Author Topic: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today  (Read 31757 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« on: September 04, 2006, 01:59:25 am »
Not sure even how many people knew of Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter)... rumour has it that he was rather popular in the US - don't know about our European brokies.

Unfortunately, he was killed earlier today filming a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef. He copped a sting-ray barb to the chest and died before paramedics arrived.

Personally, I was a great supporter of Steve. My son and I met him at the Australia Zoo (couple of hours north of Brisbane, where I live) and yes, he is EXACTLY the same is person as you've seen on TV. The man had a zest and passion for life that I don't think I've ever seen before. He had a gift for working with animals and using his very down-to-earth personality to charm the pants off the people he met.  I am really saddened by his death. The world has lost an amazing person.

Full story here:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/steve-irwin-killed-by-stingray/2006/09/04/1157222051512.html

Steve, with wife, Terri and a croc.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 06:31:37 am by hungry_hungryhippos »
Chut up!

injest

Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Killed Today
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 02:08:14 am »
I saw this on another thread and checked the CNN website...so sad..he was still very young..

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 02:11:29 am »
I agree Sheyne, people either loved or hated his over-the-top exuberance.  I was in the latter until I saw an interview with him and his love of life and for his family in particular was overwhelming and endearing, even if he was sometimes seemed more in the "fools-rush-in" category.  I'm also shocked and saddened by the loss of this amazing and passionate man.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:38:21 am »
Oh God No!!! This can't be true!! I loved Steve Irwin!!!

I am so sorry for Steve's family, friends and for the people of Australia. He was an icon!

:'( :'( :'( I am so sorry and sad to hear this news!!  :'( :'( :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 02:57:10 am »
Oh God No!!! This can't be true!! I loved Steve Irwin!!!

I am so sorry for Steve's family, friends and for the people of Australia. He was an icon!

:'( :'( :'( I am so sorry and sad to hear this news!!  :'( :'( :'(

There are a lot of people who feel his loss today..  :'(

"Flabbergasted" is the word I would use to describe my reaction to the news. It just didn't seem possible. Steve's just one of those people you kinda figured would be around forever. He did so much for promoting Australia and tourism here. He was a wonderful ambassador for our country and he will be mourned by many for a long time. I just hope his kids grow up knowing what an incredible man their dad was.

Still can't believe it, really.  :'(
Chut up!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 03:11:29 am »
There are a lot of people who feel his loss today..  :'(

"Flabbergasted" is the word I would use to describe my reaction to the news. It just didn't seem possible. Steve's just one of those people you kinda figured would be around forever. He did so much for promoting Australia and tourism here. He was a wonderful ambassador for our country and he will be mourned by many for a long time. I just hope his kids grow up knowing what an incredible man their dad was.

Still can't believe it, really.  :'(

I'd imagine Animal Planet here in the U.S. will be airing alot of information about Steve, his work and his life during the next few weeks. His shows air on Animal Planet all the time. I am really going to miss him. And I agree with  you. I also hope his kids grow up knowing what a wonderful man he was.

I just can't believe this!  :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 07:22:55 am »
Yes we are all in dis-belief at the moment.....Australia and the world have lost a good bloke....

At aged 44, he had done so much but there is no doubt, he still had much more to do......damn too young and with a lovely family who will never be able to replace him.

How I wish we could turn back the clock to just last night, so Steve could start tomorrow differently than he did today....

Rest in peace, Steve Irwin.......you will be missed
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 07:43:03 am »
My boyfriend called from downstairs this morning Guess who died? It was on national news in Holland this morning and I heard that his wife doesn't even know yet, because she is somewhere where she can't be reached! I couldn't believe it and I am very sad about it. What a way to go, though... :'(

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 08:22:25 am »

I've just finished watching a repeat of an interview Steve gave on a TV program here a few years ago.  My mum and I were hysterically laughing in parts cause the guy was so funny and straight to the point (fumbling over describing the size of his then-very pregnant wife.. eventually settling for "she's bloody big") and then in other parts we just broke down crying. Hearing him talk with such passion about preserving wild life and pouring millions of his dollars into purchasing land so that crocs and snakes would have somewhere to live...

This is such a sad day. The world truly has lost one of its great men. 
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:45 am »
This is such a sad day. The world truly has lost one of its great men. 

I agree.  I'm just gobsmacked about this.  Will is a major "Wiggles" fan, and "Wiggly Safari" with Steve Irwin is his favorite of many, many of their videos.  Like Chris, I didn't fully appreciate him until I watched this one for the first time with Will.  His wife and daughter are in it, and his passion and love for them is palpable.  When you see that this is truly what he was like in every aspect of his life, you can't help but like him.

The world was definitely more interesting (and beautiful and bursting with life) with him in it.

:'(
No more beans!