Author Topic: A New Life of E. M. Forster ("Maurice" "A Room With A View") by Wendy Moffat  (Read 9475 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

READ THIS NOW DEP'T:

"--she calls 'the mystery of [Forster]’s strange broken-backed career.'”

"Ms. Moffat, a vigorous storyteller, begins “A Great Unrecorded History” at a moment of high drama: when the 'Maurice' manuscript arrived at the home of Christopher Isherwood in Santa Monica five months after Forster’s death. Isherwood had long known of the book and of Forster’s reluctance to let it see the light of day. Part of that reluctance was rooted in good reason: the Stonewall riots in New York were recent, and lingering Comstock laws made it potentially illegal to send a manuscript about homosexuality via the United States Postal Service."

"The thing about which his mother was most obtuse was Forster’s sexual orientation. “I wish he were more manly and did not cry so easily,” she once said of her only son. For his part, Forster, when told that he ought to follow André Gide’s example and publish openly gay writing, replied: 'But Gide hasn’t got a mother!'”

In “A Great Unrecorded History,” [Moffat] offers an insightful, revelatory portrait of a man who deeply resented having to hide such an important side of himself but who deemed “Maurice” to be “unpublishable until my death and England’s.”

And he spoke his mind ever more clearly. At 84, he looked back angrily on a lifetime spent in hiding. “How annoyed I am with Society for wasting my time by making homosexuality criminal,” he complained. “The subterfuges, the self-consciousness that might have been avoided.” Ms. Moffat casts more light on those subterfuges than has any Forster biographer before her.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/books/18book.html?hpw

Wendy Moffat

A GREAT UNRECORDED HISTORY
A New Life of E. M. Forster
By Wendy Moffat
Illustrated. Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
404 pages. $32.50.

Books of The Times
Looking at a
Novelist’s Career
While Keeping a Close Eye
on His Sexuality

The novelist E. M. Forster, in a photograph taken in 1949.

By JANET MASLIN
Published: May 17, 2010

At the age of 4, Edward Morgan Forster learned etiquette from a book that was aptly entitled “Don’t!” He grew up to become a figure of such excessive caution that, when asked if it was raining, he once walked slowly toward a window and answered, “I will try to decide.”

In 1911, when Forster was 32 and had lived barely a third of his life (he died in 1970, at 91), he was already experiencing “weariness of the only subject that I both can and may treat — the love of men for women & vice versa.” Forster had already completed his greatest novels, “A Room With a View” (1908) and “Howards End” (1910), and would publish only one more during his lifetime. After 1924, when “A Passage to India” appeared, Forster seemingly abandoned the novel altogether.

Forster’s biographers have always had to make sense of their subject’s decision to withhold “Maurice,” his novel about homosexual lovers, for posthumous publication. (It appeared in 1971.) But none of those biographers have had either the will or the wherewithal to concentrate as closely on Forster’s sexuality as Wendy Moffat, an impressive first-time biographer who teaches at Dickinson College. In “A Great Unrecorded History,” she offers an insightful, revelatory portrait of a man who deeply resented having to hide such an important side of himself but who deemed “Maurice” to be “unpublishable until my death and England’s.”

Ms. Moffat, who refers to Forster as Morgan the way his friends did, casts intensive new light on what she calls “the mystery of Morgan’s strange broken-backed career.” She does so by drawing on Forster’s idiosyncratic diaries and letters, some of which remained unpublished until 2008, and by piecing together letters and biographies that reflect the wide range of Forster’s acquaintances. She is able to place him within a few degrees of separation from figures as diverse as T. E. Lawrence, D. H. Lawrence, Constantine Cavafy, Pete Townshend, Robert Mapplethorpe, Lincoln Kirstein and Gypsy Rose Lee. It was in the files of Alfred Kinsey, the sex researcher, that the odd and unguarded George Platt Lynes cover photograph of Forster was found.

