Author Topic: Fan Fiction - Popularity Contest or Formula for Orthodoxy?  (Read 22939 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Fan Fiction - Popularity Contest or Formula for Orthodoxy?
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2006, 04:40:36 pm »
Buying stock in Kleenex, now there's an idea, Helen.

Let me go on record to say that of all the fics I have read and tried to read... I have always very much enjoyed yours!  And I can't tell you how much it pleases me to say that, too!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

moremojo

Egads
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2006, 04:50:14 pm »
Hmmmm....it seems that my offering of my own preferences (even more than I hope they can be described as opinions, although they are that too) seems to have been misconstrued as some kind of descriptive admonition as to how our fandom writers should proceed.

Banish the thought! Far be it for me to prescribe the paths others wish to pursue--I mainly wished to state my own biases and concerns; I never anticipate these to be universally shared, and do not judge others who may feel differently (and obviously many do). I have friends who have written AU stories; I have met one of these lovely people face to face. I have read enough of the AU canon of stories to recognize there is real talent and heart being put into their creation--that's wonderful and beautiful, and I do not begrudge anyone seeking these out and enjoying them.

Of course, Brokeback is large enough to encompass all our desires and interpretations. That is as it should be. And my own little shadowy copse of death preserved and grieved over need not impinge on the sunnier slopes that many others wish to explore. So I hope we can be friends and allies...if not, it is not due to my lack of effort to extend understanding and good will.

Peace,
Scott

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2006, 04:59:04 pm »
Mojo,

Our official rubric on Fan Fiction is that ALL types, genres (if we could be so pompous as to call them genres) are welcome, and that every author (or fan for that matter) is free to create a topic for a discussion, a fic, or a subject in the realm of discussion.  Here there is no popularity contest, and there is room on the mountain for all fics, and a tolerance for all opinions, without the need to be fearful of personal attack or unwanted criticism.

This is the official philosophy of Bettermost: to finish the story, in Annie Proulx's words... in our own lives, and in our own fics!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Egads
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2006, 05:04:27 pm »
Hmmmm....it seems that my offering of my own preferences (even more than I hope they can be described as opinions, although they are that too) seems to have been misconstrued as some kind of descriptive admonition as to how our fandom writers should proceed.

I didn't take it that way Scott... you can count me friend and ally, 'kay?

I think we are all just enjoying being able to say what we think... as Louise said, "without the need to be fearful of personal attack or unwanted criticism."

:)
Happy reading,
Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

midwest-girl

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2006, 05:48:21 pm »
I didn't take it that way Scott... you can count me friend and ally, 'kay?

I think we are all just enjoying being able to say what we think... as Louise said, "without the need to be fearful of personal attack or unwanted criticism."

Happy reading,
Kelly

I agree with you guys, at least in part.  I think criticism is fine, so long as it's respectful and is critical of the story, not the author.  I mean, I was an English major in college and at least half our time in class was spent criticizing literature and characterizations.  I think that's a fundamental part of reading and writing.  But I also agree that personal attacks are wrong and spiteful criticism has no place on these types of forums.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2006, 08:18:09 am »
I think criticism is fine, so long as it's respectful and is critical of the story, not the author.  I mean, I was an English major in college and at least half our time in class was spent criticizing literature and characterizations. 

I was a theatre major, and we did the same. The standard for plots was whether they were believable, had good pacing and held the reader's/viewer's interest among other objective standards. And characters' actions were judged on how they fit into the overall plot/theme/characterizations rather than whether or not their actions were consistent with what readers/viewers wanted them to be doing.  Beatrice gave a pretty good summary of 'criticizing while you read' a page back.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 08:27:44 am by Marge_Innavera »

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2006, 11:08:50 am »
Good critical analysis, devoid of emotion and personal agenda - that's someting I'm always open for. Alas, that is not likely to happen for anyone when names and such get in the way.

Perhaps it's the stories themselves that should be posted anonymously, not the comments. This way a fic could be judged on merit alone and not the popularity of it's author.

Of course, that still woudn't stop the gangs of thugs running around behind the scenes.

B
"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2006, 11:41:35 am »
Interesting suggestion... having authors be anonymous...
I remember my senior seminar class in college.. we all had to grade each other and sign our names, and of course we all had to speak, and our teachers reviewed all of our comments as well...  so you wanted to sound intelligent so the teachers would know you were paying attention, you wanted to sound intelligent to impress your friends/future colleagues, but of course you didn't want to come across as mean or arrogant, as you knew you would also be subjected to criticism/review...

Well, I think I digress a little... enjoyed the trip down memory lane, regardless.
 ;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger