Author Topic: Mon jardin 2009  (Read 121021 times)

injest

Re: Mon jardin 2009
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2009, 11:59:01 pm »
Actually I've cut back lately. The price of 'no-name' pop has invreased by 50% in the past couple of years (0,79$ to 1,19$). So I've cut back. Plus the aspartame is not great on muscle mass (it accelerates muscle wastage - a problem that is already inherant with my condition - not to mention getting older).

Those bottles are used as cloches to protect the tomato plants against frost, so I've been saving them for over a month.

ah! I thought maybe they were for watering, I know some people put two liter bottles with holes punched along the sides in their garden to cut down on water use, they go out and fill the bottles and the water seeps out slowly, uses way less water then just a sprinkler and encourages root growth.

How do you turn your compost? that looks like an upside down garbage can..

injest

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2009, 11:59:48 pm »
Here's a second variety of dwarf iris - photo taken yesterday - after the hail storm had done it's damage.

AFTER? that isnt' so bad at all

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2009, 12:20:00 am »
How do you turn your compost? that looks like an upside down garbage can..

I don't actually. Byan sometimes puts a pichfork in there to allow some air in among the setling compost. One thing for sure ...emptying out the old composter allowed me to discover there were a LOT of worms working in there.

AFTER? that isnt' so bad at all

The worse damage was done to my coleus. I just picked up those branches and put em in water. They'll grow roots and make all new sell-able plants (lemon = lemonade). Some of the tulips lost some of their petals and a few stems were broken off. And you can see in that yellow dwarf iris picture that the leaves appear to have been bruised.

I've also gotten a second iris (of the blue/green variety), but the first one's already started wilting away - won't be able to get a good picture of the two of them (though there may yet be more dwarf iris opening up). You can see the old one in behind the yellow dwarf iris picture.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2009, 06:31:08 am »
Here's an attempt at a picture of both green/blue dwarf iris - post hail storm.

Wonder if some of those buds have opened up today ...

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2009, 04:48:50 pm »
The Queen of the Night tulips are coming up all over the place. This may not be a great picture of em, but it's in an area I didn't expect - between the garage & the house. (note the dbl blm buttercups, in the background, are beginning to show too)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 04:51:03 pm »
Here's an attempt at a picture of both green/blue dwarf iris - post hail storm.

Wonder if some of those buds have opened up today ...

They have!  :)  :D   :o ;D You just wait & see!

injest

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 08:02:45 pm »
They have!  :)  :D   :o ;D You just wait & see!

tease

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »
Here they are.

Last year I don't think I got even one.

The year before, I believe I got just one: I figured it was because it was the year in a new location.

Three years ago, I may have had 2 - but NEVER have I seen more than 3 of em since we got these beauties maybe 10 years ago.

There will have been 7 or 8 of em this year!  ;D

injest

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2009, 10:52:54 pm »
they ARE beautiful..

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:12 am »
Part grape hyacinth/ part dbl blm grape hyacinth? I do believe I detect a spiral patern again.