Author Topic: Fan Fiction - Popularity Contest or Formula for Orthodoxy?  (Read 22936 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Fan Fiction - Popularity Contest or Formula for Orthodoxy?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2006, 10:10:59 am »
er, Louise.  I was the one who started the thread and proposed the steps in the orthodox fan fiction.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Scott6373

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 10:19:58 am »
Sorry dearheart

moremojo

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 10:31:45 am »
I was just wanted to comment that I tend to avoid the AU stories, though I even have met someone now who writes such fanfic, and recognize that we have lots of talented writers who are giving their heartfelt all to the production of such fiction. But to me, I think it is important to respect the integrity of the original story, as it would not have the same power and resonance (again, for me) were it not for Jack's death. Jack's death is necessary to instill in Ennis (and, by implication, us) the awareness of how precious and fleeting life and love really are. So I tend to prefer the writings that pick up Ennis's story after Jack's demise, or are interpolations showing us scenes that the original tale, or film, omitted or hinted at, or that serve as prequels.

As it has been oft stated, it is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

Just my two cents'...

Scott

Scott6373

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2006, 10:36:56 am »
I was just wanted to comment that I tend to avoid the AU stories, though I even have met someone now who writes such fanfic, and recognize that we have lots of talented writers who are giving their heartfelt all to the production of such fiction. But to me, I think it is important to respect the integrity of the original story, as it would not have the same power and resonance (again, for me) were it not for Jack's death. Jack's death is necessary to instill in Ennis (and, by implication, us) the awareness of how precious and fleeting life and love really are. So I tend to prefer the writings that pick up Ennis's story after Jack's demise, or are interpolations showing us scenes that the original tale, or film, omitted or hinted at, or that serve as prequels.

Lord we think so much alike.  I think I'm in love :)

moremojo

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2006, 10:39:57 am »
Lord we think so much alike.  I think I'm in love :)
And we're both named Scott! Hmmmm...are the stars smiling upon us?

;)
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:37:23 pm by moremojo »

Scott6373

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2006, 10:46:24 am »
Shine away...LOL

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2006, 02:41:42 pm »
ok you two... get a room!

Seriously now, I do greatly appreciate what you are saying, mojo, because that is exactly my own block in writing AU stories.  Therefore I end up with my post-Jack stories which put Ennis back in the main character role, where I believe Annie had originally put him.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 02:58:42 am »
I'm new to the forums.  Hola.

First, let me say that I write AU (I wrote "Human Interest" and "Two Crows Joy," if you're familiar with them).  I read AU.  I also read canon-fic.

In fact, I've just spent the last week reading the Laramie Saga, Louise.  And I'm quite knocked on my ass by the level of detail present there and the time you've taken to so painstakingly develop the characters, plots and relationships to the point that they attain of level of reality that goes beyond just versimilitude.  I've written and read fanfic in a bunch of fandoms over the last ten years and it is damned hard to write a story that consists almost entirely of original characters and make the readers CARE about them.  It's a very rare thing to find a writer who has developed a relationship to the point that we know their INJOKES.

And you know what else?  Reading it has made it damned hard to work on my own fic.  I go to work on my next chapter and I find myself missing Ellery and wishing I could somehow work him in.  Damn you, Louise!

My point is that I like and respect both AU and canon fics.

In reading some of the comments here, I'm detecting a little bit of disdain for those of us who read and/or write AU fics.  Inherent in statements like "I can't bear to read/write AU fics because I have such deep respect for the canon!" is the implication that the rest of us DON'T respect the canon, or love it the way it is.  If I write AU fic, I must be taking the easy way out, romanticizing things, or pandering to the wishes of the audience while I toss Annie's canon out with the bathwater and spit in the face of the storyline that we all hold dear.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that isn't the case for me.  Just because I wanted to imagine a different outcome to the canon story doesn't mean I'm not deeply attached to that canon.  Exploring a way that the story could have ended happily while keeping the characters true to themselves is just as legitimate a way to express my feelings about the canon as if I'd kept it sacrosanct.  But if people prefer canon fics, that's their right.  If people prefer AU, that's also their right. 

I'd also like to comment on the "orthodoxies" that were brought up in the first post.  While it's true that many BBM fics use these plot points, I think I can use myself as a counterexample.  I've achieved a certain level of popularity (if that's the yardstick we're using, which is problematic in itself) with "Human Interest" and as far as I can tell, I've only employed the first and third of the seven listed plot requirements (and the third one is iffy)...although one could argue that it's the first one that's the most important.  It's also true that since I started writing HI in January, a lot of these patterns were established well after I started writing.  When I first posted HI to fanfiction.net, there were only 30 stories in the category.  Now there are over 300.

Louise, I certainly feel that your magnum opus (and that term is an understatement...how many words are you up to now?) deserves to be wildly popular and that lauds ought to be strewn in your path for writing such an ambitious, detailed and satisfying (and hawt) work of fanfiction.  But as I read your first post in this thread, I couldn't help but wonder if there wasn't a little bit of sour grapes in the question.  If some negative comments have been made about your story (and I know that some have been, which is incomphrehensible to me) or if it doesn't enjoy the readership of some other AU fics, do we really need to go searching for a reason and/or a rationalization as to why AU fics are less valid, and canon fics are more pure and therefore more deserving of readership?  I think it's a big enough sandbox for us all to play in.  And if people aren't reading the Laramie series because Jack's dead in it, well, it's their profound loss.

I will certainly be pimping it to anyone who'll stand still long enough.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2006, 06:02:30 am »
Wow, that was some immense tribute, Lori.  And I thank you for that.

It is too bad that my theory came across as sour grapes... my motive for writing it was a deep mystification and sadness at discovering, first of all, a great resistance and downright hostility toward what has become known as dead!Jack and Moving on!Ennis stories, which I learned in the course of writing my first volume, "Taking Chances."  I would not have devoted myself with such concentration to sussing out the puzzle of the orthodoxy dilemma if it were not for the extremely violent backlash against my stories - it exceeded mere controversy, and at last forced me to abandon a forum I had started out on due to the extreme hostility of the fan readers and authors.  Many fans of my story have their own tales to tell of the negative feedback they received after speaking up to say how much they enjoyed "Laramie."

With regard to your own work, since you authored of one of the very first BBM fan fiction stories, it wouldn't be either fair or true to ascribe your work to any orthodox pattern, chiefly because you wrote one of the original fan fictions.  My comments were to describe a trend in the explosion of work that followed, which in turn gave rise to a resistance to all things that do not conform to a pattern which has become more rigid over time (speaking of the period May 2006 to the present, roughly.)

I should make it clear, however,that this forum is dedicated to welcoming all types and genres of fan fiction, and does not favor one over the other.  I personally have not been able to write alternate universe stories, simply because my imagination does not go there, however, that is not to imply that these stories are less welcome on Bettermost. There are two moderators here, myself and Leslie (MaineWriter), and she has written ONLY AU stories, as I have written only canon stories. 

Every author (or fans, for that matter) can establish a thread for any stories that they would like to see here, and discuss them, according to the loose guidelines we have set out.

Welcome to Bettermost!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 10:11:25 am »
I'm new to the forums.  Hola.

Hi Lori, just wanted to say "welcome."  I'm in the middle of reading both Human Interest and Two Crows Joy at once, LOL!

This is a good venue to discuss fanfiction, we are "respectful of each others' opinions."