Author Topic: Laptop Fire Risk!  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Laptop Fire Risk!
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:12:06 pm »
Laptop Fire Risk!

This information about potentially fatal fires caused by laptops was emailed to me by a friend yesterday and I post it here as a community service announcement to the fair citizens of BetterMost:

"You may have heard that a good friend of ours in Mequon lost their 25  year old son in a fire at home June 4th. This is what  happened. He graduated with MBA from University two  weeks earlier and came home. Had a lunch with his dad at home and  decided to  go back to clean up his room at school. Father told him to wait and  see  his mother before he goes back for a few days. He decided to take a  snooze while waiting for his mom to come home from work.

Neighbors called 911 when they saw black smoke coming out of the house.  Their 25 year old son Arun died in the three year old house. It took several  days of investigation to find out the cause of the fire. It was  determined  that the fire was caused by laptop in the bed. When the laptop is on  the  bed, the cooling fan does not get air to cool the computer and that is what  caused the fire. He did not even wake up to get out of the bed he died  of  smoke inhalation.

The reason I am writing this to all of you is that I have seen all of us  using our laptop in bed. Let us all decide and make it a practice not  to do  that. Risk is real. Let us make it a rule not to use lap top in bed or  put  computer on bed with blankets and pillows around."

Take care, everyone, and always make sure your laptop has plenty of ventilation in future!

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Laptop Fire Risk!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »
This is very dangerous indeed.

Last year there was a terrible fire not far from here. A mother and her 4 children died when their house caught fire late at night.  :'(

It was found out that the cause of the fire was a laptop one of the sons had been using and left in the couch. The heat from the laptop made the couch smolder, and a couple of hours later when they were all asleep the couch caught fire.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre