Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183739 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: On this day in history - Brokies were "born"!
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2011, 02:35:06 pm »
I haven't watched the trailer in a long time. Just did, and it gave me goosebumps.

The power of Brokeback is beyond comprehension.

At this time 6 years ago I knew nothing about Brokeback. It wasn't until several months later (don't know exactly when) I read the review of it in my Swedish newspaper. But I never got around to actually see it at that point, it wasn't until over a year later I saw it for the first time. The rest is, as they say, history.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2011, 03:36:37 pm »
I have wondered sometimes the connection betwixt Jake Gyllenhaal being of Sweedish descent and the popularity of the movie amongst Sweeds.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2011, 03:53:31 pm »
I'm not sure there is a connection, Truman.

I for one knew nothing about Jake or Heath when I saw the movie the first time. It was the movie itself that hit me, not the origin of the actors.

Of all the people I've talked to about Brokeback here, most of them said they liked it, but not even one of them mentioned anything about Jake being of Swedish origin.

I'm not sure the general public knows that.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2011, 03:20:56 am »
On this day six years ago, I had no idea what was about to come into my life. The movie came out mid-march 2006 in Germany (that's right, after the Oscars). First time I ever heard of it must have been around late Feb/beginning of March. I know I thought 'might be interesting'.

What made me actually go to the theater was a report from my favorite arts/cultural TV program about BBM and about the reactions of people in rural Western communities of the US. Two facts stood out to me: BBM was described as moving, but without being overly sentimental/sappy. Now that's something rare in Hollywood (Titanic, anyone?). Second was the fact that it ruffled so many feathers in the US (an effect that was totally lost in Europe, no feathers ruffled, which is a good thing in my book, but hence BBM got less attention over here).

I remember I felt like a late-comer when I joined the IMDB boards. Now this thought is funny, almost six years later. :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2011, 03:43:55 pm »
I had no idea.......

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xuugq7fito[/youtube]

Love it.  And that music!  8)  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2011, 04:38:00 pm »
Yeah, I love that music too. Gives me goosebumps.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Four (now Six) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2011, 06:12:56 pm »

I went to my first viewing of Brokeback, on January 5th, of 2006.  It will be six years next month.  My grandaughter and I had agreed to wait until after the holidays to go and see it.  She was in her first year of College at the time, and that was the most opportune time for us to go together.  We went to see it on Jan 5th.  We chose that one because as you may remember?  His other movie Casanova was out at the same time more or less.  I told her that it would be better to see this one first, because the other one would be more uplifting, afterwards.  If we went to see the other one first then we would be in a grave funk for a long time afterward.. She agreed with the decision.  She was fine afterward, but I never recovered.  I cried for weeks on end.  My family thought that I was losing my mind.  I was totally obsessed.  I think that it was the both the worst time of my life, and the best.  I will never forget this awe inspiring movie.  I was totally into the movie.  I listened to the cd over and over.  After taking two weeks to find it.  I watched the movie over one hundred times after the release of the video.  I knew it pretty much by heart.   It will forever be a life altering moment in time for me.

Beautiful mind

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2011, 07:07:32 pm »
It just occurred to me that this year the days of the week are the same date as in 2005, so Saturday, the 10th of December, will be exactly 6 years since I first saw the movie.  I went with 3 friends to an early show, and we sat for 5 hours afterward drinkin' and talkin' and all.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »
With Chuckie's kind permission, I have merged the two anniversary threads. 

Tell us about your first experience!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:43 am »

It just occurred to me that this year the days of the week are the same date as in 2005, so Saturday, the 10th of December, will be exactly 6 years since I first saw the movie.  I went with 3 friends to an early show, and we sat for 5 hours afterward drinkin' and talkin' and all.  8)

Yup! I've been thinking about that all this week, Meryl--

And, at 11:57pm, I know exactly  where I was six years ago....

:)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"