Author Topic: Mon jardin 2009  (Read 120198 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Mon jardin 2009
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2009, 05:58:51 pm »
Let's revisit one of the two main patches of ground flox

that gash in the leaf (2/3 of the way up the picture) is prob'ly another minor bit of damage caused by the hail storm
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:36 pm »
And the other variety

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2009, 10:52:08 pm »
it is like something out of a Disney movie or a fairy tale...you can't even see the ground for all the flowers..and they are all one level...like a carpet..

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2009, 02:06:25 pm »
The violas, from the other side of the tree ...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2009, 10:29:57 pm »
Not much happening in the yard lately. It's been cold - for May. Made the tulips last longer but slowed down the blossoming of other plants.

There will soon be at least one other variety of iris out and the aliums are begining to blossom - but they're nowhere as large as they once were.

This evening's pic is a revisit, though the plant looks a lot more spread out than before. I was calling it a flox-like plant, but this weekend Bryan remembered the name of it - and I must say, I don't recall it flowering in a number of years.

It's called Silver dollar.

Hard to explain why the name at this point, but when the seed sack matures, I'll post them and the reason for the plant's name will likely become more evident.

also, you will note the cage ... I caged up the peonies a little earlier this year.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2009, 07:14:35 am »
the bi-coloured dwarf iris are still producing. They only bloom for a couple a days but I figure I'll have had over a two dozen of em this year.  :D

Offline Zander

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No reins on me.
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2009, 07:53:24 am »
Not much happening in the yard lately. It's been cold - for May. Made the tulips last longer but slowed down the blossoming of other plants.

There will soon be at least one other variety of iris out and the aliums are begining to blossom - but they're nowhere as large as they once were.

This evening's pic is a revisit, though the plant looks a lot more spread out than before. I was calling it a flox-like plant, but this weekend Bryan remembered the name of it - and I must say, I don't recall it flowering in a number of years.

It's called Silver dollar.

Hard to explain why the name at this point, but when the seed sack matures, I'll post them and the reason for the plant's name will likely become more evident.

also, you will note the cage ... I caged up the peonies a little earlier this year.

This is Lunaria annua commonly known as Honesty, Silver Dollar, Money Plant, Moonwort and Bolbonac.  It's called Lunaria after the latin for moon (luna)- your pictures of it later in the year wil make sense of this ;)

Offline Zander

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No reins on me.
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2009, 03:29:51 pm »
Any plant people here?  This week is Chelsea flower show, see the highlights here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/chelsea/

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »
As I said before the alliums are going to be a lot smaller than when we first got em some 5 years ago. As much as a third as large. This is an early picture ... (2 days ago)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2009, 08:09:38 am »
I need to get the camera out ... this is my last 'new' picture - 3 days old

My first update on the lilac tree blossoms. A pretty sunny one, hun?