Author Topic: Rebekah Jordan is running in the 2007 LA AIDS Marathon  (Read 11379 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Rebekah is within $100 of Meeting her Goal!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 04:56:55 pm »
An excerpt from an email I received from Rebekah!  "Woohoo!", indeed!

"Saturday we did 17 miles. I can't believe I did it. I am going to write a new blog later today and post to your message board hopefully as well (finally!) It's getting hard making the time to train properly and doing that balancing act that is life. So I'm really glad I haven't gotten injured. But there just aren't enough hours in the day anymore!

You'll be glad to know I'm only $100 away from the fundraising goal/minimum.  Woohoo!"

For people living in the LA area, her band is playing their final show of the year on Thursday, December 7 (flyer attached).

Thanks for your support,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Another update from Rebekah!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 02:30:05 pm »
(Another update from Rebekah - bold and font color are mine :) )  I am SO proud of her!

Hi Friends and Sponsors! Here's my every so often marathon training update. This past Saturday we did...drum roll please....17 Miles!..in a row!...non-stop! Stop the presses, call CNN! Isn't this more newsworthy than Lindsay Lohan going to AA Meetings? (Yes that made the papers...which certainly takes the "anonymous" out of Alcoholics Anonymous, but I digress) Okay, back to the accomplishment at hand...

17 Miles...can you believe it?? I can't believe it either. In fact, shortly thereafter, I think I went into some sort of weird shock. I was fine at first. I hung out with some of the other runners at our little meeting site, eating peanut butter and jelly squares and basking in our after run glory. I was totally (and surprisingly) fine. And then I got in my car. Suddenly, I was completely delusional driving home. My apologies to anyone else on the road that day, yes that was me you were honking at. And once I got home, I had the worst pain in my hip, I seriously felt a newfound appreciation for my grandmother. I would have given anything for a walker. Walking, sitting, breathing... it was all painful. I got chills and then I felt hot and feverish. I was light-headed and had a headache. And then for some unknown reason I cried for about 5 minutes. Eventually I fell asleep. And what a sleep it was.

Now all my pain has been replaced with what can only be described as an extended euphoric runner's high not only because I accomplished 17 miles, which is about 15 miles more than I would have ever imagined doing (and now only 9.2 miles less than the actual Marathon of 26.2!) but also because...another drum roll maestro...I'm only $100 shy of the fundraising goal!!!

That's right! Thanks to all your generosity, I have raised almost $1400 to help people living with AIDS!! Woohoo! **do happy dance,  insert big band, ed mcmahon with confetti here**

Your donations and encouraging messages really helped me through the run on Saturday. In fact, I am convinced it was your support that kept me going at miles 13, 14, and 15. My body was trying to pull a mutiny. But my heart thought of all of you, and of all the people we are potentially helping...men, women and children, many of whom have  no one to turn to. And I kept on. And I did not quit. So now here we are, the marathon is 3 months, 9.2 miles, and $100 in donations away.

I'm ready if you are. I can and will finish, with your help. Shall we?

http://aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=LA-2411&EventCode=LA07

HERE TO GET ME TO THE FINISH LINE!

Guess who's coming to dinner in 2 weeks? 20 Miles!! I'll write more then.

Oh and for those of you in L.A., come say hi and share a song this Thursday night, December 7th. Its our final show of the year at  Genghis Cohen at 8pm (genghiscohen.com)

Love, love, love,
Rebekah

myspace.com/rebekahjordan
myspace.com/dreamingferns
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Rebekah Jordan is running in the 2007 LA AIDS Marathon
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 02:41:25 pm »
Wow Lynne - Thanks so much for all these updates!
I haven't been to Rebekah's blog in a while .. I got some catching up to do.
Thanks for the updates ..

I have this idea of throwing little parties at my place every so often, invite some friends and raise some money to donate for this cause.  I am going to do that for my birthday next year, instead of gifts for me, they can bring a little donation.  I hope I can have the first of these in January .. I am looking forward to it.   :)

You are right . any little bit helps!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 03:12:22 pm »
I have this idea of throwing little parties at my place every so often, invite some friends and raise some money to donate for this cause.  I am going to do that for my birthday next year, instead of gifts for me, they can bring a little donation.  I hope I can have the first of these in January .. I am looking forward to it.   :)

You are right . any little bit helps!

Milli,

You are most welcome!  I think that's a terrific idea!  You're really onto something there.  I'm not a fan of XMess (adrian.delmar's word) for a long list of reasons, so I usually try to do something helpful during the season.  But there's typically a dearth of volunteers, etc...the rest of the calendar year.  So here's to me finding a way to make myself useful in April this year also!

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
Re: A Plan to Get My Lazy Movie-Watchin' Butt Out from in front of my Desk!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 03:14:28 pm »
So, this week while I was spending $$$ at amazon.com buying things I didn't really need like the sheet music to Brokeback Mountain, an unrated copy of Latter Days (and its score), the Donnie Darko score (well, you get the picture)....

