Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2137982 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 04:47:45 pm »
[i
I wonder, this is also featured in the Bridges of Madison County (a film which, by the way, has a LOT in common with BBM), but that movie wasn't filmed in Indiana, was it?

Just poked my nose in here, and saw Bridges of Madison County, mentioned.......I have written in other posts, the similarity between the two movies, the story of forbidden love, given up because of family committments....I loved that movie back then, saw it several times and read the book just as many.

If any Brokies havent seen it, they should...

And those covered bridges, are beautiful, thank you for the explanation of them, does make sense.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 06:45:01 pm »
Is Indiana the place where "Breaking Away" was filmed? Dennis Quaid was in that movie...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 09:31:00 pm »
Is Indiana the place where "Breaking Away" was filmed? Dennis Quaid was in that movie...

Yes. "Breaking Away" was filmed in Bloomington, Indiana about 50 miles south of Indianapolis. The school featured in the movie was Indiana University (I.U.) also located in Bloomington.  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 10:01:06 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 09:54:06 pm »
Melissa, Geri and Katie...

Here are a few pictures of some covered bridges ...just for you!

Cumberland Bridge in Matthews, Indiana (Grant County)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Potters Bridge near Noblesville, Indiana (Hamilton County)

Vermont Bridge located near Kokomo, Indiana (Howard County)

Bridgeton Bridge located in Bridgeton, Indiana (Parke County)

Holton Covered Bridge in Ripley County Indiana

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:03:34 pm by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 10:34:32 pm »
It was a gloomy and cold morning. I spent my morning and early afternoon catching up on some work. I am working from home right now until my leg is better. After staring at the General Ledger and Payroll for 5 hours, I decided to take a break and clean my coffee maker. I have one of those computerized coffee makers. When I clean it, I am suppose to pour 1/2 pot of vinegar into the machine and press the "clean" button. I hobbled back upstairs and decided to log on to Bettermost for a few minutes. A few minutes suddenly turned into an hour, and I forgot all about the coffee machine. As soon as I remembered, I went back downstairs to see if it had finished its' cleaning process. When I walked into my kitchen I saw it. For some reason, the vinegar had flooded out of the coffee machine. There was vinegar all over the kitchen counter and all over the floor. The entire downstairs smelled of vinegar. As I was bending over to clean up the mess, Cody (my dog) came bolting out of the utility room, skidded across the vinegar puddle and slid into me. Both of us were covered in it.

Well, I just felt like crying. Just as I was about to go into my "drama queen" mode, I heard a news report on MSNBC about a suicide bomber who detonated himself somewhere in Iraq, killing several people.

Suddenly my BIG vinegar problem didn't seem so big anymore. There are wars raging in far away places like Iraq and Afghanistan, people starving and dying in Darfur, and my biggest problem of the day was an overflowing coffee machine and some trouble balancing the payroll. I have never felt so ashamed. It's so easy to make our small problems into big ones while forgetting how bad life is for others.

I hope that vinegar smell stays around a few days longer. I hope everytime I smell vinegar from now on, I will remember the lesson I learned today.

In summary, Cody had a bath, I had a shower, the mess was cleaned up and the payroll and GL was balanced.

.... and people are still dying overseas.    :'(

I hope I never act like that again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 02:24:34 am by David925 »

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 10:59:33 pm »
david if i may say one thing? dont be so hard on yourself

i went through somthing similiar  recently and a good friend reminded me it  could be worse and  gave some expamples of  the worse lets just say its a  sobering  experience

one day  our planet will wake up and  realize we shouldnt hate  we  should work together and itll be a beautiful day but i dont think itll come in my life time  but i have faith itll happen !

<hugs david925>
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 12:20:11 am »
David,
 Thank you for posting those beautiful covered bridges. That last one almost looks like it could be a mobile trailer with it's window open. What a wonderful part of history that's worthy of the bragging and of course the perserving.
 You know sometimes I feel the same way you felt about the vinegar today I have had that happen to me alot  .Something small like the automatic coffee machine, mine especially, go all over the counter. I have thrown so many of them out. That sends me into a "why me?" Why is it that every coffee maker I get do this? Other peoples dont! Then I get feeling mad, sad at the same time, like I cant take this any more! Then I watch the news and I see another high school has a shooting.  More students have been shot. All this going on when I was feeling sorry for myself about a f**ing coffee mess.
I have a daughter in tenth grade. I count my lucky stars when I see whats going on on tv.  We are only human. We do get sick and tired of these everyday aggravations. But how lucky we are that all it is is spilled coffee or vinagar. Your right, lets not ever forget.

P.s  Bottom line I have decided that :) I am getting a perculator.!!

Geri
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 01:14:16 am »
Geri... I totally agree.

Also, I heard about those terrible shootings in Florida and Colorado. I can't imagine how stressful this is for parents.

It's weird how something so small can trigger a "meditation". I remember driving down I-465 (the interstate circling Indianapolis) and a huge semi truck passed me at a very high rate of speed. On the back of this truck was crushed cars. There must have been 12 of these cars piled up on the back of this truck. All of them were as flat as pancakes. On the bottom of the pile was a brand new Lincoln Town Car. Now, just about everyone knows Lincolns are very expensive cars, and yet, there it was.. crushed, with 4 or 5 flattened cars piled on top of it. A brand new Lincoln Town Car.

I started thinking about the person who owned this brand new, flattened Lincoln. How many ulcers did he go through to earn the money to buy this car? How many sleepless nights? And there it was... crushed and at the BOTTOM of the pile.

We go through this life trying our best to make our lives as happy and as comfortable as we can for ourselves and our loved ones.  This is the way it should be. But we also spend a tremendous amount of time chasing after so many "other" things... a new HD Television, a new stereo, a new sports car, a new computer or a new leather jacket. I don't see anything wrong with purchasing these things. But what are we putting ourselves through in order to get them?  Sometimes I think people (myself included) spend far too much time at work and earning that money, in order to afford all those "things". I wonder how many get togethers with friends I have passed up, or how many family reunions I failed to attend just so I could have all these "things"? "Things", "possessions" get old, break down, wear out and get crushed; just like that new Lincoln Town Car on its' way to the junkyard. And look at the "price" some of us pay in order to have them.   :(

All that meditation from just watching a semi truck pass me on the interstate hauling a bunch of flattened cars.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:18:00 am by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 02:15:12 am »

P.s  Bottom line I have decided that :) I am getting a perculator.!!

Geri

I just noticed your comment about the perculator. My mother owned a perculator years and years....... AND YEARS ago when I was very young. Do they still sell them? My mother's perculator had a little glass handle at the top. It was hollow and you could see through it. I loved watching the coffee jump up and down through that little glass handle. It was better than tv. I guess I was a weird kid, but I will never forget that perculator. It was very hypnotizing.  :)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 08:11:22 am »
David,
Yes I do believe they do sell them. My mother used to have one with the glass top too. I loved watching the coffee pop up and I loved to listen to it too. Something about that experience was very cozy to me. The coffee might of taken a little bit longer to make but it was so much better. I want one. no more proctor Silex or what ever they are. Its funny that we both had a "coffee maker meltdown" this week!

Its funny about the flattened cars. Your so right about people breaking their backs all their lives and miss out on so much just to drive a car like that. I know I have. It's so silly. We have got to take more time out to enjoy whats real and important everyday. In our case David., take time out to once again...." smell the Perculated coffee" :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:25:15 am by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "