Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5490237 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"U" is unobtrusive
« Reply #21330 on: September 22, 2010, 01:02:57 am »
From a review of Brokeback Mountain at two-movies.com:

Forget the reductive "gay cowboy film" tag as this is the masterpiece that Ang Lee has been threatening to make for a few years now.

The film, about two men who fall in love on Brokeback Mountain and then find it impossible to ever recapture that moment of fleeting joy, is a masterclass in filmmaking. From Lee's sensitive and unobtrusive directing, through the actors' beautifully nuanced performances, to the stately cinematography, the film has all the hallmarks expected of great cinema.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"W" is wisps
« Reply #21331 on: September 22, 2010, 10:04:50 am »
From underneath Ennis's cowboy hat peaked wisps of golden hair.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Round 886!
« Reply #21332 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14:19 am »
Round 886!

Another Color Round
"Mama, I need crayons."

Each post will include an unplayed word
along with the name of a color.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"A" is amber
« Reply #21333 on: September 22, 2010, 10:44:03 am »
Hoping to make a connection, Jack offered to join Jimbo in imbibing another amber beverage.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:33:38 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

"B" is betrothal
« Reply #21334 on: September 22, 2010, 01:42:30 pm »
After learning of Alma Junior's betrothal to Kurt, Ennis retrieved a half-empty bottle of white wine from the refrigerator in order to propose a toast.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"C" is coral
« Reply #21335 on: September 22, 2010, 02:23:25 pm »
Lashawn's lively conversation was enhanced by her coral lipstick.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"D" is dunce
« Reply #21336 on: September 22, 2010, 02:36:49 pm »
At Thanksgiving, Alma, flushing pink as she scraped away at the dishes, revealed to Ennis that she hadn't been a dunce all those years about his relationship with Jack Twist:  "Don't try to fool me no more, Ennis.  I know what it means....you didn't go up there to fish."

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

"E" is emblem
« Reply #21337 on: September 22, 2010, 05:09:25 pm »
From SparkNotes:

Important Quotations Explained

"Tell you what, we could a had a good life together, a fuckin real good life. You wouldn’t do it, Ennis, so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain. Everthing built on that. It’s all we got, boy, fuckin all, so I hope you know that if you don’t never know the rest."

In this passage, Jack, looking back on what could have been, lashes out at Ennis for not allowing them to build a life together. In his frustration, Brokeback Mountain -- the scene of their first tryst and the one-time emblem of their unblemished love -- becomes a darker, more ominous symbol: it stands for all the tantalizing memories and pleasure they can never recapture. Jack’s accusation highlights the differences between him and Ennis. Jack has pressured Ennis to settle down with him and give their relationship a more solid ground, regardless of wife and family, but Ennis has been steadfast in his refusals, citing his obligation to family as well as his desire to avoid scrutiny and punishment. By this point in the story, there is a sense of inevitability about their lack of a future together, and Jack knows it. They have only two options: move forward or keep gazing backward at their summer together on the mountain. Jack’s declaration that "what we got now is Brokeback Mountain" underscores the sad fact that the latter option is their fate.

=comment=
Wow, SparkNotes!!!!!

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"F" is fuchsia
« Reply #21338 on: September 22, 2010, 05:59:19 pm »
The color of the Twists' dining room chairs was somewhere between puce and fuchsia.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"G" is greenish
« Reply #21339 on: September 22, 2010, 06:29:58 pm »
There was a slight greenish glow to Jack's first-night-on-the-mountain-full-moon scene.