Author Topic: 9 QUESTIONS - ***ANSWERS POSTED***  (Read 13774 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
9 QUESTIONS - ***ANSWERS POSTED***
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:35:24 am »
Questions

Here are 9 questions for you to answer.

They are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

Cut and paste the questions, along with your answers, and send them to me in a PM. I will send a PM back to you, with your score.

Next week I will post the correct answers and present a super-duper, stunning prize to the person with the highest score.

???    ???    ???    ???    ???    ???    ???    ???    ???

Here are the questions:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?  

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.  All other vegetables must be replanted every year.  What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.  The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.  How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words.  Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.  Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:31:31 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: 9 QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:40:07 am »
I've had a drink or two honey! :laugh:

Rough day.

I'll come back and take a look at it again tomorrow, if you don't mind. These look HARD and the whiskey ain't helping! :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:46:59 am »

I've had a drink or two honey! :laugh:

Rough day.

I'll come back and take a look at it again tomorrow, if you don't mind. These look HARD and the whiskey ain't helping! :-*

Sorry to hear you've had a rough day, David.  :'(

Enjoy your drink!  ;D

Looking forward to getting your PM tomorrow!   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:34:00 am »
I can only answer a few of these, but I'll jump in anyway:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. I have no clue!

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward? They all are if you consider that the earth is rotating constantly.

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.  All other vegetables must be replanted every year.  What are the only two perennial vegetables? Fennel and lettuce?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside? I should know this but I seem to have forgotten it!

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.  The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.  How did the pear get inside the bottle? The bottle is placed over the branch just as the pear starts forming on the tree.

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words.  Name two of them. Dwell, dwezil, dwip...

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.  Can you name at least half of them? period, comma, semicolon, colon, hash mark, question mark, exclamation mark, virgule (slash), tilde, asterisk, footnote mark, quote marks (double and single), ellipses, dot-dot-dot...

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh. Melon?

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.' slippers, slip-slaps, shoes, sling-backs, ...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:45:18 am »
Fun quiz, Kerry!  :D

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
Guessing how many beans there are in a jar?  :laugh:

Niagara Falls

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.  All other vegetables must be replanted every year.  What are the only two perennial vegetables?
No clue.

Strawberry

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.  The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.  How did the pear get inside the bottle?
Couldn't say.

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words.  Name two of them.
Dwarf and dwindle

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.  Can you name at least half of them?
Comma, period, dash, semi-colon, colon, parentheses, asterisk, exclamation point, question mark, slash, backslash, quotation marks

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
Banana

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'
Shoes, sandals, socks, slippers, skates, skis, snowshoes
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 12:07:21 pm »
Boxing

no idea

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons.  All other vegetables must be replanted every year.  What are the only two perennial vegetables?
no idea

no idea

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.  The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.  How did the pear get inside the bottle?
I know this one! :D They attach the bottles to the branch and put the fruit into it, as long as it's still small enough to fit through the neck. Then the fruit grows in the bottle.

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words.  Name two of them.
There must be more than three words, because I already know three: dwarf, dwell, dweeb

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.  Can you name at least half of them?
full stop, comma, semicolon, question mark, exclamation mark, colon, quotation mark

I had an idea, but now I forgot. :laugh:

shoes, sandals, socks, stockings, snowshoes, ski,

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:50 pm »
2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?  NIAGARA FALLS!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 03:58:23 pm »
I have answered these as well, but I PMed my answers to Kerry!  ;) 8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »
I have answered these as well, but I PMed my answers to Kerry!  ;) 8)

Oops, I didn't read the instructions.  Oh well, nobody look at my answers!  :-X  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:22:10 am »
And the winner is . . . . . .

Drum-roll, Maestro, please . . . . . .

The First Prize goes to . . . . . .

Gasp, 3 participants all got the highest score of 5 correct answers. They each win the First Prize of a beautiful Fairy Glitter Globe (luckily I had 3 in stock). They are . . . . . .

SONJA
(Sason)

MERYL

CHRISSI
(Penthesilia)

Winning a lovely glittery red rose in 2nd place, with 4 correct answers, is . . . . . .

LEE
(Front-Ranger)

And in 3rd place, winning a pretty pink star for correctly answering Niagara Falls  to Question 2 . . . . .

tforster

And as a special thank-you gift to everyone for entering, each participant gets a big basket of cherries, to make their very own yummy cherry cake . . . . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν