Author Topic: BetterMost member LoneLeeB3 has passed away. Our grieving thread.  (Read 263368 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BetterMost member LoneLeeB3 passes away.
« Reply #490 on: August 04, 2010, 04:37:38 am »
I just read through some old PMs by Rich.
He always expressed his love, friendship and appreciation for us so freely, be it on the board or in PMs.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 04, 2010, 06:14:14 am »

Rest in Peace
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #492 on: August 04, 2010, 07:37:02 am »
Friends - I received this message from retropian (Ian), and he asked me to post it here on his behalf:

Hi All

I recently learned of the sad loss of Rich. What a horrible and senseless thing to happen. I'd just like to say how much I admired him. I remember when Rich first posted on IMDB. I was moved my his reaction to BBM and his self realizations. I was delighted to discover he had made his way to Bettermost and started a blog keeping everyone who cared informed of the monumental changes he was making in his life.

I did PM him a couple of times to tell him how great it was to see him take such courageous actions and to make the effort to live an authentic life, a sweet life, and how I admired him for it. That he found love with Gene and that his life had been utterly transformed all because our favorite movie was amazing and heartwarming.

Although I never had much contact with Rich I always felt happy knowing he was there; someone who made the effort to be true to himself and his loved ones and found love and happiness. I am so very sad right now, but that can't compare to what his family and friends must be feeling. My heart goes out to them all. The only consolation I can think of is that he did find his authentic self and Gene on this trans-formative journey and that he was much loved and loved much in return. How much sadder it would be if none of that had happened; if he had stayed stuck in the same place he was prior to viewing BBM.

Rich you will be missed, and I will never forget your story and the spirit with which you lived it.

Take care all.

Ian
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:21:35 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #493 on: August 04, 2010, 10:08:32 am »
On a lighter note, the only worry I have with a "Rich book" is that it's almost too perfect.  His story embodies all the morals a lot of art forms try to teach: that truth is paramount, risks can be worthwhile and dreams can come true.

There's always a tendency to idealize; but it's so encouraging that someone could change their life so much for the better.

On the "scene selection" part of the Brokeback DVD, the last scene is titled "The Power of Love."  When you add the courage to take those first few scary steps to that power, there's no telling what it can accomplish.

In Rich's very words: Have I told [all of] you lately that I love you and how glad I am to know you?

That's a lesson we all seem to have to learn over and over -- say it while you can.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #494 on: August 04, 2010, 12:06:21 pm »
I sent a card to Gene, and found one with a painting on the cover that was just what I was looking for, especially with the crossing-over-water image. Other than the moustache, it made me think of Ennis:

This is by Charles Pabst. A gallery of his Western and landscape paintings is at www.marcusashley.com/artist.php?aID=69

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #495 on: August 04, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »
I still have to force myself to come on here, even the banner makes me cry. What I do love is reading all the wonderful things that have been written about Rich. I also appreciate all the hard work that people are puuting into keeping us all informed of the latest, in spite of having to cope with horrendous grief.

What  I can say is that I know very few people whose passing, would launch such an avalanche of genuine grief. It is truly the mark of the man he was. Bloody hell I hate using the past tense.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #496 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »
I still have to force myself to come on here, even the banner makes me cry. What I do love is reading all the wonderful things that have been written about Rich. I also appreciate all the hard work that people are puuting into keeping us all informed of the latest, in spite of having to cope with horrendous grief.

What  I can say is that I know very few people whose passing, would launch such an avalanche of genuine grief. It is truly the mark of the man he was. Bloody hell I hate using the past tense.

{{{{{Fiona}}}}}

Yep, that is hard getting used to... :-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #497 on: August 04, 2010, 12:20:07 pm »
I sent a card to Gene, and found one with a painting on the cover that was just what I was looking for, especially with the crossing-over-water image. Other than the moustache, it made me think of Ennis:

This is by a Charles Pabst. A gallery of his Western and landscape paintings is at www.marcusashley.com/artist.php?aID=69

That's really a terrific card, Marcia - good on you for finding it...much better than the ordinary (but OK, I suppose) ones I found...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #498 on: August 04, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »

This is by a Charles Pabst. A gallery of his Western and landscape paintings is at www.marcusashley.com/artist.php?aID=69

That's a lovely image, Marcia.  :)

Speaking of crossing over water images, since Lynne reminded me that Rich was a Believer, I've had running through my mind a line from a hymn that I intend to have sung at my own funeral:

When I tread the verge of Jordan, bid my anxious fears subside;
death of death, and hell's destruction, land me safe on Canaan's side.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #499 on: August 04, 2010, 12:32:12 pm »
When I tread the verge of Jordan, bid my anxious fears subside;
death of death, and hell's destruction, land me safe on Canaan's side.

What hymn is that from, Jeff?

I/We've spent a lot of time listening to Abide With Me and Hymn for Those Left Behind this past week.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."