Hey Lynne, I have the sheet music for Brokeback Mountain too!  I was really disapointed that it didn't include any of Gustavo's instrumentals.  I can read the treble clef and I play the keyboards by ear.  Chords, etc.   My goal with this sheet music is to learn the Bass Clef especially for my THEME SONG, "The Maker Makes".  I await "Latter Days".  I need more exercise too!  I have Media Center 2005 on my PC and I remote control everything from my bed.   Not the best place to lose weight!!
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 03:18:53 pm »
The unrated Latter Days movie?  :D
Why don't I know about this ...??

*scrambles off to amazon, tripping over everything in my way*

Edit to add:

Ok.. Phew .. turns out the version I own is the Unrated version .. just checked on amazon!  8)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 03:24:27 pm by Lucise »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 12:10:09 pm »
The unrated Latter Days movie?  :D
Why don't I know about this ...??

*scrambles off to amazon, tripping over everything in my way*

Edit to add:

Ok.. Phew .. turns out the version I own is the Unrated version .. just checked on amazon!  8)

Milli - you slay me :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 03:45:56 am »
I just checked Rebekah's Marathon info and she's up to 23 miles!

Yee-Haw!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 05:26:04 pm »
And after 22 weeks of training, Rebekah is running 26 miles!!!

Makes me feel like going to the gym and doing that half-mile I do once in awhile  :P
You, go, Rebekah!

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
An Update from Rebekah
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 10:38:09 am »
THE MARATHON IS HERE...7 Days and Counting!!!!

So I will try to restrain my desire to use my keyboard's exclamation point character too liberally, but.....Can you believe it?!!!! It's here!!!!!The Los Angeles Marathon is NEXT SUNDAY, MARCH 4th, 2007!!!! 

And I, Rebekah am doing it!!!! I'll admit the holidays got me off track, all the food (and drink), going to Mexico, moving, working  (um, like 4 jobs), then there was the flu I caught last month. Not pretty at all that flu. But here I am, a week away. And I'm gonna do it!!!

First I want to thank you for your generous donations. I am so grateful for all your support. I, through your compassionate giving,  have raised $1550 for people living with AIDS in Los Angeles. (Insert Fireworks Here, do a Happy Dance). I remember 6 months ago when we started. Yes, it was 6 months ago. For those of you who know me and my fear of commitment, aren't you impressed? Does this mean I am growing up? Ha! But 6 months ago, the idea of fundraising was just as daunting to me as the marathon itself. But we did it.

And so it is, the marathon is 7 days away. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared. I am terrified. Like horror movie, scared. But I am also excited. And I know that I will meet the challenge. If I have to crawl over that finish line, I will cross it.

What an undertaking though. Sometimes I wonder, what was I thinking??  I'm not a runner!! But I have met some wonderful people, had lots of laughs, a few tears, many aches and pains, and an all around good time training for this. And I have learned a lot about what we think we are capable of. And how so many of our perceived obstacles are just that, perceived. Mental. Sometimes nothing is stopping us but ourselves. Fear is a powerful thing. I'll paraphrase one of my  favorite quotes ever: "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important."

And I've decided that improving the lives of people with AIDS, and challenging my own personal and physical boundaries, is more important than being afraid. As far as I know, I've got this one life. So why not try new things? Why not brave new territory? Why not run the freaking marathon? And why not help other people in the process?

Okay, so this week we have to take it easy in terms of our training program. We have to eat lots and lots of carbs (yay!) and we have to also drink lots of water and gatorade. Gatorade is a funny thing. I used to think it taste like bland Koolade. Why bother having different flavors when they all suck? But somewhere in my delirium during and after the long runs, I became a convert. I swear it did replenish me a bit. So big up to Gatorade, you're alright by me.

This weekend in downtown L.A. is the big Marathon Expo. This is where I go to get my official running bib and timing chip. (!) This is how amazing technology is. This little chip goes on my running shoe and tracks my time. You'll even be able to track me online. I'll write again when I get the chip with the details for how to do that. You should be able to go the Los Angeles Marathon Website and either type in my bib number or my runner name (Rebekah Jordan) and find me on the course. Crazy right? A note of caution: don't be alarmed if you see the little computerized dot that is me veer off to the side or stop/stall on the course, I'm just working it out. I'll start moving 
again ;-)

Well I'm exhausted, long week. We did 8 miles today. It was bittersweet because today was our last run of the training program.  But it was also great because they made pancakes (and sausage!) for everyone at the end of it. Seriously, the Aids Marathon Training Program is amazing. They have taken such great care of us and told us all along that we can do it. But you can't hear that enough. And as the days get closer to Sunday, I'm sure my fear will get stronger some times, so I'd love it if some of you could just send me an email, or a message on Myspace. Just something encouraging. I will think of you all at some point during the marathon (probably when I see my life flash before me at around mile 24). And I will think of your messages, your donations, your encouragement, and it will motivate me to keep going.

So like I mentioned, I'll write again with the details on how to track me next Sunday. And then I'll write again after the marathon to let you all know how great it was. (positive thinking, positive thinking) Thank you all for sharing this with me. Truly.

Love,
Rebekah
"Laß sein. Laß sein."