Author Topic: The Garden Shed  (Read 20720 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Hail! Hail! The Hail Storm Commeth
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 10:37:44 am »
Bryan's on my case again!  >:(

Anyways, Off Topic a little:

This morning while I was waiting in line at the grocery store, (around 9 am) It got really dark out. Night lights were turning on outside. Suddenly there was this very loud noise happening. I made the comment 'Here comes the fireworks'.

It took a few seconds (10?) before word got around that it was hailing outside. I've only experienced hail about once every 5 years or so, so this is almost as rare (to me) as the Northern Lights.

Well it turns out that this particular hail storm was even rarer than the Northern Lights. The most remarkable hail storm I'd ever experienced before (at least to my recollection) was one where hail was a half (maybe a full) centimeter across - back when I was still driving a motorcycle - over a decade ago.

The hail was replaced with rain (when I decided I would head for home). I picked up a couple a hail balls & they were a full inche (2 to 3 cm across). Then there was heavy rain (when I decided it best to try and run some). By the time I got home some 5 minutes later the rain had gone through heavy & light phases including some more smaller sized hail balls coming down. Of course I was soaked. But I knew I had to take some pictures. I hastily went outside to collect some hail balls and took the following picture from inside the house, as smaller hail balls were still coming down along with somewhat heavy rain. I took 3 pictures and the flash worked in all cases - that's how dark it was - in spite of the fact that I was 'shooting' with outdoor lighting.

Now remember - it's about 17c (60+f)  and the larger balls had fallen over 5 minutes earlier ...

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 10:41:26 am »
This picture was taken a few minutes later.

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 10:51:18 am »
I've checked out the local news reports.

One image has a penny next to much smaller hail ball  ::)

Other reports are saying - as large as a nickel - as large as a toonie. Guess I got to see some of the largest balls!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: The Garden Shed
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 11:36:43 am »
Those hail pieces have balls on them the size of apples!  ;D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

Re: Hail! Hail! The Hail Storm Commeth
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 12:55:57 pm »
I've checked out the local news reports.

One image has a penny next to much smaller hail ball  ::)

Other reports are saying - as large as a nickel - as large as a toonie. Guess I got to see some of the largest balls!

*MUST NOT...NO!! DON'T GO THERE...STOP!!*

so.....you've seen big balls huh??

;D ;D ;D

hey I TRIED not to!!

injest

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 12:57:08 pm »
what is Bryan on your case about?

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
what is Bryan on your case about?

What I charged for those plants a couple a days ago. The only plants I over-priced were the two colombines. On the other hand, she got a bargain on the giant daylilies, (and she got 8 of those) so I don't feel guilty.

injest

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 01:02:49 pm »
What I charged for those plants a couple a days ago. The only plants I over-priced were the two colombines. On the other hand, she got a bargain on the giant daylilies, (and she got 8 of those) so I don't feel guilty.

no, as you pointed out, she bought a trunk load...if they weren't worth the price you were asking, she wouldn't have bought so many. She might have bought one or two to be polite but not a bunch. Apparently they were worth that much to her..your customer..and that is how a good businessman works, selling the product at the price the market will bear. If sales fall off, you can always lower your prices..it is hard to RAISE them.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 05:29:54 am »
Put the sign up on my lawn 4 days early (yesterday evening).

Looks like an 8 year old made it - Yup it says PlANTS 4 SALE.

injest

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:02:26 am »
Put the sign up on my lawn 4 days early (yesterday evening).

Looks like an 8 year old made it - Yup it says PlANTS 4 SALE.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think it is cute...but I know that wasnt' what you were going for...

took me a minute but then I saw what you mean..you used capital letters for all the other letters but not the 'L'..cant you just get your marker and make it a little leg??