Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2120176 times)

injest

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4640 on: June 03, 2009, 06:17:01 pm »
It was another very interesting day in good 'ol Naptown yesterday. We had another really bad storm roll through. Very high winds, lots and LOTS of rain, lightening and pea sized hail. The hail was not as big as it was the other night. The other night we had golf ball sized hail, and the yard was white from all the ice. So the pea size hail was much better although other parts of Indy reported baseball size hail yesterday. Anyway, in the middle of all this I watched a huge branch come down into Dad's back yard. I think it was probably struck by lightening. It made a very loud crashing sound and upon later investigation I found out it wasn't one branch, but two branches - each about 35 to 40 feet long and about 10 feet tall. And they weren't branches, they were half of an entire tree! :o Another large branch landed on the roof, although it wasn't as big as those two. The one on the roof is about 12 feet long. I was going to go up there today and pull it off, but it has been raining continuously today (no storms though) and it's quite chilly now.. about 55 degrees. Yucky day.

So, in the middle of this storm the power went out. It went out around 5:45pm and didn't come back on until 8:00. Dad and I had our glow sticks ready just in case but it finally came back on just before it got dark outside. Then last night at 11:45 it went out AGAIN while I was typing a PM to Fiona! >:( There were no storms when it happened. No thunder. No lightening. No wind. It was perfectly calm and yet it went out, and it didn't come back on until 8:30 this morning. So I was glad we had located those glow sticks after all. It was very boring. I ended up watching a few "Everybody Loves Raymond" episodes on my battery powered portable DVD player.

Then today, at roughly 1:00pm the power flickered again. It went out for a second or two and came back on. I don't understand it.

I took some pictures of the downed limbs but Photobucket isn't cooperating with me. I keep getting an upload error. Just as soon as it accepts my uploads I will post the pictures here.

It was an interesting night. :P

how come you wasn't writing ME a pm!!??

:( :( >:( :'( :'(

*Jess goes into the corner to pout*

injest

« Reply #4641 on: June 03, 2009, 06:17:57 pm »
*SHOVES Fiona as she passes her*

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4642 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:30 pm »
*SHOVES Fiona as she passes her*
s

Oh dont get tetchy, everyone knows David is your best chum .  :)

injest

« Reply #4643 on: June 03, 2009, 07:04:07 pm »
Oh dont get tetchy, everyone knows David is your best chum .  :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;) ;)

(I'm trying to lay a guilt trip on him...shooo!! dont tell him...)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4644 on: June 03, 2009, 08:10:21 pm »
how come you wasn't writing ME a pm!!??

:( :( >:( :'( :'(

*Jess goes into the corner to pout*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4645 on: June 04, 2009, 02:03:30 am »
Here's some pictures of the backyard from the aftermath of the storm yesterday. I really had to fight with Photobucket because I kept getting upload errors for some reason. :-\

These "branches" - I call them branches, but they are really halves of trees- are roughly 40 feet long and about 10 feet high. I watched them fall to the ground and they made a hell of a noise. I think they were struck by lightening but it could have been from high winds.

Here's some close up pictures...

This branch landed on the family room roof and it made a very loud crashing sound. All four of Cody's feet flew out to the sides and he hit the ground when it happened. I'm not sure but I think we may have sustained a bit of roof damage. I was going to pull it off today but it was raining all day long so I couldn't go up there and do it.

One of the big branches in the yard came from this tree...

The entire top half of this tree is gone. It wasn't a very big tree and I'm not sure where the section that broke off landed.

An insurance adjuster is due out here tomorrow. And I've hired a company to come over and cut the trees up and haul them away. It's a real big mess back there. :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4646 on: June 04, 2009, 04:22:23 am »
oooh! I cant see these at work, but will look at these from hom when I'm back there on Saturday after my trip to Yorkshire from tonight.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4647 on: June 04, 2009, 05:17:04 am »
OMG David, that was some storm!!  Glad that you and your Dad and Cody are okay.  You must have some big old trees in your back yard...sad to lose them.  Was there much damage to your house?  Hope the insurance will cover it all.  But the main thing is you're ok... :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4648 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:25 am »
Wow.

David, those are some pics!  Glad you are OK!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4649 on: June 04, 2009, 03:40:24 pm »
Wow !!
that was some storm you had up there. I would have been joining Cody flat on the floor, and wondering if it was safe to swallow another happy pill, along with a keg of beer !!Well truth be told it probably would have been the vat of beer that had me flat on the floor !! The summer lightning storms here have pretty much the same effect. Emma and I sit with all the curtains closed playing cards.

I hope you find the damage is minimal and the insurance don't find some small print to worm their way out of paying !!! I have just discovered that due to some changes in the IRS here, my BRITISH pension cannot be transferred in the way I was hoping. One can and the other two can't, then to add bloody insult to injury, the one which can transfer, may well be taxable.
YOU WHAT !!!!!!  I paid taxes on it in England, why the beep, beep would I pay taxed for bringing it over here.

So you will not make me a citizen, I can't vote, I quite rightly pay taxes on earned income here, but you then want a cut of my British pension. There are not enough drugs in the world to calm me down at the moment.
In fact if some low form of amoebic life, ie insurance man, tries to argue out of paying, send him in my direction. I will let out a torrent of abuse hitherto unheard of,and what's more I will do it in English, French and Japanese, oh not forgetting Indian, Urdu dialect!!!!!

Me mad, nah, calm as a millpond on a windless day. ;D