Author Topic: Vancouver Winter Olympics - News and Views  (Read 112199 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Vancouver Winter Olympics - News and Views
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2010, 11:37:01 am »
And it was in French and English. (according to Allen Barra)

Only an American (or a no-clue Canadian) would suggest that this was in French & English. Had there been as much French as English and as little English as French, would the statement still be valid?

I rest my case.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2010, 11:53:49 am »

ETA:  Giant beavers and Michael Buble?  Save us!  :o

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/03/01/sports/olympics/0228-CLOSING_index.html

Vancouver Brings Down Curtain on Winter Games

The "Maple Leaf Forever," performed by Michael Bublé once competed with "O Canada" to replace "God
Save The Queen" as the Canadian national anthem.

Giant cutouts of Mounties, tabletop hockey players and maple leaves made an appearance toward the end
of the ceremony. The hockey players were wearing gold medals.

Vancouver youths helped kick off the closing ceremony on as they performed with snowboards around the
Olympic caldron.

The Canadian born singer and songwriter Neil Young performed "Long May You Run."

The actor Michael J. Fox was part of the "I am Canadian" segment with William Shatner and Catherine O'Hara.

Russian ballet dancers performing.

In a news conference Saturday, the president of Sochi 2014, Dmitry Chernyshenko, unveiled shiny globes
called zorbs and announced that they represent the transparency of the new Russia, the interconnectedness
of sports fans everywhere and the dot in the Sochi.ru logo.

ALSO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/sports/olympics/01ceremony.html?hp

Olympic Flame Burns Brighter on Last Day of the Games

Vancouver youth danced around the Olympic caldron at B.C. Place Stadium on Sunday night.
By JULIET MACUR
Published: February 28, 2010
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
Ack!  Maybe they figured they could never compete with Beijing, so they went in the opposite direction?  :P  :-\
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:47 pm »
Ack!  Maybe they figured they could never compete with Beijing, so they went in the opposite direction?  :P  :-\

Before the opening show I heard some official say something quite similar to that, except that the intent was to go in another direction, rather than the opposite direction.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2010, 03:52:31 pm »
I was wondering if you were watching the Games.  I've been cheering for Norway all week!  They did a really great job, didn't they?  And yours was the last anthem played at the closing ceremonies because Petter Northug nipped over the line a few hundredths of a second before the German skier to win gold. 8)

Great to hear you've been cheering for us. I bet that made all the difference!  :-*

Yes, I wouldn't be Norwegian if I wasn't watching. We're totally, utterly nuts about the winter olympics. (Especially the skiing, which has the longest traditions.) Petter Northug is a bit of a conceited and spoiled brat, but he's gonna be hailed like a minor god nevertheless when he returns here. For all his medals, but especially those last 100 meters of the 50-kilometer.

And the Swedish ladies here will have to forgive me when I tell the truth; that the major thing for Norway is always to beat Sweden, so in that respect the games were especially successful this year....  :P

But as for the Nations overview that John posted, I'm a little bit peeved at whoever wrote it. They say;

Notable Olympians: Petter Northug, Jr., Cross-Country (Gold; Silver; Bronze); Oeystein Pettersen, Cross-Country (Gold)

...and I would draw their attention to the most notable Norwegian Olympian of them all; the positive, spirited, wonderful and enthusiastic skier Marit Bjørgen. This link shows a picture of her with the medals she won in Vancouver: 3 gold (2 of them individuals), one silver, one bronze. She beats all the Norwegian boys and she doesn't get a mention!  (The pic is too big or I would have posted it).

Go Marit!!!

http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/02/28/sport/ol_i_vancouver/ol_2010/10633569/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2010, 05:59:35 pm »
I turned on the closing ceremonies to watch Neil Young perform, and it was exactly perfect, the song, the acoustic guitar and even his black outfit which seemed to pay homage to Johnny Cash. But after that, the mounties, chorus girls, cardboard cutouts, giant inflatable beavers, giant inflatable moose, and giant inflatable William Shatner just left me speechless!! And people who know me know that doesn't happen too often!! I was relieved when Michael J. Fox entered the screen, although he looked a little traumatized too!! It seemed kind of like a bad dream or a Coen Brothers movie...hey, are they Canadian, by chance?? I know James Cameron is, and I wonder why they didn't have some giant inflatable Na'vi as well!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2010, 06:22:26 pm »
And I most comment on the Norway, Swedish thing. We were so happy that we beat Norway on mens relay race and won the goldmedal. And got the chance to beat Peter Nortug, is something we have been looking forward to do in a long time. So I think it has become a Swedish major thing as well, to try to beat Norway.