Ms. Moffat, a vigorous storyteller, begins “A Great Unrecorded History” at a moment of high drama: when the “Maurice” manuscript arrived at the home of Christopher Isherwood in Santa Monica five months after Forster’s death. Isherwood had long known of the book and of Forster’s reluctance to let it see the light of day. Part of that reluctance was rooted in good reason: the Stonewall riots in New York were recent, and lingering Comstock laws made it potentially illegal to send a manuscript about homosexuality via the United States Postal Service.

As Isherwood showed “Maurice” to John Lehmann, the poet and publisher, Ms. Moffat writes, “the Bride of Frankenstein appeared.” Elsa Lanchester, who played Frankenstein’s bride on-screen, happened to live next door, and she had an “unnerving habit of appearing uninvited through hedges.” She may have had nothing to do with Forster, but tangential figures are never unwelcome in this colorful book.

After that prologue, Ms. Moffat goes back to Forster’s fraught childhood and his uncomfortable relationship with his mother. “Lily came by her obtuse optimism honestly, and it later served her well,” Ms. Moffat writes about Lily Forster, in a deftly understated tone that, to Forster’s devoted readers, will sound apt and familiar. The thing about which his mother was most obtuse was Forster’s sexual orientation. “I wish he were more manly and did not cry so easily,” she once said of her only son. For his part, Forster, when told that he ought to follow André Gide’s example and publish openly gay writing, replied: “But Gide hasn’t got a mother!”

By the time he attended King’s College, Cambridge, and made his first contacts with what would become the Bloomsbury group, Forster was well aware of his own preferences. But he was incapable of physical involvement; his affection for one friend of that era would be expressed through “long, earnest, fully clothed embraces, chaste kisses and florid talk of the Hellenistic ideal of friendship.” As that quote may indicate, “A Great Unrecorded History” sometimes veers close to violating the privacy that Forster guarded fiercely, though he made diary entries about his sexual experiences. This is no work of literary criticism, but neither is it one of gratuitous voyeurism.

Ms. Moffat’s overarching interests are in tracing Forster’s attitudes about sex and hypocrisy and in placing this increasingly outspoken figure within the context of his changing times. Like characters about whom he would write so superbly, he experienced an Englishman’s sensual delight in the discovery of Italian culture. But he traveled to Italy with his mother and did not experience real freedom until World War I, when he went to Alexandria, Egypt, with the Red Cross. It was in Alexandria that Forster achieved the physical breakthrough that he called “parting with Respectability” at the ripe old age of 37.

After that, he fell deeply in love with a young train conductor, experienced the breadth of gay life outside England’s confines and became capable of the observation from which the book takes its name. “I see beyond my own happiness and intimacy,” he wrote, “occasional glimpses of the happiness of 1000s of others whose names I shall never hear, and I know that there is a great unrecorded history.”

The older Forster, who wrote essays and assorted nonfiction and assumed the persona of a curmudgeonly literary eminence, became increasingly daring and sociable. His peculiar relationship with the younger, admiring T. E. Lawrence (Forster was en route to visit Lawrence on the day that Lawrence was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident) became the model for some of Forster’s subsequent friendships, many of which managed both to warm his heart and to try his patience. His longtime intimacy with Bob Buckingham, a married policeman, gave him the domesticity he had yearned for as he wrote “Maurice.”

And he spoke his mind ever more clearly. At 84, he looked back angrily on a lifetime spent in hiding. “How annoyed I am with Society for wasting my time by making homosexuality criminal,” he complained. “The subterfuges, the self-consciousness that might have been avoided.” Ms. Moffat casts more light on those subterfuges than has any Forster biographer before her.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Maurice was one of the most beautiful, affecting, and romantic books and film, I have ever read and seen.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
A conversation with James Ivory about the re-release of Maurice, in Parade Magazine, of all places!
https://parade.com/573498/samuelmurrian/director-james-ivory-on-maurice-for-a-new-generation-and-call-me-by-your-name/

"chewing gum and duct tape"