Author Topic: Troll Appreciation Thread (I'm not kidding)  (Read 7560 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Troll Appreciation Thread (I'm not kidding)
« on: April 02, 2006, 01:21:35 pm »
We know the havoc wreaked by the trolls, but we have them to thank for a few things:

1. Binding us together as a tightly knit community
3. Reminding all of us what BBM, this community and its members have come to mean to us personally
2. Getting us to work diligently and cooperatively to first combat them, and then look for solutions
3. Motivating us to find a better home for this community

I was content with IMDb's system for a long time, but seeing what Phillip and John have created, it surpasses my hopes in every way.  If the trolls hadn't created so much chaos, we'd still be missing this wonderful site and the chance to get to know Phillip and all the others here. 

I'm delighted every time I see his posts - that he cares so much and is one of us and here with us...that he cares as much as we do about BBM and continuing this conversation, and that he's actually got the resources and motivation to continually respond to members and continually improve this site.

So thanks to the silly trolls who thought that they destroyed something, but instead motivated an even more wonderful creation to emerge.

:angel:
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

TheStudDuck

Re: Troll Appreciation Thread (I'm not kidding)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:29:44 pm »
Hehehe... man, I love it when things like that backfire so badly for them.  ;D

I'd like to send a "thank you" out to them for making me realize how good of a person I am.  There are some days where I feel like maybe I'm not the best person that I can be... that I'm not doing enough good deeds or something like that.  Where I feel like maybe I'm not reaching the my potential for goodness.  But these people make me realize that I'm doing the best that I can and even on those days when I fall short, I'm still not at their level and I'm still a very good person -- and that makes me feel wonderful.

To know that I will never sink to their level... to know that I'm trying my best and even when I don't meet my expectations, I'm still doing well... that is something that I am so grateful for.  So thank you, my dearly departed trolls.  Thank you ever so much.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:32:02 pm »
Celeste,
I'd been thinking the same thing.
And also,
thanks to the trolls for some other benefits....
I learned what the right-click button on a mouse is for, how to save threads, and got to see (still working on reading them all) so many wonderful threads I missed before.
 (and another thanks to them trollies - with this post, I've got up to Jr. Ranch Hand, yee haw)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:33:54 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 04:29:40 pm »
I hadn't quite thought of it that way, and I thank you, Celeste.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 04:58:15 pm »
I'd like to send a "thank you" out to them for making me realize how good of a person I am.  There are some days where I feel like maybe I'm not the best person that I can be... that I'm not doing enough good deeds or something like that.  Where I feel like maybe I'm not reaching the my potential for goodness.  But these people make me realize that I'm doing the best that I can and even on those days when I fall short, I'm still not at their level and I'm still a very good person -- and that makes me feel wonderful.

To know that I will never sink to their level... to know that I'm trying my best and even when I don't meet my expectations, I'm still doing well... that is something that I am so grateful for.  So thank you, my dearly departed trolls.  Thank you ever so much.

David, that is hilarious, and painfully true.  I worry a great deal about being a good person (Atheist's Guilt), and it wrenches my heart to think of all the people I should have been kinder to.  But witnessing the troll attacks made me feel quite cheerful about my own inadequacies.  I'm not perfect, but at least I don't go out of my way to be cruel to other human beings.

Also, and I'm a little bit reluctant to admit this, given the strength of anger against the trolls, but I really do feel genuine pity for them.  They must be desperately unhappy people.  We may have to live with their sustained attacks, but at least we have a warm and genial community to support us here, and people who love us in the real world.  Foxinator and his ilk must be deeply envious of that, though they would never confess to it.  They may band together for raiding parties, but I don't think they're terribly nourishing relationships.

I just can't imagine having to live with that kind of gnawing anger at the world.  Really, I feel dreadfully sorry for them. 

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 05:11:03 pm »
Yep, those damned trolls are useful alright, just like maggots. They're cleaning the OB of old posts and, as much as my heart bled to see so many great posts disappear, at least now the newbies can vent, gush and dissect the film anew, and not be shut up because it's all been said before. Thanks to those trolls (ih! I never thought I'd say that...), the board is staying alive and ready for the new generation of DVD viewers. We should post our old thoughts again in the threads opened by newcomers, or open the old threads again for new comments, don't you think? Although I know there's a big chance new threads would be destroyed too, but, what the heck...
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 05:27:42 pm »
Will they ever get tired of spending their days reporting posts?

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 05:45:34 pm »
All of your posts regarding those awful trolls are very true.

Back on IMdB, I posted "What I've learned here at CT", which I think has been deleted, but I saved it, and 2 of my points relate directly to the trolls and how they have taught me some things:

1 - That when/if I ever have kids, I must be sure to pay a lot of attention to them and make sure they're loved so that they won't resort to trolling to fill some emotional void.
2 - How to handle frustrating & tough situations calmy.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 05:49:26 pm »
When God closes a door, he opens a window. (Like Ennis in Jack's childhood room.)

Every cloud has a silver lining. (Like the ones that brought hail, and made them have to go back in that tent together.)

I want to write "Ode to the Troll," but don't have time.  Gots to jump in the shower and head to the movie!

vkm91941

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 06:44:49 pm »
Everyone's words are so true.  Trollz are usually hit and run artists, they incite and then sit back and enjoy the havoc they create.  One of the reasons they have banded together and sustained their attacks on the  PT and BBM boards is because we are a community and we stood firm against them.  We did not provide them with the attention and entertainment they are so DESPERATE for.  We did not scream and wail and gnash our teeth for their satisfaction.  Instead once the initial panic subsided we came together in fellowship and fought back!

They only made us stronger and that infuriates them.  God Bless their little fugly hearts.  :angel: 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 12:14:25 am by vkm91941 »