Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5490034 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"H" is honky-tonks
« Reply #21360 on: October 15, 2010, 04:21:32 pm »
"Ennis's and Jack's acute emotions -- yearning, loneliness, disappointment, loss, love and, yes, lust -- are affecting because they are universal. But while the screenplay, by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, adheres closely to the Proulx original, it even more vividly roots the movie in the rural all-American milieu, with its forlorn honky-tonks and small-town Fourth of July picnics, familiar from elegiac McMurtry works like The Last Picture Show."

=aside= Fran

Thanks!

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
"I" is ill-equipped
« Reply #21361 on: October 15, 2010, 04:58:47 pm »
On Brokeback, they were ill-equipped on most everything. Clothes, food, tents; you name it.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"L" is lagers
« Reply #21362 on: October 15, 2010, 10:39:00 pm »
After securing their summer jobs at Aguirre's office, Jack and Ennis enjoyed a few lagers at a bar in Signal.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"M" is milieu
« Reply #21363 on: October 16, 2010, 12:04:02 am »
"Ennis's and Jack's acute emotions -- yearning, loneliness, disappointment, loss, love and, yes, lust -- are affecting because they are universal. But while the screenplay, by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, adheres closely to the Proulx original, it even more vividly roots the movie in the rural all-American milieu, with its forlorn honky-tonks and small-town Fourth of July picnics, familiar from elegiac McMurtry works like The Last Picture Show."

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
"N" is naval
« Reply #21364 on: October 16, 2010, 06:22:16 am »
On Brokeback, Jack and Ennis became close friends and talked about everything, including the naval vessel Thresher.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"O" is overdecorated
« Reply #21365 on: October 16, 2010, 08:51:06 am »
The bar in Signal had a severely overdecorated wall.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"P" is political
« Reply #21366 on: October 16, 2010, 09:42:06 am »
That evening, I asked Larry how he would feel if any staunch "Lonesome Dove" fans turned against him for being involved with a film that subverts the myth of the American West and its iconic heroes. He replied that he'd never given it a thought. I told him good, I figured as much, I just needed to hear you say the words. That was the only time we ever spoke about any political implications to making a film of "Brokeback Mountain."

-- Diana Ossana, "Climbing Brokeback Mountain"      
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:22:59 am by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"R" is reversal
« Reply #21367 on: October 17, 2010, 12:09:50 am »
Wyoming, 1963. Two young drifters turn up at a remote office and get hired to spend the summer together, herding sheep high up on Brokeback Mountain. Suspicious, laconic, stunned by cold and hardship, they don't seem a natural pair - until, drunk one night, enforced intimacy turns to sexual contact. It's a contact that is just as unexpected and unacceptable to them as it remains to some today, especially in the rural American west. In a stunning reversal, though, the drifters fall emotionally and physically in love. Up on idyllic Brokeback Mountain, far from social approbation, Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) luxuriate in a rough-and-tumble idyll as Edenic in spirit as it is in setting. The mountain seems to bless their union, but inexorably the air begins to chill, they come down off the mountain, and they part. Five years later, they meet again - now married with children - and Ang Lee's extraordinary saga, Brokeback Mountain, advances through the decades with them.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"S" is subverts
« Reply #21368 on: October 17, 2010, 09:51:31 am »
That evening, I asked Larry how he would feel if any staunch "Lonesome Dove" fans turned against him for being involved with a film that subverts the myth of the American West and its iconic heroes. He replied that he'd never given it a thought. I told him good, I figured as much, I just needed to hear you say the words. That was the only time we ever spoke about any political implications to making a film of "Brokeback Mountain."
-- Diana Ossana, "Climbing Brokeback Mountain"     

=aside= Fran
Thanks again.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"T" is tripper
« Reply #21369 on: October 17, 2010, 11:09:13 am »
For much of his life Jack Twist sat behind the wheel of a truck or car driving the wide open spaces of the West, whether as a road tripper on the Texas rodeo circuit or on long hauls to visit his old love Ennis del Mar in Wyoming.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:36:51 pm by Holy Terror »
Ich bin ein Brokie...