Author Topic: Meeting Brokies in Person??  (Read 15479 times)

horo35

Re: Meeting Brokies in Person??
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 01:25:49 am »
Wow, seems alot of brokies are either meeting in the US or overseas.  Haven't heard of any get togethers in Canada yet.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 10:14:01 am »
Horo, surely there are fellow Brokies right there in Calgary, since the movie was filmed there! Time to do some rallying of the troops! I'll bet you could get crew members to come and talk to your group if you had one.

It's about time for me to weigh in on this. My first Brokie that I ever met in person was Katherine (latjoreme), and I hope to get together with her again, maybe over winter break. Next I met Impish in Albuquerque and we had a wonderful evening together. He gave me a CD of Rufus Wainwright's songs, which I treasure. Next I met Marge Innavera in Kansas City. We had a great lunch together and walked through the historic Plaza area.

I was particularly thrilled to meet a brokie in my own neighborhood--LauraGigs! She is a multitalented artist, musician, and raconteur who I could talk to for days without running out of things to say! Since meeting her, I have had the opportunity to go to a concert where she performed (see the Social Events forum for a review) and a Wendy Woo/poetry slam concert as her guest. Meeting brokies has really enriched my social life and circle of friendships immensely.

I drove to a rural part of Colorado to met nakymaton (Mel) for the sheepherder's festival when the sheep were brought down from the mountain.  And then in Casper, I hit the motherlode! I met ptannen (Pete), EDelMar (Adam), Adrian.delmar, brokeback_1 (Brokebackjack), his fiancee Kristin, tellyouwhat (Ellen), and the greatest Brokie of them all, Annie Proulx! (I also met THE TRUCK, the shirts, the horse, the jacknife, the Oscar program, the Golden Globes program, etc. etc. I guess you could say I went to Brokie heaven!) Later I met Adam's friend David, who may or may not be a brokie, but I consider him as one, especially since he was wearing Jack's Wrangler shirt!

I have also met with two more Brokies since then, the moderators of the Eyelashes and Juicy Bits forums on the DC board. We are planning a get-together in Denver next Memorial Day. If you want to meet more Brokies in person, put this on your calendar!!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:37:48 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

iluvchocolate

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 02:26:17 pm »
Front, I am waitin g for ther mother load when everyne comes up here this summer .  I cant wait to see everyone face to face.... Oh and front ...congrats on becomeing a Mod!!! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 04:03:12 pm »
That's going to be a sweet life in Alberta next July! I have it on my calendar!! And as for me being a mod--I don't know how it happened! I thought I was going to be a social coordinator. But now there's no going back. So, thanks, I think!!

moremojo

Two Brokies, face to face
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 12:03:50 pm »
Howdy, friends!

Just had to share the news that, finally, after two and a half years of online acquaintance, I met one of my dearest friends face to face for the first time--Melinda (Sashca1007), right here in my hometown! Melinda and I first met on IMDb back in February 2004, just days after I turned thirty-seven, and we developed an immediate and lasting rapport. It turned out we had a mutual friend  :D, which made our developing acquaintance all the more interesting.

Melinda encountered BbM almost two months before I did, but when I finally caught up with it, I fell in love with this masterpiece as ardently as she had, and this shared enthusiasm just deepened our already existing friendship. Even though we were separated by half a continent's distance, it was most reassuring to have such a beautiful human being accompany me in spirit on this amazing Brokeback journey.

Melinda had occasion to visit my home town for the first time this past Tuesday, November 7th. My sister Cathy and I arranged to meet her at Pappacito's, a Mexican-food restaurant, where we proceeded to enjoy a delicious meal and scintillating conversation. Melinda is such a gorgeous, gentle soul, and I could scarcely count my blessings at being in the presence of someone who in my eyes is a living legend. Cathy and I saw Melinda off at her motel nearby, and I arranged to meet Melinda the next day for another round of visiting and getting better acquainted (I was taking the day off from work).

Melinda picked me up from my home the following morning, and drove me to a dental appointment which was important for me to keep. That didn't take long, and from there we proceeded to my usual haunt of the campus, where I took my friend to see the world's oldest photograph and our copy of the Gutenberg Bible, both on permanent display. We then visited the library at which I work, and from there went to the new Museum of Art, where works by Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell, two of Melinda's favorite artists, were available for viewing. There is one enormous Remington canvas that is one of the museum's treasures, and also a bronze sculpture by the same artist that I think is even more beautiful. I showed Melinda some of my favorite works in the collection, including a masterpiece by Nicolas de Largilliere (a Portrait of a Gentleman from circa 1715), and my very favorite among the collection, a Holy Family by Mattia Preti that is so touching in its understated gentleness.

