Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2146865 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2006, 08:53:12 pm »
I just was remembering a game I'd used to play with a few neighborhood kids in fall in my big backyard in Indianapolis.  We would rake the leaves into elaborate mazes sort of like this one (but not so perfect!):

And then try to catch each other by running through the maze without jumping over 'walls'!  We didn't use a pattern for the mazes, we just let them grow quickly and spontaneously by accretion.  Otherwise, it would be getting dark before it was time to do the chasing!

Andrew, thanks for that and also for including the picture of the maze. Did you ever go to New Harmony (down by Evansville) and go through the maze there? It is a big one and you can easily get lost in it!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2006, 08:57:45 pm »
Here are the Pyramids on the north side of Indianapolis.  David, do you have any interesting stories to tell about them?

Larz... Yes I love the Pyramids too. I use to work at 80th and Michigan Road, so I drove by them every day on my way to work. No, sorry I don't have any stories about them.

...... do you?   ;)

Speaking of Ayr-Way, do you remember Burger Chef? Another Indianapolis classic! Of course they are gone now, but mom use to take me and my sister to Burger Chef every other weekend.

I always ordered a hamburger, small french fries and a vanilla milk shake!  :D

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2006, 09:06:45 pm »
Howdy David!
In the neighborhood again, boy I'm in your neighborhood alot lately.
Anyways I thought I would drop you  off a  housewarming picture for your new place here. Remember when I told you I have driven through Indiana several times? Well this is a picture I took at at rest stop for coffee. I thought it was a beautiful sunset. I have several pictures from trips i took but I thought this one was perfect for your wall.

tGot to run!
Geri

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:25:51 am by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2006, 09:16:54 pm »
Howdy David!
In the neighborhood again, boy I'm in your neighborhood alot lately.
Anyways I thought I would drop you  off a  house warming picture for your new place here. Remember when I told you I have driven through Indianna several times? Well this is a picture I took at at exit for coffee. I thought it was a beautiful sunset. I have several pictures from trips i took but I thought this one was perfect for your wall.

tGot to run!
Geri

:D  Wow Geri!  :D

That is a beautiful picture! Thanks for posting it so everyone can see it!

Hey, it does look good on my wall!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2006, 09:38:48 pm »
LOL! well I live where we have tons of pine trees...and we would rake up the leaves to build houses, towns, farms...just about anything...

Jess...

I use to build forts in my backyard. I would drag out all the benches chairs and tables I could find and position them next to each other, on top of each other (and any other position I could think of). Then, I would go back into the house and grab all of my mom's clean sheets, take them outside and cover all the tables and chairs with them. Next I would grab all her clean towels and line the inside of my fort with them.

I loved it!   :)

My mom didn't.  :(

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2006, 09:55:27 pm »
Larz... Yes I love the Pyramids too. I use to work at 80th and Michigan Road, so I drove by them every day on my way to work. No, sorry I don't have any stories about them.

...... do you?   ;)

Speaking of Ayr-Way, do you remember Burger Chef? Another Indianapolis classic! Of course they are gone now, but mom use to take me and my sister to Burger Chef every other weekend.

I always ordered a hamburger, small french fries and a vanilla milk shake!  :D

Er, no. No stories to post here.

I do recall Burger Chef - AND Jeff.  The actual food orders escape me but I suspect my order would have been the same, plus cheese.  hehe

Great post!  Thanks for refreshing my memory.  I had confused some of the details, many actually.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2006, 10:04:19 pm »
Er, no. No stories to post here.

I do recall Burger Chef - AND Jeff.  The actual food orders escape me but I suspect my order would have been the same, plus cheese.  hehe

Great post!  Thanks for refreshing my memory.  I had confused some of the details, many actually.

Oh Larz! Surely you remember the Big Chefs!

They were akin to a Big Mac, only better! In fact, I think McDonalds may have "borrowed" the idea for the Big Mac from Burger Chef. I remember when the Big Macs were first offered at McDonalds. Burger Chef was selling Big Chefs much earlier.

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2006, 10:13:29 pm »
LOL, yes I clearly remember Burger Chef, just not the food order.  I was referring to the "Burger Chef and Jeff" advertisements.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2006, 10:33:27 pm »
LOL, yes I clearly remember Burger Chef, just not the food order.  I was referring to the "Burger Chef and Jeff" advertisements.

HEEEELLLLLLOO!!!!   :D

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Just a little "blast from the past" for you Larz!   ;)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:47:53 pm by David925 »

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2006, 10:48:32 pm »
Good one!  And…

Did you have one of these?  I did.

And here we go.  These are plentiful.  Wonder why I couldn’t find Ayr-Way last night?