Author Topic: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)  (Read 129322 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"A Single Man" (beware spoilers)
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:21:43 pm »
I just saw an astonishing film:  "A Single Man", directed by Tom Ford (yes, of Gucci fame) and starring Colin Firth and Julianne Moore.  It's based on Christopher Isherwood's novel, about one day in the life of a bereaved man in 1962.

I can't say enough about Colin Firth's performance.  I couldn't take my eyes off him; he expresses so much with his face.  It's 1962, he's lost his partner (Matthew Goode), and can hardly tell a soul.  Partly because of the time, and partly because he's a Brit who's perfectly mannered and creased.  

The production is almost unbearably beautiful, with music to match.  No doubt it will be criticized for being "too perfect", too much like a fashion magazine spread, but I didn't find it distracting.  Rather, it added to the loss and longing.  Even the saturation of color changed, depending on the protagonist's mood.  

Important bits of youth and beauty intrude on his sadness, especially a student played by Nicholas Hoult, whose almost-directness is alarming.  

I'm sure I'll be thinking of this film for some time to come.  In fact, I think I'll see it again.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:43:04 pm by southendmd »

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: "A Single Man"
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:30:10 pm »
This sounds like something that I'd like to see. Always nice to see Colin Firth, if nothing else. Thanks for the recommendation, Paul.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:07:58 pm »
Lucky you Paul, I'll have to wait untill March 3rd till this movie is released over here.  :-\

I've read some very very good reviews and now, with your recommendation, I'm really looking forward to this movie. And Colin Firth is such a good actor (although not every movie he was in took advantage of his huge talent), I've been very impressed with him ever since I saw A Month In The Country, way back in '87.

Thanks for posting those pictures Paul. Wow again!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:18:29 pm »
Cheers, Monika and Fabienne!  It'll be worth the wait.

Meanwhile, I bought the novel today.  Most of the regular bookstores didn't have any  Isherwood.  So, I went to the LGBT bookstore called Calamus (a Walt Whitman reference) and they had a stack of the new edition of the novel.  Instead, I found an anthology from the 80s, edited by his partner Don Bachardy, and with a foreward by Gore Vidal (to whom A Single Man is dedicated).  

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »
Thanks for the review, Paul.  I hadn't heard anything about the film except that Colin Firth was in it.  I really want to see it now.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 05:05:34 pm »
I just came back from the cinema. I saw "A serious man" with a friend.

The trailer they showed previous to the film was " A single man"!  (lots of men around these days LOL!)

It opens mid February here. We were both intrigued by the trailer, and decided to see it.

Thanks for the review Paul. It confirms the impression we got from the trailer.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »
Didn't you also tell us about Chris and Don, the film about the couple? I saw that this summer and enjoyed it very much! A Single Man will go to the top of my must-see list!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 09:20:20 pm »

Instead, I found an anthology from the 80s, edited by [Isherwood's] partner Don Bachardy, and with a foreward by Gore Vidal (to whom A Single Man is dedicated).  

Didn't you also tell us about Chris and Don, the film about the couple? I saw that this summer and enjoyed it very much! A Single Man will go to the top of my must-see list!

Don Bachardy is listed in the end credits of A Single Man  as "Consultant."

I should think so!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 09:57:05 pm »

Yes, Tru and I saw that at the Ptown film festival in June 2008, and it was the highlight (along with "Were the World Mine").

Don Bachardy is listed in the end credits of A Single Man  as "Consultant."

I should think so!

Not only that, he has a cameo!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »

Not only that, he has a cameo!

That's it, I'm going tomorrow!

(Paul, when is Don's cameo? I'm slow on the uptake, and I don't want to miss it!)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"