Because every winther olympics its always someone who says I wish Norway still were a part of Sweden, then we would have so many gold medals!!

Great to hear you've been cheering for us. I bet that made all the difference!  :-*

Yes, I wouldn't be Norwegian if I wasn't watching. We're totally, utterly nuts about the winter olympics. (Especially the skiing, which has the longest traditions.) Petter Northug is a bit of a conceited and spoiled brat, but he's gonna be hailed like a minor god nevertheless when he returns here. For all his medals, but especially those last 100 meters of the 50-kilometer.

And the Swedish ladies here will have to forgive me when I tell the truth; that the major thing for Norway is always to beat Sweden, so in that respect the games were especially successful this year....  :P

But as for the Nations overview that John posted, I'm a little bit peeved at whoever wrote it. They say;

...and I would draw their attention to the most notable Norwegian Olympian of them all; the positive, spirited, wonderful and enthusiastic skier Marit Bjørgen. This link shows a picture of her with the medals she won in Vancouver: 3 gold (2 of them individuals), one silver, one bronze. She beats all the Norwegian boys and she doesn't get a mention!  (The pic is too big or I would have posted it).

Go Marit!!!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2010, 06:25:18 pm »

But as for the Nations overview that John posted, I'm a little bit peeved at whoever wrote it. They say:

Notable Olympians: Petter Northug, Jr., Cross-Country (Gold; Silver; Bronze); Oeystein Pettersen, Cross-Country (Gold)

...and I would draw their attention to the most notable Norwegian Olympian of them all; the positive, spirited, wonderful and enthusiastic skier Marit Bjørgen. This link shows a picture of her with the medals she won in Vancouver: 3 gold (2 of them individuals), one silver, one bronze. She beats all the Norwegian boys and she doesn't get a mention!  (The pic is too big or I would have posted it).

Go Marit!!!

Sorry, Mikaela! Somebody (bodies) named "Clark Merrefield and Tali Yahalom researched and reported this ranking" at The Daily Beast. Beat them with blunt sticks! Hah--that should do it! (But maybe we should relent--they DID say: "Nineteen (now 23?) medals for a country with only slightly more people than the city of Los Angeles. Norway's performance—for all its wealthy and winter-friendly advantages—is staggering—" Ok, they did  also mention in passing that they thought the Norwegian athletes were not as chic as they might have been, so beat them, but, as they are slightly stupid, gently.)

I ALSO say that your pic of Marit isn't too big at all, and it is absolutely fabulous, CHIC even (something about the layering  of the MULTIPLES of those ripply, Corrine Hunt-designed, Orca embellished, goldy, bronzy, silvery medals makes the outfit shine, don't you think?), so--

Go Mikaela! Go Marit!!!

DRAR HJEM MED FEM MEDALJER: Marit Bjørgen har all grunn til å være stolt av sin egen medaljefangst i OL, med tre gull (stafett, skiathlon, sprint), sølv på
30 km og bronse på 10 km. Men kanskje kunne gårsdagens sølv vært byttet ut med enda et gull om hun hadde fulgt taktikken langrennsledelsen la opp til.
Foto: Heiko Junge / Scanpix

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2010, 12:13:54 am »

ETA:  Giant beavers and Michael Buble?  Save us!  :o

Got it! I got one of the giant inflatable beavers (cheerful yet apparently enchained )!   :D

Anybody find the inflatable moose?? Let us know!

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2010, 12:51:42 am »
That has to be the tackiest Olympic closing ceremony I can ever remember seeing.  It would be like the USA having giant Uncle Sams and Statues of Liberty herded on by Minutemen eating apple pie or something.  What were they smoking thinking?  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...