Author Topic: What's your favorite thing to do in fall?  (Read 42499 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What's your favorite thing to do in fall?
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:50:06 am »

We're in the last third of September, summer is undeniably over. Which I find always a bit depressing, because I looove summer and it's such a long time before we'll get another one.
But fall also has its positive sides, especially when the weather is good and you're lucky to have wonderful golden autumn days. Nature is beautiful with the bright foliage.

Fall in the Grand Tetons, Wyoming

So, what's you favorite thing to do in fall? Savoring the last rays of sunshine, being outdoors? Walking the dog early in the morning when every sound is subdued by deep hanging, misty clouds? Or packing away the garden furniture and putting up fall/Halloween decoration? Thanksgiving and Halloween are not far away for our American Brokie friends.
Maybe you live in an area where it's always warm and you love to go to the beach after the summer tourists are gone? Do you have a favorite fall picture? Are there specific traditions connected with fall where you live?

I'll share some of my favorite pasttimes in fall, and hope you'll share yours :).

Fall foliage in New Brunswick, Canada

Fall in Austria

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: What's your favorite thing to do in fall?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:59:07 am »
Well it's not raking leaves, I can promise you that!  >:(

:laugh:  :laugh:

I hate raking leaves.  :P

Chrissi, what are you doing? We still have at least 1 more day until Fall arrives! How dare you!  ;)

I guess my favorite thing to do in the Fall is to appreciate the blazing colors of the trees, the scent in the air, the cooling down of the outdoor temperatures and of course Halloween! I love Love LOVE Halloween! It is my favorite time of year, except for Christmas. Christmas is my number one holiday!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:08:10 am »
Well it's not raking leaves, I can promise you that!  >:(

:laugh:  :laugh:

I hate raking leaves.  :P

:laugh:
I easily believe you!

Chrissi, what are you doing? We still have at least 1 more day until Fall arrives! How dare you!  ;)

What can I say? I'm just ahead of the times!

I guess my favorite thing to do in the Fall is to appreciate the blazing colors of the trees, the scent in the air, the cooling down of the outdoor temperatures and of course Halloween! I love Love LOVE Halloween! It is my favorite time of year, except for Christmas. Christmas is my number one holiday!

Christmas? Now talk about being ahead of times! ;) :laugh:

Thanks for sharing David :-*. I also love the amazing colors nature produces in fall.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 03:09:20 am »
One of my favorite things about fall is that it´s not winter ;)

It´s still pretty warm here and my jacket is still tucked away in the closet.

The fall is pretty, though. I´ll to snap some shots of our trees as they start to change colors.

great thread!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 03:25:03 am »
One of my favorite things about fall is that it´s not winter ;)

It´s still pretty warm here and my jacket is still tucked away in the closet.

The fall is pretty, though. I´ll to snap some shots of our trees as they start to change colors.

great thread!

Thank you :-*.
Yay, I'm looking forward to your pics!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 03:39:26 am »
Three things I like about fall are coming to my mind. One are the many fairs we have in our region. Every weekend there's a fair going on in one of the villages and small towns. We mostly go only to one or two (they're fun, but expensive).

Another favorite thing about fall is "Neuer Wein und Zwiebelkuchen" (=new wine and onion cake) in so-called "Besenwirtschaften" (=broom taverns). This is something which is traditional in the southern wine-growing regions of Germany. A broom tavern is a pub/restaurant/tavern which isn't one for most of the year. Therefore it doesn't need a restaurant-license. Its purpose is to merchandise the products of the wineries directly. Thus a great deal of the offered goods must be self-produced and they are not allowed to offer any alcohol except wine and self-made liquors. No beer!
Usually the wineries just open their yards and barns, put some tables and benches up and that's it. They offer only simple, but solid and traditional food, self-produced wines (and sometimes liquor) and a speciality: new wine and onion cake.

New wine has very little alcohol, it tastes almost like grape juice. You can get it only a few weeks in early fall each year, then you have to wait another year. And onion cake is just what its name says: a non-sweet cake with lots and lots of onions.
Here's a picture of both:

The new wine is cloudy(?) because it's not  filtrated.

Typical broom taverns. The name comes from the broom which hangs outside as a signal that the tavern is open. They are restricted by law to open a maximum of only 40 days a year.

I have sweet memories from last year, when I was at a broom tavern with Leslie and her daughter. We'll have one on you this year, Leslie!

Just for the record: the pictures aren't by me, I've found them on the internet. I'll post some of my own pictures with the next favorite thing of mine in fall.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 06:49:38 am »
New wine.......sounds fine, must try that sometimes.......but the onion pie  :-\ I think I'll skip that. Onions make me....eh.....fart.........."blush"....... :o

I love onions but if I eat too much my family "happily" remind me of the big catastrophe in Bhopal, India and compares with that before they evacuate...... :laugh:

In my part of Sweden the annual hunt for moose has begun. We pick berries in the woods. School has started and we as a family are back in order - the son, age 15, get to bed at night and get up in the morning and not the other way around....... :o. Fall colours ar beatiful. The mosquitos die, HURRA!!! The air seems to be full of oxygen.

Fall is nice  :)
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 09:07:58 am »
I think fall is a particularly beautiful time to travel. Once the equinox is past, and the weather "settles down," the heat (and, in the Northeastern U.S., the humidity) of summer is past, and the damp grayness of winter hasn't yet arrived. I think October is a particularly good month to travel--October is my favorite month, actually--and I will be doing some traveling again in the first half of the month (but not for as long as the Rail Odyssey).  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:26:13 am »
I love Autumn!

the fall colors, the cool, crisp air.....apple and pumkin picking, Halloween and Thanksgiving, which starts the "parade of holidays" as I call it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 07:18:15 pm »
I love to watch the leaves turn colors,  :D  where they do that without just turning brown and falling off the trees.  :P

Nice, pretty round pumpkins are pretty to look at, especially at roadside markets (less so at other more commercialized gathering spots like supermarkets).

Sometimes I even enjoy the exercise of gathering up leaves and shoveling them into recycling bags, but I pay somebody to do that if I'm not going to be home.  Mostly, though, I agree with David:  I don't like having to rake the leaves.

Thanksgiving is my all-time favorite holiday.  Being with friends or family is great, and having a home-cooked turkey is super!  If I'm not with other people, I go to a restaurant and order a turkey dinner the day before, since the restaurants close on Thanksgiving.

Fall is just a nice time for taking a ride in the country, whether there are lots of trees or not.  I like the color of the sunlight in the fall...more golden.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?