Author Topic: Interesting article about celebrity gay gossip. Discusses Jake Gyllenhaal.  (Read 25207 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
But, the tone of many (although certainly not all) of the questions seem to include that grain of meaning that leads to the idea that the interviewers are expecting their audience to be uncomfortable with the subject matter - or think it's way out of the realm of typical experience, etc.  In making this assumption about the general audience, I think a lot of these interviews do foster or help create the idea that this subject matter should be seen as uncomfortable.

I have the same view - as mentioned in a previous post around here somewhere.

BUT, then there's a thought that struck me. It may be way off.... Probably is.

What if many of the media people really were fascinated by the kissing scenes, thought them pretty hot,  and because of that as well as such scenes' general rarity in mainstream movies would like to talk about them? But then they *assume* their audience would surely be uncomfortable with the kissing scenes, so dare not approach it in any other way than through that negative angle, projecting onto their audience and the actors alike the assumption of discomfort. While the audience watches the media stuff and gets annoyed with all the "were you uncomfortable/frightened" questions, - since they themselves found the kisses more fascinating than anything and don't want to approach them as uncomfortable, though they absolutely don't mind hearing more about the love scenes.....

I suppose this comes from the thought that it can't be just me who've watched the two tent scenes and the reunion more times than many other parts of the film - and certainly *not* because I'm uncomfortable with those scenes!  ;)

Perhaps a lot of media people and their readers / viewers are assuming that everyone else are uncomfortable,  while in reality the uncomfortable ones are in the minority? (At least among those who've been "comfortable" enough to go see the film in the first place.... ) Perhaps discomfort at same-sex kisses is a self-perpetuating myth as much as anything?

Have anyone ever seen an interview with either of the leads where the obligatory kissing question was asked along the lines of "Wow!  You were amazing! How did you ever manage to convey so much smoking hot blazing-off-the-charts passion"?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:15:16 am by Mikaela »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
Have anyone ever seen an interview with either of the leads where the obligatory kissing question was asked along the lines of "Wow!  You were amazing! How did you ever manage to convey so much smoking hot blazing-off-the-charts passion"?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think you've just hit on the reason why I kept reading all those interviews, even when they were really, really lame...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
Sorry for the aside, but I'm having a moment here filling in Barb's story -

from out of the shadows, he walked like a dream.  Looking very freshly-scrubbed, with hair still wet from the shower, slicked back, and in comfortable but crisp looking street clothes.  He lasered me with those eyes

He all but whispered,

trying to will me to look at him, but I couldn't.  I'd taken one glance at those eyes, which were as clear and *green* (in that light) as peridots and was afraid I'd

I backed away

"May I hold your hand?"
so quiet and deliberate in his movements,

to do again a few hours later
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Do ya think I have a future in drugstore romance novels, Silk?  ;)
No more beans!

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good

See for yourselves.  Wouldn't you agree?

;D

Hey great memory-sharing there Barb, I am so happy for you, and I don't even know who this guy is!  :)

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good

Now that would have made for an interesting interview instead of the same ol' tired BS question that was continually thrown-up. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:03:26 am by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Hey Barb -

You got a start going there, but I'm thinking the parts I filled in would make for some mighty fine reading too!!!   :P

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Hey Barb -

You got a start going there, but I'm thinking the parts I filled in would make for some mighty fine reading too!!!   :P

Another Playgirl fan!  ;)
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Now that would have made for an interesting interview instead of the same ol' tired BS question that was continually thrown-up.

Egg-zactly.  Though I must say I'd find that even kind of an inane question.  There are two schools of thought on where such smokin' hot chemistry comes from.  Mine always used to be that you can't act it - it's either there or it isn't.  But since I've read that Jake said he didn't feel an attraction for some of his counterparts that you'd have thought he would have and did for others, and since every FREAKIN' time I watch him kiss another person onscreen I find it hot as Hades, I can only conclude that maybe you can.  (And it's not just because I have a mind-numbing crush on him - I have a mind-numbing crush on my Rafe-ie-kins, too, and there have been times I've felt nada when watching him kiss someone I could clearly see he wasn't really jonesin' for.)

My point - and I do have one! - is that either it's just there to begin with and is undeniable, or they're both amazingly talented actors, or, in this case, both.  There is no other answer, so why ask the question if not to satisfy some other agenda?
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Hey great memory-sharing there Barb, I am so happy for you, and I don't even know who this guy is!  :)

I take it you haven't seen "The English Patient?"  That's the one that pretty much sealed the deal for me.  My condolenses.  Allow me to rectify that forthwith:

OK, all.  Sorry for the asides.  Carry on.   :-*

No more beans!