Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2147787 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4090 on: March 22, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »
Hi Fiona!

Yes, when something like that happens in our childhood it is very difficult to get over. When I was 14, I watched a tornado jump our house. I heard the sirens go off and I went downstairs to open up the windows. Back then they told us to open up windows to equalize the pressure. Now they say we shouldn't do it. I was the only one at home at the time. Dad was at work and my mom was picking up my sister from her violin lesson. As I reached the bottom of the stairs and turned towards the family room I saw the tornado about 150 yards away. It looked exactly like the tornado on the Wizard of Oz. It was rope like and bending back and forth. Just before it hit our house it "jumped". I was paralyzed with fright. The roar as it passed over the house was horrific and just after it passed, a lot of debris rained down on the house - branches, rocks and other things. When I went out to the back yard, it was littered with many kinds of things the tornado had picked up. There were even several dead fish. I suppose the tornado must have sucked them up from a nearby lake or creek.

Since then I get very nervous when I hear a tornado warning in the area, which is quite often. We have lots of tornadoes here in Indiana and I've been through dozens and dozens of tornado warnings over the years. One would think I would get over that incident from many years ago, but I haven't. I still have nightmares about it. :(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4091 on: March 23, 2009, 07:39:35 am »
One would think I would get over that incident from many years ago, but I haven't. I still have nightmares about it.
I wouldn't think that! I'd be scared to death too!  :o
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline optom3

« Reply #4092 on: March 23, 2009, 06:16:33 pm »
Near brushes with our mortality at an early age, tend to leave lasting impressions. I am not surprised you still have nightmares.

I was lucky when I was younger that nothing of that ilk arose to frighten me. I am it has to be said a pathetic mess on planes and as for the dentist, OMG it is such a display of abject cowardice, I am ashamed of myself.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4093 on: March 23, 2009, 06:57:02 pm »
I am not an expert, but can only repeat what I was told myself by a therapist when I suffered post traumatic stress disorder.

Mine was caused by being the victim of several armed robberies when I worked at a Credit Union, the last one 10years ago, when one of the armed bandits walked among us, as we laid on the floor. He was pointing his gun at us and saying "now, which one of you am I going to kill".

As you say Fiona, when we are faced with our own mortality, it can leave a life long scar on us.

Therapy taught me to accept that what I was going through was normal. I was not crazy, I was not the only one experiencing such symptoms.

The other thing it taught me was the ability to survive. That even though I was fronted with a life threatening moment, I did survive.

Just like you did David.

The best thing David, is to accept that the trauma you suffered was real, and the lasting nightmares are normal, very unpleasant, but normal. What a terrible thing to go through as a youngster. But you suvived mate, thank goodness.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4094 on: March 24, 2009, 06:09:37 am »
Hi Fiona!

Yes, when something like that happens in our childhood it is very difficult to get over. When I was 14, I watched a tornado jump our house. I heard the sirens go off and I went downstairs to open up the windows. Back then they told us to open up windows to equalize the pressure. Now they say we shouldn't do it. I was the only one at home at the time. Dad was at work and my mom was picking up my sister from her violin lesson. As I reached the bottom of the stairs and turned towards the family room I saw the tornado about 150 yards away. It looked exactly like the tornado on the Wizard of Oz. It was rope like and bending back and forth. Just before it hit our house it "jumped". I was paralyzed with fright. The roar as it passed over the house was horrific and just after it passed, a lot of debris rained down on the house - branches, rocks and other things. When I went out to the back yard, it was littered with many kinds of things the tornado had picked up. There were even several dead fish. I suppose the tornado must have sucked them up from a nearby lake or creek.

Since then I get very nervous when I hear a tornado warning in the area, which is quite often. We have lots of tornadoes here in Indiana and I've been through dozens and dozens of tornado warnings over the years. One would think I would get over that incident from many years ago, but I haven't. I still have nightmares about it. :(

that would have scared the beejezus out of me... I can imagin why you still get frightened.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4095 on: March 24, 2009, 09:21:20 pm »
I'm watching "Twilight" on DVD. It's a vampire movie! :D

I vant to suck your blood, blah! :P

Actually it's really not that scary at all. It's more of a romantic movie. A vampire falls in love with a human girl. It's got a few scary parts though. This is my second time to watch it. :)

I wish some cute, hunky, sexy, romantic vampire would fall in love with ME! That's always been a fantasy of mine. lol

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4096 on: March 24, 2009, 09:45:07 pm »
that would have scared the beejezus out of me... I can imagin why you still get frightened.

It was scary! :'(

I think if it would have happened after I was an adult it wouldn't have been nearly so bad.

But it still would have been pretty bad. I've seen a few tornadoes out in the distance since then, but fortunately that was the only one that has jumped my house so far. I hope it never happens again.

So anyway, I can understand why Fiona's daughter gets so upset during a storm.

Near brushes with our mortality at an early age, tend to leave lasting impressions. I am not surprised you still have nightmares.

I was lucky when I was younger that nothing of that ilk arose to frighten me. I am it has to be said a pathetic mess on planes and as for the dentist, OMG it is such a display of abject cowardice, I am ashamed of myself.

Eww, I don't like dentists either! Something about people with their hands in my mouth while holding sharp pointy instruments. It just freaks me out. :P

**cold chill**

injest

« Reply #4097 on: March 24, 2009, 11:35:50 pm »
I'm watching "Twilight" on DVD. It's a vampire movie! :D

I vant to suck your blood, blah! :P

Actually it's really not that scary at all. It's more of a romantic movie. A vampire falls in love with a human girl. It's got a few scary parts though. This is my second time to watch it. :)

I wish some cute, hunky, sexy, romantic vampire would fall in love with ME! That's always been a fantasy of mine. lol

;D ;D ;)

Offline optom3

« Reply #4098 on: March 24, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
It was scary! :'(

I think if it would have happened after I was an adult it wouldn't have been nearly so bad.

But it still would have been pretty bad. I've seen a few tornadoes out in the distance since then, but fortunately that was the only one that has jumped my house so far. I hope it never happens again.

So anyway, I can understand why Fiona's daughter gets so upset during a storm.

Eww, I don't like dentists either! Something about people with their hands in my mouth while holding sharp pointy instruments. It just freaks me out. :P

**cold chill**

Sharp, pointy instruments in mouths ,which may touch inflamed nerves, thud Fiona hits the deck.

OMG where is a tall dark handsome hulk to revive you when you need one. Just can't get decent service these days. Oh well guess I will just drag my creaky bones up by myself, sigh.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4099 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:43 am »

Mine was caused by being the victim of several armed robberies when I worked at a Credit Union, the last one 10years ago, when one of the armed bandits walked among us, as we laid on the floor. He was pointing his gun at us and saying "now, which one of you am I going to kill".

Oh my god Sue! That's horrible!!

{{{SUE}}}

The donut shop I worked at was once robbed. It was very scary. But it was one of those in and out type of deals. "Give me the money!" and out they ran. It was scary, but not nearly as scary as what you went through honey. I wish things like this didn't happen to people. It's not fair. :(