From there, we went to find something to eat, and I took her to a Thundercloud's sandwich shop which had a mural that I knew she would appreciate. I was right! We ate our sandwiches next to this mural, and Melinda showed me a treasure trove of photographs she had brought from her personal collection of memorabilia; we spent three hours in conversation thus engaged.

From here, we walked to Lobo, just two stores down, which is our local lesbigay bookstore. Melinda expressed her admiration for the establishment, and we both marvelled at the incredible variety and quantity of merchandise. At that point, we drove to my sister's church, where she was finishing up choir practice, and we all three repaired to Threadgill's, a local iconic restaurant, for dinner. Melinda really enjoyed her meal (you can't go wrong at Threadgill's), and we visited well into the night, Cathy leaving a bit earlier to go home and prepare for the next day.

Melinda dropped me off at my house, but not before we purchased a couple of Dr. Pepper's so that Melinda could sample that fabled beverage in "Dr. Pepper country"  ;), and we visited some more before Melinda repaired back to her motel in preparation for driving to Dallas the next day and flying out from there. I told her before parting that hopefully it won't be too long before our next meeting--maybe in Colorado or Alberta!

Well, this was a dream come true, to be sure. Melinda was every bit as sweet and thoughtful as I knew she would be, and I count myself most fortunate to call her friend. She is a real treasure, and I am so happy to know she is here among us at BetterMost, continuing this path of shared love and discovery in honor of two presences we call Jack and Ennis.

Sharing the good news,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:31:57 pm by moremojo »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 12:43:10 pm »
I am so happy to hear about your visit with Melinda, Scott! I missed you the last few days and am overjoyed to hear that your absence was for a happy reason! I can't tell you how excited I am to hear that you both might be considering coming to Alberta or Colorado or both! Knowing how you don't like to travel, I am extra impressed!! Would there be some pics of this meeting??? Best wishes,

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 12:54:59 pm »
Would there be some pics of this meeting??? Best wishes,

Hey, FRiend Lee!

Melinda did take a few shots of me, in front of the UT tower and in the back of Threadgill's, as well as snapping a picture of that evocative Thundercloud's mural that was so to her liking. When she has regained the capacity to scan images onto her computer, she may well share some of those here (it could provide some welcome addendum to my tiny, hard-to-see avatar portrait). Neither Cathy nor I, unfortunately, had the foresight to dig out Cathy's digital camera for any of our rendezvous, so we didn't help out any on the picture front.

Like I told Melinda, Colorado and Alberta are definitely things to dream about; dreams do have a way sometimes of turning into reality  :D!

Best regards,
Scott

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 02:37:39 pm »
I envy the two of you seeing works by Remington and Russell. Annie Proulx talked about both of them in her talk in Casper Wyoming at the Equality State bookfest. I saw paintings by Remington a couple of years ago at the Denver Art Museum. Altho he is known for his sculpture, I found the paintings fascinating because of his use of light. How I would have loved to hear Melinda's and your reactions to that art!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 10:50:51 pm »
Scott, I am so glad you and Melinda had a great time together.  As she knows, she was one of the highlights of the Castro Adventure for me, and a wonderful hostess.  I'm glad she got to have some wonderful hosting from you in return!

What is the significance of Dr. Pepper?  I don't drink soda very often, but when I do, I'm a diet Dr. Pepper girl. 

So happy for the two of you,

Clarissa

moremojo

Dr. Pepper country
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 12:09:35 pm »
What is the significance of Dr. Pepper?  I don't drink soda very often, but when I do, I'm a diet Dr. Pepper girl.
One of the lines that Melinda uttered in a film she was in (from back in 1975) went, "That's Dr. Pepper country down there." This was regarding a character who was on his way down to Waco, Texas--a city that Melinda passed through both coming to and going away from my home town. So the stop in Waco, and the sampling of Dr. Pepper, were poignant moments--thirty-one years in the making!

Hope I'm not giving too many of Melinda's secrets away.

;)
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:12:18 pm by moremojo »