Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2119556 times)

Offline GG

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2006, 12:39:20 am »
Hi there,
Just reading your blog. Really fun to read. I don't get on much but when I do I like to read everything new. Really like the tales about when you were a kid. Made me laugh.

Will stop again
Greg
meow!

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2006, 08:59:28 am »
Hi Greg, I can spend forever just reading here and also love David's and everyone's else's posts. 

Nice hat, BTW! 

See ya.
~Larz

mvansand76

« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2006, 09:20:12 am »
Wow, just when I thought I knew everything about you, David!  :-*Congrats on your mega-popular blog and I do agree with littlewing, you are a very good writer! The compliments go both ways you know...  ;)

Scott6373

« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2006, 09:32:03 am »
It amazes me how, despite distance, so many things are the same for us all around the country.

The pictures of Burger Chef (which was closed by the board of health in my town years ago).  The coverred bridges, of which we have quite a few in New England, and are particularly spectacular this time of year.  Sometimes I DO wish we could go back to that simpler life...then I come to my senses and realize it was only simpler because we were just kids.

Still, David, the descriptive narative of your home does cause a twinge of longing. 

moremojo

« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2006, 06:02:21 pm »
I am slow to catch up with things sometimes, and I just now read your opening post, David. So sweet and articulate, right in tune with the impression I have formed of you.

I so enjoyed your evocative description of your home state. One of my very best buds is from Lafayette, Indiana, though she currently resides in California, and my beloved great-grandmother was born in the Hoosier State's Howard County. I have never been to Indiana myself.

David, have you been to Brown County? That was the site of a famous artists' colony, an important branch of the American Impressionist school of painting. Were I ever fortunate enough to visit Indiana, after pilgrimages to Lafayette and Howard County, I would most like to see this corner of your state.

Got a lot more reading to do in your thread here. Looking forward to it, and so happy you are a member of our online Brokie family.

:)
Scott

Edit: Correction of a minor typo--can't stand leaving them little buggers uncorrected!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:21:02 pm by moremojo »

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2006, 09:21:49 pm »
David -

Thank you so much for letting me aware of your wonderful blog! It makes me miss Indy an awful lot. I am now living in northern Indiana where there is large Amish population. So now, instead of traffic jams, I am stuck behind horse and buggies or left waiting for one of the many trains to pass. Being that I am not the most patient person in the world (that is putting it mildly), it has been a readjustment. Of course the tragedy of what happened in PA is felt deeply here. It is odd because so many people see that horror as somewhat of a spectacle. There isn’t an understanding of the Amish, the people or their beliefs. Having a father who was raised Amish and who still has relatives within the Mennonite to Amish continuum, I understand them completely and am saddened by what has happened. But in true to form, they have forgiven the man who killed their loved ones and are praying for the family whose spouse/ father/ brother/ son committed the crimes.

On a more uplifting note … I can say that I love being a Hoosier. I have tried living elsewhere (Texas), but it never felt like home. For those who don’t know about Indiana, there is some much to see …. really! And as David has said …. BASKETBALL … is like a religion here! (But I have to say I love football and my beloved COLTS!!!!)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2006, 09:42:24 pm »
Current Weather in Indianapolis: Clear, Breezy and Mild   Temp: 64 F (18 C)
My Current Mood: Sleepy

Holy Jack-O-Lanterns Batman! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! What ever happened to Halloween?   ???

I decided to head up to Target today and look at some coffee makers. Just as soon as I walked through the door I could see dozens of artificial Christmas trees twinking in the back of the store! What? Where are all the Halloween decorations? I couldn't see any, but I could see a whole forest of fake Christmas trees in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes! I asked the saleslady if people were buying them and she said not only are people buying them, they are already sold out of a few models.

WOW!

Now don't get me wrong. I am not a Scrooge. I love Christmas.

As a child I couldn't wait for the  Christmas season to finally come. I was even worse once I started working. I spent most of my paychecks purchasing Christmas lights and decorations. During the months of November and early December, I made frequent trips to Ayr-way and K-Mart to buy boxes of twinkling lights, ornaments and electric candles.

After several years of buying these lights and decorations, our house looked like a winter wonderland. It drove my parents crazy too. "Why do you keep spending your money on all these Christmas lights?", they would ask me. But the house and yard did look beautiful. WIBC (a local radio station) even did a "flyover" of our house one year and mentioned it live on the radio! People began driving past our house at night; some would slow down and others would just park their cars and look.

I decorated everything I could think of. Every window was bordered in lights. Lights were placed along the edge of every side of the roof, including the gables. Electric candles lit every window, lights covered every bush and tree (except the full size trees) in the yard. I even bordered the sides of the driveway and sidewalk in lights.

So, I am no Scrooge, believe me!

But don't you think September is just a little early to be putting up Christmas trees?   >:(

We are going to be sick of Christmas before it even gets here!

I just dismissed all of this as a bunch of "Hoosier Foolishness" earlier today, but after talking to a friend of mine in Florida, I found out all the stores are doing the very same thing down there!

What happened to Halloween this year? Soon, we will be hearing about witches flying sleighs instead of brooms, Santa stirring a cauldron and vampire bats on top of Christmas trees.

Can anyone say "Casper the Red Ass Specter"?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2006, 09:51:58 pm »
Wow, just when I thought I knew everything about you, David!  :-*Congrats on your mega-popular blog and I do agree with littlewing, you are a very good writer! The compliments go both ways you know...  ;)

Thanks Melissa! May I compliment you now? You are an excellent writer too. You write well in both English AND Dutch!

By the way Melissa, what happened to your picture? Don't get me wrong, the shoes are cute too.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2006, 10:03:35 pm »
It amazes me how, despite distance, so many things are the same for us all around the country.

The pictures of Burger Chef (which was closed by the board of health in my town years ago).  The coverred bridges, of which we have quite a few in New England, and are particularly spectacular this time of year.  Sometimes I DO wish we could go back to that simpler life...then I come to my senses and realize it was only simpler because we were just kids.

Still, David, the descriptive narative of your home does cause a twinge of longing. 

Hi Scott! Did they have Burger Chefs up in New England too? I knew Burger Chef was headquartered here in Indianapolis, but I always thought they were only located in Indiana. Wow!  That's great! I always did love their Big Chefs.. and their milk shakes!   :)

On a more uplifting note … I can say that I love being a Hoosier. I have tried living elsewhere (Texas), but it never felt like home. For those who don’t know about Indiana, there is some much to see …. really! And as David has said …. BASKETBALL … is like a religion here! (But I have to say I love football and my beloved COLTS!!!!)

Diane... then you must be happy about the Colt's performance this season! 4 wins / 0 losses! I wonder how well they will do this weekend against Tennessee?  Thanks for your post! Please come back and post some more, anytime you want! I would love to read more about you, your family and your life in Indiana!

David, have you been to Brown County? That was the site of a famous artists' colony, an important branch of the American Impressionist school of painting. Were I ever fortunate enough to visit Indiana, after pilgrimages to Lafayette and Howard County, I would most like to see this corner of your state.

Got a lot more reading to do in your thread here. Looking forward to it, and so happy you are a member of our online Brokie family.

:)
Scott in Texas

Edit: Correction of a minor typo--can't stand leaving them little buggers uncorrected!

Hi Scott! Oh yes, I have heard of Brown County! I have been there many times! Nashville, Indiana is a favorite place for artists to congregate. The surrounding hills come alive during the Fall in autumn colors. There is always a smell of apple butter in the air too. People will slow cook apple butter over open fires, jar it, and you can buy it and take it home with you. I always think of sassafras tea too. Have you ever drank sassafras tea? It's really good and Brown county is famous for it (actually it can be found throughout the state). It's really good with some fresh honey drizzled in it.

Hi there,
Just reading your blog. Really fun to read. I don't get on much but when I do I like to read everything new. Really like the tales about when you were a kid. Made me laugh.

Will stop again
Greg

Greg.... Please come by and post again okay?  :D

Hi Greg, I can spend forever just reading here and also love David's and everyone's else's posts. 

Nice hat, BTW! 

See ya.
~Larz

Larz.... Yeah, that was a lot of fun sharing our thoughts and memories the other night. Let's do it again okay?   :)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2006, 10:05:34 pm »
Holy Jack-O-Lanterns Batman! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! What ever happened to Halloween?   ???

I decided to head up to Target today and look at some coffee makers. Just as soon as I walked through the door I could see dozens of artificial Christmas trees twinking in the back of the store! What? Where are all the Halloween decorations? I couldn't see any, but I could see a whole forest of fake Christmas trees in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes! I asked the saleslady if people were buying them and she said not only are people buying them, they are already sold out of a few models.

What happened to Halloween this year? Soon, we will be hearing about witches flying sleighs instead of brooms, Santa stirring a cauldron and vampire bats on top of Christmas trees.

You know it gets earlier and earlier every year! You've ever heard of "Christmas in July"?? Kidding!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."