Author Topic: Share your energy/resource saving tips  (Read 21525 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Share your energy/resource saving tips
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2006, 01:31:06 am »
The thing that gets me is the sea ice disappearing in the Arctic. I remember reading about all the different attempts to find a Northwest Passage, some way from the Atlantic to the Pacific north of North America. And the ice that prevented it is disappearing.

that really got to me too. the idea that an ice shelf that's thousands of years old and is the size of a state could disappear within a month's time is a sign of things getting desperate in deed.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Share your energy/resource saving tips
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2006, 01:15:08 pm »
that really got to me too. the idea that an ice shelf that's thousands of years old and is the size of a state could disappear within a month's time is a sign of things getting desperate in deed.
That's the Antarctic ice shelf, and that's maybe even scarier than the Arctic sea ice, because the Antarctic ice (and the Greenland ice) sits on the sea bottom (or on land)... when the ice that's on land melts, sea level rises.

I remember when that ice the size of Rhode Island broke away. Still freaks me out. I can't believe the various research papers that have come out about the ice on Greenland just this year.

I think this year, I'm going to have to make another attempt to set up a carpool. I've got three neighbors who work at the same place where I work, but I've got a kid in daycare (having a kid is very very bad for the environment), and we all work different schedules, and the hassle has kept us from riding together. But maybe we could do it just a few days a week. With four people, we ought to be able to work out something.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.