Author Topic: If I Asked by Midwest-girl  (Read 51821 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: If I Asked by Midwest-girl
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 05:53:07 pm »
Amy! Lovely to see you here! "If I asked" has made me your delighted fangirl. Thank you for sharing IIA with us and best of luck with your future writing.  :)

(I know you've moved off into writing quite a different and AU take on J&E, and I'm sure that will be geat as well. Nevertheless, if you'd ever feel like writing a IIA sequel, I for one would be absolutely thrilled. And as far as I can judge, IIA lends itself better to a sequel than many other BBM fics, since I agree with Ennis that the invisible bubble the IIA boys are living in can't last. Sooner or later the gossip will be too persistent, too many people will know or suspect, Ennis's girls will hear nasty words and be teased by other kids - and what happens then? I've been speculating a bit about that, because IIA seems so real and your Jack and Ennis so alive that they sure invite readers' imaginations to continue their story! )

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 06:52:31 am »
Nevertheless, if you'd ever feel like writing a IIA sequel, I for one would be absolutely thrilled.

Oh yes!!!  :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 03:42:57 am »
I have read chapter1; where is chapter 2? "brokebackslash" isn't exactly helpful!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 03:56:42 am »
I have read chapter1; where is chapter 2? "brokebackslash" isn't exactly helpful!

http://midwest-girl.livejournal.com/

JUlie, go to this webpage, they are all on one page, all on the same page.  Go to the bottom for Chapter 1, then scroll up for the rest of the chapters.

J

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

mvansand76

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 07:22:30 am »
Hi Midwest Amy,

I've read many fanfics now and I love em all, but I have to say that If I Asked, is my absolute favourite ... I love love love it!  I've printed it all off and filed it away so that I can enjoy it over and over again .... or I can just fast forward to the mirror scene  ;) (phew  :o )

You have a wonderful gift Amy, I'm so happy you decided to share it with the rest of us!

Susie

Hey Susie,

Amy has left Bettermost, but I will make sure she gets your message!

Hugs, Mel

mvansand76

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 07:54:00 am »
Awww  :'( .. why?  :-\

She has decided to move on and focus on her original novel!  :D

Have you already read her amazing story Shades of Grey?

mvansand76

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 11:56:08 am »
It's top of my list Mel ... I've already downloaded it for later! I can't wait to read it after all the wonderful things you've said about it!   She really is an amazing writer!

Havent' you written something Mel?  I'm sure someone mentioned it when I first joined Bettermost. I'd love to read it!

Susie

Oh you're gonna LOOOOOOVE it... Please let us know as soon as you finished it! I am so jealous of you that you are starting it now! Wish I could read ti for the first time again! This is one of my favorite stories together with IIA!

I have written and finished Right Where You Are (an AU) and I am writing two AU/AU's right now, called Liberation (WW2 setting) and Altitude (contemporary setting)!

Here's the link to my livejournal:

http://rightwhere-u-r.livejournal.com

Speak to you later, Susie! (I am in England now by the way, where are you exactly in the UK?)

:-* Mel
Hugs, Mel

mvansand76

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 02:56:36 am »
Gosh ... so much to read .. there's just never enough time .. never enough!  I can't wait to read some of your work Mel!!

Susie 

ps. Are you living here now, or just over for a holiday?  I'm from Robin Hood Country .... that sounds so romantic ... "Nottingham" doesn't sound nearly as glamorous!

I'm at my sister's now in Hertfordshire! I live in Holland normally, but I am here for a week and we're flying back to the Netherlands on Friday together!

I looooove Robin Hood and I was even thinking of a BBM/Robin Hood crossover for the fandomj! LOL! Can you imagine J&E steraling from the rich and giving to the poor?

LOL!

Hugs, Mel

retropian

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 10:24:36 pm »
I reread this story, finishing last night. I wanted to post a comment on her livejournal account but I guess she decided to remove her writings and close her account more than a year ago. :'( I wanted to ask her if she had plans for an epilogue. The story ends in November 1968 almost exactly 40 years ago now. I was wondering what she thought Jack and Ennis were up to now. Did Jack die in 1983 despite so tenaciously fighting for the sweet life with Ennis. Was that his fate? his 'time' no matter what course his life took? If so how did Ennis cope? How is he today. did he keep the Ranch? What happened to Ralph and Meredith? did Alma find happiness with Monroe and forgive Ennis? If Jack was not destined to die in 1983, how are he and Ennis doing now? They'd be in their mid sixties now. How would they be perceived in Riverton today? So many questions. I guess they seem real to me in a way.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 01:21:21 pm »
I reread this story, finishing last night. I wanted to post a comment on her livejournal account but I guess she decided to remove her writings and close her account more than a year ago. :'( I wanted to ask her if she had plans for an epilogue. The story ends in November 1968 almost exactly 40 years ago now. I was wondering what she thought Jack and Ennis were up to now. Did Jack die in 1983 despite so tenaciously fighting for the sweet life with Ennis. Was that his fate? his 'time' no matter what course his life took? If so how did Ennis cope? How is he today. did he keep the Ranch? What happened to Ralph and Meredith? did Alma find happiness with Monroe and forgive Ennis? If Jack was not destined to die in 1983, how are he and Ennis doing now? They'd be in their mid sixties now. How would they be perceived in Riverton today? So many questions. I guess they seem real to me in a way.

Hi retropian,

Actually it was only last week that Amy (midwest-girl) took down her journal.  After "If I Asked" she wrote a an AU/AU entitled "Shades of Grey" and then about a year ago she began another AU/AU entitled "Turbulence."  After just a couple of chapters she informed her readers that she was sorry she wouldn't be finishing that story, b/c she had realized that writing fanfic was distracting her from writing an original novel she was putting together and that she would be putting all her future writing efforts into that.  Unfortunately, I think that leaves the possibility of a sequel to "If I Asked" virtually nil.  I agree that it is a beautifully written story - all her characters seem real to me, too.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain