Author Topic: "The Wings" remixes get slaughtered with with Bad reviews on iTunes.  (Read 16158 times)

Surf

Re: "The Wings" remixes get slaughtered with with Bad reviews on iTunes.
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 05:10:42 pm »
Well................... there are two kinds of people: those that like to dance and those that do not.

I enjoy dancing, but...NOT to this.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 05:57:25 pm »
Those reviews really made me laugh.

See, the thing about dancing is that you do it with your body and a sense of space, filtering it lastly through your mind. 

From an intellectual standpoint, yes, it could be a very horrible experience listening to dance remixes, but only because you're filtering it through the wrong channel. 

If you listen to dance music with your body and heart, instead of your intellect, it can kick ass.  It's the same as the difference between rock music and soul music.  Generally, Rock is intellectual, whereas soul is more emotional (not a hard and fast rule in every case because each can have both attributes). 

Hey Jimmy, Jakatta is DJ Joey Negro.  I was wrong about it being T. Moran.

And there is only one beautiful guy in that photo - he's wearing ***a black necklace.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 06:04:40 pm by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 06:05:38 pm »
The reviews were written by Puritans!

Who can't feel the music in their hips...   :)  Hell, maybe they've never even been on a dancefloor...  If I'm not moving it at least once a week, I get seriously unhappy but that's another story...

And believe me, on a beautiful sunny day in Miami with 2,000 people (OK, men, hehe) dancing to The Wings (which was very subtly woven through this particular mix), it was a very uplifting experience.

It's a piece of music, not The Koran! (thanks, Paul...  ;D )

I have heard of Jakatta, Flash, but can't place him in particular...

And thank you! (I think? There are several guys wearing shades in that pic! Including Mr. Red Head. Harrumph! hehehe...)  ;)

I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 06:06:07 pm »
LOL, Clarissa!!  ;D

You can run your mouse over my face...  :o

OMG!   I need a cigarette!
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 06:17:37 pm »
Spooky, I changed it to black necklace to be more specific.

Jakatta (Tony Moran) produced  "American Beauty"- Jakatta, "So Lonely" w/ Sheila Chandra, "My Vision" - Seal, and the Theme From 6 Ft Under - Jakatta.  He does really great with sentimental strings and piano.  In the songs above he uses samples from American Beauty, Six Feet Under, and The Shawshank Redemption soundtracks.  I am still guessing that he will do something wonderful with Brokeback Mountain.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 07:04:16 pm »
OMG those are horrendous!  >:(

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2006, 08:30:50 pm »
Oh yeah, Flash!

The Jakatta remixes of American Beauty.  They are very lovely, very chill.

The Six Feet Under one is on a DVD of mine but alas not on any audio CD I currently own.

OK.  Black necklace then.  (Actually, rasta - red, yellow, green and black.   ;D  )

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 02:48:21 am »
I was wondering if there might be a remix of this song in particular.  I'm not against the idea per se.  I like the Photek remix of the Six Feet Under theme, and some of the Moulin Rouge remixes.  Out of the mixes on itunes, I only really like the Gabriel and Dresden mix because of the way it incorporates the original piece. 

The Wings is really the song that perfectly encapsulates the movie, the emotion, just the essence of the film, but I've always found it to be too short.  What I wish someone could do is a mix of the song that breaks it down and extends it to a longer version without adding or removing the instrumentation.

There's an extended mix of Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House that does this, and I found a bootleg mix of a Robbie Williams cover of Somethin' Stupid that does the same thing, kind of chop up and loop the song to let it go for like 8 minutes.  8 minutes of The Wings would be like...aaaaaahhh heaven!

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 02:51:44 am »
Ah, Juan!   :)

I have the original record (from what? 1986?) of the extended version of Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House.

Just adds a leisurely intro and a leisurely outro really, maintaining the complete integrity of the song.

Loved it from the minute I heard it!

It's in my iPod...   :)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2006, 02:53:29 am »
Yes yes yes!  Thank you!  You described it better than I did.  That's what I love about that version, so when I got obsessed with The Wings, I thought, oh I wish I could do that to this song...

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....