Author Topic: Gay Icon Immortalized  (Read 22841 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Gay Icon Immortalized
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 03:39:55 am »
I cant see the photos but this was the guy that there was a bit of contrversay over becasue the US media didn't pan in on his gay boyfriend but did on all the medal winners significant others?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 06:45:44 am »
Very cool pics and story, Kerry!  Thanks for sharing!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 06:47:27 am »
I cant see the photos but this was the guy that there was a bit of contrversay over becasue the US media didn't pan in on his gay boyfriend but did on all the medal winners significant others?

I believe that's true.  I don't remember the exact story....but I think it was that, or either when the network did their "fluff" piece on him  (where they discuss his pesonal life) they never mentioned his partner, but when they discussed other atheletes, they included spouses.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:43:30 am »
OK, he's going to get his own folder.  ;D

Some more pics for your MM folder . . . .

Matthew Mitcham
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:53 am »

Matthew Mitcham
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:47:59 am »

Matthew Mitcham
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 09:06:37 am »
I believe that's true.  I don't remember the exact story....but I think it was that, or either when the network did their "fluff" piece on him  (where they discuss his pesonal life) they never mentioned his partner, but when they discussed other atheletes, they included spouses.

Yes, that is correct. And speaking as an Australian, I am ashamed that Matthew has had a great deal of trouble attracting sponsors (endorsements). Australia is a sports-mad country. We are particularly proud of our Olympians, whom we usually venerate higher than all our other sportspeople (with the exception of the Australian Cricket Team perhaps). And yet, initially, Matthew was unable to attract any major endorsements, as witnessed by this Advocate banner headline. Can't imagine why. The Australian telecommunication facility, Telstra, has since stepped-up to the mark and is now sponsoring Matthew. Better late than never, I guess.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 09:13:40 am »

Here's the story, Kelda.

NBC censored gay Olympic champion Matthew Mitcham
By Staff Writer, Outside News Agency • August 26, 2008 - 0:28

US television network NBC censored the sexuality of Olympic gold medal diver, Matthew Mitcham it has been claimed.

After pulling off a last minute victory against the Chinese in the 10m dive, Mr Mitcham, while hugging his mother and his partner, he told reporters: "I want to thank absolutely everyone who helped; my partner Lachlan and my mum [Vivienne] here to support me and watch me get gold, because it was so important to have those two people here with me.

"I did not think I had a chance to get the gold and to actually get that was mind-blowing! I was crying thinking I had silver. And to get gold! I was a blubbering mess."

Despite intensive coverage by NBC of other Olympic athletes' families, Mr Mitcham's partner received virtually no attention during the network's coverage.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-8800.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 09:16:59 am »
Wow, his abs are like the Great Sand Dunes!! I just want to run up and down them!!

We all need to do some catch-up work on publicizing his win and his wonderful life and partner!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:10 am »

Here's the story, Kelda.

NBC censored gay Olympic champion Matthew Mitcham
By Staff Writer, Outside News Agency • August 26, 2008 - 0:28

US television network NBC censored the sexuality of Olympic gold medal diver, Matthew Mitcham it has been claimed.

After pulling off a last minute victory against the Chinese in the 10m dive, Mr Mitcham, while hugging his mother and his partner, he told reporters: "I want to thank absolutely everyone who helped; my partner Lachlan and my mum [Vivienne] here to support me and watch me get gold, because it was so important to have those two people here with me.

"I did not think I had a chance to get the gold and to actually get that was mind-blowing! I was crying thinking I had silver. And to get gold! I was a blubbering mess."

Despite intensive coverage by NBC of other Olympic athletes' families, Mr Mitcham's partner received virtually no attention during the network's coverage.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-8800.html

γνῶθι σεαυτόν