Author Topic: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist  (Read 24438 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 08:04:32 pm »
wearing socks with scandals is commonly seen among biking people, other athletes, and people who have an affinity to catching athletes foot. the chafing of the scandals or flip flops on unprotected skin provides a highly suseptible field for infection.

Then why wear sandals at all then? These people could just wear shoes.  Seems to me that thick socks, wet-with-sweat, would be a great environment for fungal growth, even with sandals.   ???

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »
Its just the "Aggies" Laura, we have learned to be patient with them here in Texas. 

Sure enough Brokeplex.  Some of them, from what we've seen, may have other talents!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 10:13:31 pm »
I can't wear my sandals with socks. They would fall off.

At least I think they would.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 10:36:35 pm »

I don't wear sandals myself. Can't stand 'em, actually. On other people, either. Most people do not have attractive feet. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 12:24:19 am »
Its just the "Aggies" Laura, we have learned to be patient with them here in Texas. 

HEY!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline optom3

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 10:04:39 am »

Not only that, it just looks plain silly.
I thought it was just a Brit. thing, but since this seemingly innocent thread started, I have been looking around and sure enough, lots of Americans here in Florida wear white socks and sandals.The sporting type sandals with one strap and knobbly soles. It seems to be a fashion thing, as it is the same people who wear their shorts down by their knees.
That is another thing I can't get my head round, they walk round trying to stop the front of their shorts from falling right down and exposing everything. I noticed it when I was working at the store, young black Americans (is that  P.C ?) walking round with shorts about 10 sizes too big would arrive at the register, desperately trying to hold up their shorts, get out their money and talk on the cell phone, madness !!!
I used to wait in anticipation of them dropping one thing, unfortunately it was never their shorts. :)
I must be getting old, I don't "get" the fashion, and music and the police look younger than James !

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 10:21:34 am »
Yeah, those shorts the youngens wear now, the not only look awful, they cant be that comfortable, hanging around their arse all the time, and the fork hanging down near their knees.

I'm like you Fi, 12 months behind the fashions of the young ones......the first time I ever saw a young kid wearing those baggy hanging shorts, was down at Hervey Bay, which is a beachside suburb. I watched this kid walking along the footpath, with shorts on that looked like they were 10 sizes too big, and I felt sorry for him. I thought he must have either lost his own shorts at the beach, or got them wet, and had to borrow someone elses, who happend to be a lot bigger than he was. I thought, "you poor kid, having to walk down the street in ovesized shorts, that even showed the top of his undies".

Oh and sandals and socks.....oh no no no......socks must always be covered by shoes, always. Its as big a turn off as blokes wearing socks to bed, nothing is more than a turn off, than a naked or half naked man, with bloody socks on....oh I could throw up.  Bob and I had a standing joke, if he wears socks to bed......he will do a little piroquet acting sexy, and I will roll over and say, "well obviously you dont want sex tonight, good night".....then we burst out laughing.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 06:50:54 pm »

Sure enough Brokeplex.  Some of them, from what we've seen, may have other talents!

and I can confirm that your surmise is correct.

During my years at UT Austin, I managed to sneak away for a few weekends to make the 90 mile drive over to College Station for some interesting encounters.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 06:54:49 pm »
HEY!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Sorry, I forgot your son is at TAMU.  :(

But you know the old Aggie joke here in Texas - "What do you call an Aggie after he graduates?" "Boss"

There is no doubt the Aggie network does more to promote and help its alums than any other university I am familiar with.

So, I am certain your son will have no difficulty finding a great career.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 10:32:31 pm »
It seems to be a fashion thing, as it is the same people who wear their shorts down by their knees.
That is another thing I can't get my head round, they walk round trying to stop the front of their shorts from falling right down and exposing everything. I noticed it when I was working at the store, young black Americans (is that  P.C ?) walking round with shorts about 10 sizes too big would arrive at the register, desperately trying to hold up their shorts, get out their money and talk on the cell phone, madness !!!
I used to wait in anticipation of them dropping one thing, unfortunately it was never their shorts. :)

Tell you what, that has got to be about the dumbest fashion thing ever. I saw a kid once who's shorts were hanging so low you could see almost all of his underwear-covered butt. How he kept the pants from falling--not to mention how he could walk with his pants riding that low--I never did figure out. Good for a laugh, though.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.