Author Topic: My Husband has Cancer  (Read 11361 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: My Husband has Cancer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 01:30:09 pm »
Sue , I am so pleased you have let everyone know. Please let Bob see my mails so he knows how many people are all rooting for him. I am so delighted he is pain free and eating as it puts him i a much better place to fight this as you say insidious diesease. It was why I was so adamant that he had to be made pain free.
I have seen so many people survive way past their original prognosis, so I for one would say just continue to be strong and enjoy each other.
I too think he is lucky to have such a strong woman in his corner. Crying is also good it acts as a pressure relief valve, which is cleansing and also means negative feelings are not self contained where they can erode away positive thoughts. Seems to me you and your family are doing everything right. I told you before I think, get him sat in front of Billy Connolly on you tube, the incontinence pads sketch and suicide bombers are just 2 that spring to mind. I laugh till I cry when I watch them and it releases so many endorphins that can only be a good thing.
Be there for him in the middle of the night if he wakes scared and quite simply, just keep on being you. :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »
Bless you for your endurance, Katie, and please let your husband know that many, many of us have been there with our own illnesses and ailments. I was in constant intractable pain for 5 years, and very nearly went insane from it, so you are very fortunate to have such a good national health there!  I am glad they got his pain controlled so that his quality of life will be as good as possible.  I will definitely send my prayers to you and to him both, and I second Fiona's comments on disregarding the prognosis.

Anthony Burgess, author of "A Clockwork Orange" and the screenwriter for "Jesus of Nazareth" among hundreds of books and several musical compositions,  was diagnosed with incurable and inoperable cancer in 1959.  He decided in the year his doctor gave him to live that he had some stories to write before he passed on.  At the time, he was a civil servant in Malaysia.  He wrote four novels that year - and did not die.  He finally gave up the ghost in 1996 at last, after writing more than 50 novels and screenplays, and became one of the main inspirations for my own career as a novelist.  It is good to be practical and to accept things as they are, but with the understanding that doctors cannot predict these things.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 03:16:52 pm »
Sue.

I'm just so so sorry. I wish I had something profound to say, but I dont at the moment. All my love to you and Bob, and stay strong.

xxx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 09:25:14 pm »

I was so saddened to read your post about Bob's cancer, Sue. I will remember you in my meditation each day from now on. He is surrounded by those who love him and that's so important at such a time as this. A positive outlook and sense of humour is also so important. I know he'll get lots of hugs and kisses from you and that, in my humble opinion, can often do so much more than any analgesia can. Having said that, however, I'm so glad to hear that the patch is working and there are no adverse outcomes from it. I travelled this path with my Mum and Dad, so my heart goes out to you, Bob and your family at this time.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 11:33:00 pm »
Hi Sue,

I don't have much wisdom to add...  I'm tearful at the news, and also awestruck at your wisdom and strength.  It seems that you both have great perspective and are taking nothing for granted.  In terms of love and emotional support, Bob sure seems to have a fortune of that in great store.  I'm sending good thoughts and love to you all.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:01:33 am by LauraGigs »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 12:18:46 am »
I was thrilled to hear of Bob's achievement in standing and walking, and how he has rallied after conquering the pain. These next months or years will be challenging but there will be good moments and days that you both will cherish. Our thoughts will be with you, and thank you for keeping us in your circle of confidants and friends!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 01:32:08 am »
It is hard to find words to describe how much, every word posted here, means to me.

Thank you, everyone for the good wishes, the hugs and all of the positive vibes. You know, thats what I expected from my Brokie friends.....is that the common denominator for all of us that fell in love with Brokeback Mountain?....our will and strength to fight against the odds......and also the ability to care about someone on the other side of the world, confirms, why I became a Brokie and why I will always remain a Brokie.

Again, thank you all so much.xxxxxxx
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:33:51 am »
Oh, yes, we have also shed many tears together, because we think it bloody well sucks that we will  not grow old together. But we are trying not to dwell on that,thinking ourselves as so lucky to have had 40 happy and loving years together. We want to  make the most of what we have left and make sure we remain in good positive mood. We have great  support and Bob will be surrounded by his family constantly, which, as you know, is when he is happiest. 

Sue,
I am not good with words. I second what the other Brokies have said.
I admire you and Bob for your courage and stamina. You are both so lucky to have known what love is, you have been right on the highest peak of Brokeback Mountain, some, like me, have never been, not even close.
Sending lots of positive affirmations.
BbM, I swear

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 08:45:21 am »
I'm so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you both.  :'(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 10:28:43 am »
Oh Sue, I am so sorry. I can feel the pain in your words.

I hope you will have many good days together, he sounds like a wonderful man.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."