Author Topic: Writer's Thread?  (Read 8360 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Writer's Thread?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 12:30:06 pm »
There definitely seems to be some interest in this, although I think there might be some way to reach out to writers of fanfiction too. I will see what I can get started, and perhaps some moderator who is also a writer can tell me how to proceed with Philip??

I am working on six books, five nonfiction and 1 fiction. The novel is the one that's capturing all my attention now, and I am most apprehensive about because I never thought I had the imagination to write fiction. The title of the novel is "The."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 02:40:08 pm »

I am working on six books, five nonfiction and 1 fiction.

Wow, that's great, can you tell us what these books are about?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 04:57:55 pm »
There definitely seems to be some interest in this, although I think there might be some way to reach out to writers of fanfiction too. I will see what I can get started, and perhaps some moderator who is also a writer can tell me how to proceed with Philip??

I am working on six books, five nonfiction and 1 fiction. The novel is the one that's capturing all my attention now, and I am most apprehensive about because I never thought I had the imagination to write fiction. The title of the novel is "The."

I saw this thread a few weeks ago and now a few new postings today. Louise and I would really like to encourage the community of writiers here at bettermost...and not just fanfiction writers. We are even considering a name change for the forum to something like "Creative Writing and Fan Fiction/Poetry" although we have only discussed that between ourselves.

Anyway, FR...if you want to post links to your novel, or excerpts for criitique or whatever, please feel free to join us over in the fanfiction forum. You are welcome to join us even if what you are writing is not fanfiction.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 07:02:03 pm »
Thank you Leslie, I will definitely try that out! But how will writers of nonfanfiction know to come over there? Maybe Phillip could put up a banner ad. Thanks for yr interest, Jess, Mandy, and mvans. I have been working on the nonfiction books for several years. One is a cookbook, another is a nature journal, a third is a history of the area where I live, the fourth is sort of a text book about my profession (communications, natch  ;)) and the fifth is about literary criticism for book club members. It delves into reading "in layers" and takes the reader through five different novels/stories from different eras. Of course, Brokeback Mountain is one of them.

"The," my novel, is kind of hard to explain. It's about Theses and Athena, or about the relationship between "a" and "the," or about an American man and a British woman. And there are some animals in a desert, and a battle between Romania and Iran, and a bunch of other things. It's a lot like the performance of Broken-Arsed Mountain!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 06:36:57 am »
Thank you Leslie, I will definitely try that out! But how will writers of nonfanfiction know to come over there? Maybe Phillip could put up a banner ad. Thanks for yr interest, Jess, Mandy, and mvans. I have been working on the nonfiction books for several years. One is a cookbook, another is a nature journal, a third is a history of the area where I live, the fourth is sort of a text book about my profession (communications, natch  ;)) and the fifth is about literary criticism for book club members. It delves into reading "in layers" and takes the reader through five different novels/stories from different eras. Of course, Brokeback Mountain is one of them.

"The," my novel, is kind of hard to explain. It's about Theses and Athena, or about the relationship between "a" and "the," or about an American man and a British woman. And there are some animals in a desert, and a battle between Romania and Iran, and a bunch of other things. It's a lot like the performance of Broken-Arsed Mountain!!

Wow this sounds really interesting. Good idea of you Leslie to change the name of the fanfiction board. I am really now only in the process of starting to write again, and it will be in Dutch at first, because that is my native language, so there will not be a lot of people on this board who will be able to read the short stories in Dutch, but I might start writing in English too if I feel like I am able too. I work as a English-Dutch (vice-versa) translator for a market research company, but that's all technical writing, so I am not sure if I will be able to write directly in English... Anybody else who writes in English, while this is not his/her first language?

:)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 10:57:27 am »

This sounds really interesting! I would love to read some of it if you feel like posting a couple of chapters...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

injest

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 11:03:10 pm »
I have started an online writing course...I am very excited about it..

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 12:55:14 am »
Cool!  Where did you find it?  Can you tell us more about it?

Thanks...

(It may seem silly, but lately I have been longing for high school English class, where you get to write your opinions on stories/characters/plots/themes, etc... then your teacher gives you comments, and you get to do other little writing tasks...)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

injest

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 01:03:10 am »
well the lady is letting me take it for free...YAY...

my first assignment this week is to collect words...not to worry about the spelling or even the meaning but the sound and the feel

and to put them in groups...

(I am not supposed to look at next weeks assignment until next week!)

and I know it is simple but I don't know anything and will admit it!!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 01:12:33 am »
is it with a group of other students, via a college or university, or just a one-on-one kinda thing?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger