Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2147876 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4460 on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:49 am »
The Indianapolis episode will air on May 17th. It is a two hour episode - the season finale. It will be on from 6-8 your time (Central Time).

Wow! Why does it last for 2 hours, David?

I should be at home and I should have time to watch if I have my semester tests ready. We will start semester tests on Friday (next Friday), and then school will be OUT on the next Thursday!!! YaY!!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4461 on: May 09, 2009, 09:20:06 am »
Yes, you should ask her to post them. She probably would. But she sent me an email today and told me they didn't hang curtains in the Land Rover. I could have sworn I saw some curtains in one of those pictures, but she said no.

She said Jan-Willem is working on the inside part right now. He still has some more work to do on the interior before they can take it camping. He'd better hurry! Summer is almost here! :D

I asked her :)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4462 on: May 10, 2009, 02:38:50 am »
 :o  :o  :o

THE RESURRECTION OF MARTIN SHEETS??

Martin Sheets was a wealthy businessman who lived in Terra Haute, Indiana in the early 1900’s. One of his greatest fears was that of a premature burial. He often dreamt of being awake, but unable to move, at the moment the doctor pronounced him dead and then regaining consciousness while trapped in a coffin below the ground. Sheets decided to fight his fears by investing some of his resources in the prevention of his being buried alive.

First of all, he had a casket custom-designed with latches fitted on the inside. In this way, should he be placed inside prematurely, he would be able to open the coffin and escape. He also began construction on a mausoleum so that when he died, or was thought to have died, he would not be imprisoned under six feet of dirt. The mausoleum was well built and attractive but Sheets realized that even if he did manage to escape from his casket, he would still be trapped inside of a stone prison.

He came up with another clever idea. He installed a telephone inside of the tomb with a direct line to the main office of the cemetery. In this way, he could summon help by simply lifting the receiver. The line was fitted with an automatic indicator light so that even if no words were spoken, the light would come on in the office and help would soon be on the way.

Death came for Martin Sheets in 1910 and he was entombed in the mausoleum. I would imagine that for several days afterward, cemetery staff workers kept a close eye on the telephone indicator light in the office. After more time passed though, it was probably forgotten. Years went by and the telephone system in the area changed. Eventually, the direct line to the cemetery office was removed but thanks to very specific instructions in Sheets’ will, and the money to pay for it, the telephone in the mausoleum remained connected and active.

A number of years later, Sheets’ widow also passed away. She was discovered one day lying on her bed with the telephone clutched in her hand. In fact, she held the receiver so tightly that it had to be pried from her fingers. It was soon learned that she had experienced a severe stroke and family members assumed that she had been trying to call an ambulance when she finally died. A service was held and after a quiet memorial service, she was taken to the family mausoleum, where she would be interred next to her husband.

When cemetery workers entered the mausoleum, they received the shock of their lives. Nothing there was disturbed, they saw, except for one, very chilling item. Martin Sheets’ telephone, locked away for all of these years, was hanging from the wall.... its receiver inexplicably off the hook!

Terre Haute, Indiana is along the far western edge of the state, just across the Illinois border. The cemetery is located east of town at 4520 Wabash Avenue.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/h_lawn.html

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4463 on: May 10, 2009, 03:24:11 am »
OMG David............now I'v got the heebeee geebees....... :o :o :o
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

« Reply #4464 on: May 10, 2009, 03:26:43 am »
Hey David.....you heard from Jess?

I havent seen her all day.

injest

« Reply #4465 on: May 10, 2009, 11:57:43 am »
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I didn't come in here this morning early...

good grief David! you need to give a warning before you tell stories like that!

you DO know that there are documented cases of people being buried alive? it was a big fear there for a while..

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4466 on: May 10, 2009, 01:48:50 pm »
Didn't people used to be buried with a string attached to a bell that was above ground---just in case they woke up underground -- they could pull the string and the bell would ring?

Or is that just a myth?

I'm going to be cremated--hopefully after being  embalmed. So if I happened to be alive before, I wouldn't be afterward.  :P Underground freaks me out too much---even if I am dead.  :o
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4467 on: May 10, 2009, 01:57:21 pm »
Didn't people used to be buried with a string attached to a bell that was above ground---just in case they woke up underground -- they could pull the string and the bell would ring?

Or is that just a myth?

I'm going to be cremated--hopefully after being  embalmed. So if I happened to be alive before, I wouldn't be afterward.  :P Underground freaks me out too much---even if I am dead.  :o

Dunno but I recently received this as a forwarded email...

***LIFE IN THE 1500'S***

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be . Here are some facts about the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water..

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying . It's raining cats and dogs.

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house.. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, Dirt poor. The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence the saying a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old..

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, bring home the bacon. They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat..

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a .dead ringer..

And that's the truth. Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !

Educate someone. Share these facts with a friend.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4468 on: May 10, 2009, 02:01:38 pm »

Or is that just a myth?

From Wiki: Safety Coffins (with pictures and diagrams)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_coffin

I remember hearing that story when I was young and later I dismissed it as some sort of urban legend. But that article gives a name and a specific cemetery, so apparently it really happened. :o

Creepy creepy creepiness! :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #4469 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:37 am »
This thread is getting pretty creepy and scarey DAvid......

But I keep coming back to see what new story is here.......even though I read it with my eyes closed....