Author Topic: Interesting essay about BBM - the movie and short story  (Read 21703 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Interesting essay about BBM - the movie and short story
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 04:13:12 pm »
Many thanks for reading - and thank you to Leslie for the tip-off! The comments are much appreciated.

Apologies to Jeff for my misunderstanding of the text - I just always thought like it seemed as if it was indoors in the book - probably just my assumption! Though I do think I remember Alma opening the door halfway through the clinch and seeing Ennis' heaving shoulders as he was kissing Jack and it felt like they were all in the same space?? Or maybe that's just me! It has been known ...

If so though, it was probably an outdoor landing if it was the laundry? Either way, my ignorance of US houses shines bright. I'm not allowed out much, you see ...

;D

Hugs and thanks to all

Axxx

Oh, my heavens! You have no need to apologize to me! It's true that I think you misread the Reunion--forgive me, that sounds kind of harsh to write it that way--but I suppose the only person who really knows for sure is Annie Proulx, and I suppose she's not telling!  ;D

And regardless of my disagreement with you, thank you for a thoughtful and beautifully written "appreciation" of the story and the film!

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 05:35:03 pm »
I really enjoyed that article.

I am going to leave her a comment.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:34 pm »
Welcome to Bettermost, Anne!  It's great to see you here.  As I told you in my comment, your essay was so eloquent and thoughtful.  I hope you take a look around the forum and give us some more of your thoughts!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline AnneBrooke

• Don't Say Much
    • Anne's Website
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 02:29:06 pm »
Thank you for the welcome - much appreciated! And what a great site it is. Lovely to be here.

And, thinking about what Jeff has said, I'd sooo love to meet Annie Proulx one day - though knowing me I'd be tongue-tied and she'd think I was a total idjit or something!!

::)

Axxx

Not very lovable but surprisingly humane ...

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 05:32:52 pm »
Thank you for the welcome - much appreciated! And what a great site it is. Lovely to be here.

And, thinking about what Jeff has said, I'd sooo love to meet Annie Proulx one day - though knowing me I'd be tongue-tied and she'd think I was a total idjit or something!!

::)

Axxx

Hi Anne,

I've read your essay...it's very articulate and well thought out.  I'm a BBM fan who saw the movie first and read the short story later, and I love both.  I look at them as separate works of art, the movie based on the short story with variations.  I'm not articulate at all but don't sell yourself short.  I'm sure Annie Proulx would not think you're an idjit by a long shot imo.

Thanks for your wonderful essay, I loved it.   :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 11:11:43 am »
Here's a nice essay that Vermont Sunset turned me on to:

Meditations on BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN: Multilayered Love Story

There are a couple of errors in it though.
"chewing gum and duct tape"