Author Topic: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?  (Read 81396 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »
I was thinking of seeing Away We Go this pm, and would appreciate a review from a Brokie.

There's a great article on Nora Ephron in this week's New Yorker, which touches on her new movie Julie and Julia. I can't imagine Meryl Streep as Julia Child (who I met once) so this is a must-see for me!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:39:19 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 04:43:06 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81pGaV9RIbA[/youtube]

This looks hilarious.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 08:43:13 pm »
Thanks, friend. That does look good!! I'd better not go with an empty stomach!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:20 am »
Over 400 views yet only 7 people cared to vote? No wonder the motion picture industry is declining!!  :-\

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 06:56:21 am »
OK, I voted and I voted for "Other". The only film I *know* I'll be seing without a hint of a doubt isn't on your list - The Half Blood Prince. Fresh Alan Rickman as Snape.... wild horses couldn't drag me away!  :P

I also hope to go see Julie and Julia, Cheri and certainly 500 DAys of Summer.

I think I was nearly scared off your list by the prominent placement of "Mysterious Skin". Yes, I've seen it, and it really takes a person summoning strenght and courage to do so.... not exactly standard light summer fare!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 07:23:06 am »
Over 400 views yet only 7 people cared to vote? No wonder the motion picture industry is declining!!  :-\

I didn't vote because there are no movies I plan to watch (what did you just say about the movie industry declining? ::)).

But then I remembered that in fact I do plan to see a movie: Ice Age 3 (and I voted!).
The kids want to see it. Now, lets see if there are other reasons for the declining movie industry than desinterest of people:

I will go, plus my three kids, plus a friend of my daughter = 5 people. Approx entrence fee is 6 € pp.

Then of course every child wants a small popcorn or silimar, and a small beverage (me, too). Popcorn is 2,20; soda is 2,20€.
Makes 10,40€ per person. X 5 = 52€ = 72$.

My kids are not overly demanding, and I think the smallest popcorn size available and the smallest soda availabe are reasonable wishes. But an afternoon at the movies for 72$? That's something which is only infrequently on our schedule.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
I didn't vote because there are no movies I plan to watch (what did you just say about the movie industry declining? ::)).

But then I remembered that in fact I do plan to see a movie: Ice Age 3 (and I voted!).
The kids want to see it. Now, lets see if there are other reasons for the declining movie industry than desinterest of people:

I will go, plus my three kids, plus a friend of my daughter = 5 people. Approx entrence fee is 6 € pp.

Then of course every child wants a small popcorn or silimar, and a small beverage (me, too). Popcorn is 2,20; soda is 2,20€.
Makes 10,40€ per person. X 5 = 52€ = 72$.

My kids are not overly demanding, and I think the smallest popcorn size available and the smallest soda availabe are reasonable wishes. But an afternoon at the movies for 72$? That's something which is only infrequently on our schedule.

I hear you Chrissi.

We saw Ice Age 3 two days ago with the kids and my nephew. The total cost of the tickets was 51 euros, the candy and bottled water was 27 euros.

:o

The tickets were more expensive because the movie is in 3D. They gave us these special glasses (we all looked great wearing them  ;D). The movie was well worth it though. We had a great time.

But not something for every week.  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 10:24:43 am »
I have seen Cheri and thought it was so-so, except for the exquisite costumes and sets and the eye candy provided by Rupert Friend, who looks like Orlando Bloom's brother.

Also must see Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock, the Harry Potter movie, Meryl Streep's Julia Child and Woody Allen's latest.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 10:32:32 am »
I have seen Cheri and thought it was so-so, except for the exquisite costumes and sets and the eye candy provided by Rupert Friend, who looks like Orlando Bloom's brother.

Also must see Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock, the Harry Potter movie, Meryl Streep's Julia Child and Woody Allen's latest.

Okay, I added HP and the Half-Blood Prince and Taking Woodstock. You can edit your votes if you want! Thanks for voting!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 04:06:01 pm »
Nine of the first ten selections are available on DVD!

Considering the high cost of movies (especially in Europe...shocking!) and how difficult it is to go to the movies with our busy lives, that says a lot about the movie Brokeback Mountain, which all of us made time to see, sometimes multiple times!!

Okay, I am starting to get an idea of the lineup of our summer movie festival, but I need just a few more voters!