Author Topic: Really bad songs...(you know, the ones the dang radio won't STOP playing!)  (Read 3448 times)

injest

We all have them...songs that just make you want to pull your ears off your head! The ones that make you want to scream....but that wind up STUCK in your head and replay themselves til you want to stick a screwdriver in your ear to make it stop!

LOL!

Songs that invite hatred way out of proportion....ya'll know the songs....

I will start...

"Islands in the Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton...

won awards this song did...has anyone LISTENED to it? The first verse goes something like this...

'I set out to get you with at fine toothed comb'

I am serious I have nearly wrecked my car trying to turn off the radio before that line comes on. What is that? What is it supposed to mean? He is chasing someone around with a comb? These are supposedly the best country and western songwriters of their generation and THAT is the best they can come up with?

and the whole image...islands in the stream? islands never meet...that is not romantic!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
I'm really glad that you got that off of your chest there Jess  ;D - ever think that another radio channel might do the trick? - Maybe Denver?

Or maybe an i-pod with all your favourites,, plugged into the car for those long 14 hour drives where you can't choose the channel.  :laugh:

I'm 53 years old and, for the last 5 years, I've been enjoying, on CD's, on my i-pod, and yes, even on the radio, songs from before I was born. Don't focus much on the lyrics though, so don't have "really bad songs" to add to your list, but I'll be checking out this thread to see what else I shouldn't like ("Island in the Stream", for example, is not one of my favourites either, but that's because I vehemently dislike the melody).
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
or this...

"My Baby is American Made"

now this lovely song talks about his girlfriend...

the chorus goes

"My baby is American made
born and bred in the USA"
>:( >:( >:(                YES I HATE THIS ONE!!   I think this may be the most reprehensible song of all time.  He says he drives a foreign car and buys everything foreign but his girlfriend is American.

So he has NO COMPUNCTION about sending all his cash overseas BUT HE'S A RACIST!!!        >:( >:(

Well he has that right BUT IF HE WRITES A SONG ABOUT DON"T PLAY IT ON THE DANGED RADIO!!!

>:( >:( >:(
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

And the second unto it is likewise.

I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
WHERE AT LEAST I KNOW I'M FREE.

Free to do what? Shoot queers in the parking lot?

Bomb people in the middle east for cheap gas?

Either give me some specifics or go find out who's really paying for your "freedom."

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

And they died because we sent them to kill or die.  In Vietnam?     :-\

Don

Marge_Innavera

That old "Jack and Diane" song by John Melloncamp, back when he was called "John Cougar." They've been playing it for years and the blatant Springsteen imitations are painful to listen to.

"Lightning Strikes" - the one where the guy tells his girlfriend that she absolutely must be faithful to him, but he reserves the right to play around but oh baby, when we get married...
I'd love to think he eventually wound up in hock up to his ears paying alimony to three ex-wives and child support for 15 kids. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
I have always hated "Half Breed" by Cher. And "Indian Reservation" by Paul Revere and the Raiders. I just find both of those songs incredibly offensive...and they still get played.

I am with Roland...listening to a lot of CDs lately. My daughter got me the best of Cream for Christmas. Yesterday, we all commented on the stunning simplicity of the lyrics to "I'm So Glad."

I'm so glad,
I'm so glad,
I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad...

and so on.

I decided that Eric Clapton must have been really stoned when he wrote that one! But then, as I said to Hannah, it's all about the guitar...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

moremojo

That old "Jack and Diane" song by John Melloncamp, back when he was called "John Cougar." They've been playing it for years and the blatant Springsteen imitations are painful to listen to.
"Suckin' on chili dog, outside the Tastee Freeze..."--easily one of my least liked lines ever.