Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: Agents of the Law  (Read 156321 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: Agents of the Law
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2009, 02:23:31 am »
...and... better late than never...

Chapter 20:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/326624.html

I did take my late afternoon nap which helps clear my head...!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2009, 02:29:12 pm »
SPOILERS

Oh, Ellery.  Henry is certainly right that he doesn't want to look weak-minded and that's all mixed up with his desire to please Colson and also Wes who, truth be told, are both worried about his addictive tendencies.  I'm woefuly ignorant about drugs - I understand that methadone wouldn't give you the extreme "high" of morphine, but isn't it also addictive? 

I'm glad Henry is there.  He understands the situation and it has to be helpful to Edna to have some support while they wait for the Colson and Wes battalion to arrive.  And what's this?  Another young doctor in town .... Thanks, Louise!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2009, 08:36:20 pm »
SPOILERS

Oh, Ellery.  Henry is certainly right that he doesn't want to look weak-minded and that's all mixed up with his desire to please Colson and also Wes who, truth be told, are both worried about his addictive tendencies.  I'm woefuly ignorant about drugs - I understand that methadone wouldn't give you the extreme "high" of morphine, but isn't it also addictive? 

I'm glad Henry is there.  He understands the situation and it has to be helpful to Edna to have some support while they wait for the Colson and Wes battalion to arrive.  And what's this?  Another young doctor in town .... Thanks, Louise!

those young whippersnappers are popping up everywhere!  Yes, methadone is addictive as well, however its "reward threshold" is not as steep as morphine or heroin and that means that you don't go up as quickly and you don't go down as fast either - the loading of the drug and its half life are much longer, which makes it much safer.  For those addicted (and that means physically dependent upon, not emotionally tied to) morphine or heroin, the typical therapeutic approach is to replace the current dose of morphine by mixing it in parts and increasing the methadone while decreasing the morphine gradually in three stages until pain relief is steady, then gradually withdraw over 7 to 14 days by decreasing the dosage.  Cold turkey is a serious shock to the body and can produce convulsions and severe flu-like symptoms as well as emotional misery,  physical pain, debilitating headaches... I was never addicted to morphine but I have been to prednisone, and even following a doctor's withdrawal plan for it, staving off the withdrawal took literally months.  And I still had headaches - pounding, relentless headaches, and pain from head to toe.  There's no 'reward' sensation in the brain for steroids, either, I was taking them for asthma.  Withdrawal from morphine produces headaches, body aches, diarrhea, vomiting, emotional distress, insomnia... it goes on and on.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2009, 09:52:11 pm »
those young whippersnappers are popping up everywhere!  Yes, methadone is addictive as well, however its "reward threshold" is not as steep as morphine or heroin and that means that you don't go up as quickly and you don't go down as fast either - the loading of the drug and its half life are much longer, which makes it much safer.  For those addicted (and that means physically dependent upon, not emotionally tied to) morphine or heroin, the typical therapeutic approach is to replace the current dose of morphine by mixing it in parts and increasing the methadone while decreasing the morphine gradually in three stages until pain relief is steady, then gradually withdraw over 7 to 14 days by decreasing the dosage.  Cold turkey is a serious shock to the body and can produce convulsions and severe flu-like symptoms as well as emotional misery,  physical pain, debilitating headaches... I was never addicted to morphine but I have been to prednisone, and even following a doctor's withdrawal plan for it, staving off the withdrawal took literally months.  And I still had headaches - pounding, relentless headaches, and pain from head to toe.  There's no 'reward' sensation in the brain for steroids, either, I was taking them for asthma.  Withdrawal from morphine produces headaches, body aches, diarrhea, vomiting, emotional distress, insomnia... it goes on and on.

Ugh, that sounds absolutely dreadful!  And poor Ellery already has his share of "emotional distress" without the morphine withdrawal.  Thanks for the info!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2009, 01:59:18 pm »
Ugh, that sounds absolutely dreadful!  And poor Ellery already has his share of "emotional distress" without the morphine withdrawal.  Thanks for the info!

