who serve and you have a different perception of the rationalization for the war. For me, I just get sickened by the violence and hatred that is so prevalent in our world. What are we teaching our youth?

BTW  … I am glad you don’t like Bush. The man makes me cringe every time I see him. You might not have that severe of a reaction …. but, tell ya what, I most certainly do!

Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Giancarlo

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 10:08:56 pm »
I live in Wisconsin; we have a big Libertarian presence here. I've been interested in their "take over a state" movement (can't recall the name of it now), and have wondered why gay people haven't thought about doing the same kind of thing at some level.

I don't see why more people haven't supported libertarians because they are more moderate then republicans.

I don't have a real good handle on Libertarianism. As far as I can make out, it means different things to different people, with personal liberty at the core. In an ideal world, any political philosophy would work fine. In an ideal world, every citizen would be informed and engaged and pragmatic and ethical. It's not an ideal world.

There is pretty much one major type of libertarianism (along with smaller variants of it). Libertarianism is not one uniform set of beliefs. I'm not saying it is an ideal world, but we ought to make the best of it. Libertarianism is predominantly dominanted by the personal liberated oriented center right crowd (wordy I know).

I don't quite understand how you square Libertarianism with invading Iraq. I would think those two things were not compatible, but like I said, I don't have a good handle on Lib. philosophy. But re Iraq. I believe the sole reason our ruling junta invaded Iraq was to secure and assure access to the oil fields, because of the Saudi royal family's tenuous hold on theirs. The stated reasons are window dressing. I don't find the real motives reason enough to have caused all the death and destruction. Some wars may be justified, but I don't think this one is. Nothing you say will likely change my mind, just as nothing I say will probably change yours.

I don't agree at all. And I think it is a big assault on me as a person that you try to tell me my beliefs are not compatible with Iraq. If I said I supported the Patriot Act in its entireity then you would have a case. A very strong case, as many elements (which have been now removed) in the Patriot Act impede of personal liberties. However, I do believe in the war in Iraq. And I think your statements are a bit too reactionary. Ruling junta? Excuse me? He's going to be gone in 2008. Goodbye, adios Bush. No more of him ever. And if we were so dead set on taking those oil fields why didn't we seize them? They have been handed over to the government. Thanks for insulting me and my views, and then attempting to define what I should believe in. You do nothing but alienate people who have different views then you. I think this war was justified, and guess what? I won't ever change my mind on this one.

Giancarlo

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 10:12:37 pm »
I understand your POV. I am just at the opposite end of the spectrum. It sounds as though you are close to people who serve and you have a different perception of the rationalization for the war. For me, I just get sickened by the violence and hatred that is so prevalent in our world. What are we teaching our youth?

BTW  … I am glad you don’t like Bush. The man makes me cringe every time I see him. You might not have that severe of a reaction …. but, tell ya what, I most certainly do!

I just think "Well he is going to be leaving office in 2008, so might as well see if there is going to be a better candidate." You must understand I have voted both ways before. But the republicans in California are far different then other republicans in this country. Though I am libertarian, I have talked with gay republicans in this state (I'm also working for the Arnold Schwarzenegger campaign).

I hate to be a pessimistic... but there always has been violence in this world. The cold war was a far worse time to live in (though there was not active wars, there was plenty of wars all over the world). The two years we should not forget are 1993 and 1994. Those were some of the most violent years of our time (when huge massacres occurred in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Burundi and neighboring countries).