Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183696 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Four Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 04:39:29 pm »
that made me cry. what a wonderful review. The reviewer really caught the essence of the movie.

"One tender moment's reprieve from loneliness can illuminate a life."

"THE lonesome chill that seeps through Ang Lee's epic western"
that´s exactly what makes me cry so often. That lonesome chill throughout the movie.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 09:12:01 pm »

I had been reading everything I could about the movie on line (on the IMDB board especially), and I was counting down the days until the (very) limited December release. As per usual, I was working crazily on a major project, and I had been working past midnight every night, so I figured it would be easy to go to the theater Thursday night (December 08) to see the Midnight showing on the Upper West Side. It was--

Well, you know.

Anyway, the first thing I did the next morning (before going back to my project) was read the following review.

And I said--Yes. That's it.

It still is one of the best reviews I've ever read.

Thank you for re-posting this, John.  I remember how excited we were by this review, especially

Both Mr. Ledger and Mr. Gyllenhaal make this anguished love story physically palpable. Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn. The pain and disappointment felt by Jack, who is softer, more self-aware and self-accepting, continually registers in Mr. Gyllenhaal's sad, expectant silver-dollar eyes.

In the few minutes it's taken me to re-read the review, and post, I've gone through remembered elation, and now to a renewed bummed-out-ed-ness at Heath's stupid death. 

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 07:17:45 am »
Saw BbM for the first time in August 2006, rented the DvD. All I knew was that is was about a love story between two men. The impact it had on me was something I had never experienced before. With BbM it was love at first sight, which was so unlike me, it pull down all my protection barriers, it allowed all sorts of emotions flowing in and out. It was a struggle to keep how I felt inside, then one day I found IMDb and here I am.

I Still, I did not read the SS. finally in september 05 it debuted at the Venice Film Festival and I started assiduously checking IMDB for comments and reviews. Then the Toronto film festival happened and around that time I read the SS, repeatedly. .

Is 5th September really BbM's debut day? I just wanted to make sure as if it were it would make BbM even more special to me. I googled it, but so far I haven't  found anything with the actual debut date.
BbM, I swear

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:08 am »
Is 5th September really BbM's debut day? I just wanted to make sure as if it were it would make BbM even more special to me. I googled it, but so far I haven't  found anything with the actual debut date.

IMDb says it opened in Venice on 2 September. 

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 11:03:41 am »
Today is my fourth effin' anniversary.  Among other things, I'll have dinner with a friend I haven't seen in many years.  However, there won't be any kissing!

I'll be thinking of a wonderful day at Elbow Falls in Alberta, visiting the site of the "sweet life" rocks, with Monika, Sonja and Henry.  Cheers, Brokies!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:05 am »
Happy Anniversary, bro-mod!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 11:12:31 am »
Happy anniversary!

I never read that Holden review before! It's terrific!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 06:50:22 pm »

I'll be thinking of a wonderful day at Elbow Falls in Alberta, visiting the site of the "sweet life" rocks, with Monika, Sonja and Henry.  Cheers, Brokies!

:)  :-*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 06:51:43 pm »
And Happy Anniversary Paul!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 07:05:27 pm »