Heroin addiction is arguably harder than morphine addiction, since it has less side-effects.  Heroin was developed in Germany in the mid-19th century as a "less addictive" and more palatable formulation for cough medicine than morphine - morphine taken in liquid form is extremely bitter - and the 'more palatable' formulation ended up being more, not less, addictive because it did not have the countering effects of extreme nausea, vomiting and diarrhea that morphine produces.  However, heroin and morphine rank up there with cigarettes as the hardest-to-withdraw-from (cigarettes not only due to nicotine but also due to the endorphin rush that comes from killing all of those bronchial cilia in the lungs.)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2009, 05:24:03 pm »

I take methadone daily for pain relief.  It leaves me with extreme body aches and pains if I dont take it on a regular scheduled
time period.  It happens on days I oversleep.  I wake up feeling like I have been hit by a mack truck.  It takes effect very quickly
however, after being administered.  I dont feel hi or giddy or any of those kinds of side effects though.  Certainly no diaharreah.  If
anything, its the reverse.  It must have some kind of effect on the appatite as well.  I have lost considerable weight since I started
taking it. 
    That is the last thing Ellery needs.
     I have finally caught up with the story Louise, thank you very much for opening it to me..  Colson should send that daughter of
his back home "toot suit"  and tell her to mind her own beeswax.  Stay out of other peoples personal lives.......................

Beautiful mind

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2009, 05:30:36 pm »

I take methadone daily for pain relief.  It leaves me with extreme body aches and pains if I dont take it on a regular scheduled
time period.  It happens on days I oversleep.  I wake up feeling like I have been hit by a mack truck.  It takes effect very quickly
however, after being administered.  I dont feel hi or giddy or any of those kinds of side effects though.  Certainly no diaharreah.  If
anything, its the reverse.  It must have some kind of effect on the appatite as well.  I have lost considerable weight since I started
taking it. 
     I have finally caught up with the story Louise, thank you very much for opening it to me..  Colson should send that daughter of
his back home "toot suit"  and tell her to mind her own beeswax.  Stay out of other peoples personal lives.......................

the lack of "high" from methadone is part of what makes it a preferable drug to heroin or morphine for pain relief, and for an addiction treatment program.

Yay for getting caught up - it's a formidable task if you fall behind...!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2009, 02:14:03 am »
... and here is chapter 21!!!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/326732.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »

taking it. 

Janice, it's nice to see you  :)  I'm sorry about all your aches and pains, but I'm glad you're able to get some relief.

I agree that both of Colson's girls need to concentrate on their own lives - and not be interfering in his and Ellery's or Jeremy's and Nick's. 

SPOILERS

Oh, brother, Stevens is a bigger pain in the ass than ever and I can't imagine that Jeremy showing up will do anything to improve his behavior.  I like all the cultural references with the classic Coke and the Ritalin. 

“I don’t know yet, Drew. I might tell em he’s got ta use the alley from now on, but that’ll cause a problem for the State Farm agency I imagine.”

:laugh:  And I think that's something Drew probably could've kept to himself!  ::)  It's not like Joe doesn't have enough on his plate!  Thanks, Louise.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:05 pm »
Janice, it's nice to see you  :)  I'm sorry about all your aches and pains, but I'm glad you're able to get some relief.

I agree that both of Colson's girls need to concentrate on their own lives - and not be interfering in his and Ellery's or Jeremy's and Nick's. 

SPOILERS

Oh, brother, Stevens is a bigger pain in the ass than ever and I can't imagine that Jeremy showing up will do anything to improve his behavior.  I like all the cultural references with the classic Coke and the Ritalin. 

“I don’t know yet, Drew. I might tell em he’s got ta use the alley from now on, but that’ll cause a problem for the State Farm agency I imagine.”

:laugh:  And I think that's something Drew probably could've kept to himself!  ::)  It's not like Joe doesn't have enough on his plate!  Thanks, Louise.

Yes, he is... isn't he? a pain in the ass that is!

And Joe, well... Joe is Joe.  He's got his Classic Coke.  I didn't know this when I started this book, but it was July of 2005 when Coca Cola company began rebranding its machines for Classic Coke and withdrawing "New Coke" from shelves, considering it to be a taste and marketing failure, so I decided to make this a sort of an 80's culture reference that everyone would participate in if they were 'there'.