Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2119932 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4710 on: July 24, 2009, 11:28:04 pm »
No that was the first time I have ever been to Chicago. I may have already told you about it since it was the middle of June. Yes I did have fun. When I arrived there it was cold and rainy. I asked them at the hotel if it was like that all the time and they said that the weather was around 15 degrees cooler than normal and that it had rained all spring. There was one other morning that was cool and that is when I broke down and bought an umbrella and a sweat shirt. However, the whole rest of the time it was very warm and sunny. Everyone said that summer had finally arrived, but I think it went back to cool and rainy right after I left. Apparently I brought good weather with me  :) and then the same thing happened in New York  ;)

Yup! You brought the sunny South with you up there! I'm sure they appreciated it Jack. Well, I'm glad you had fun. What did you see and do up there? I've been to Chicago many many times. It's a quick drive up the street from where I live (about 3 or 4 hours depending on which side of town I'm going to). Did you see The Museum of Science and Industry? That is one of my favorite places to go when in Chicago.

Did you drive through any parts of Indiana on your way up? Or did you go through Kentucky and then up through southern Illinois near Metropolis/Paducah?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4711 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:46 pm »
Yup! You brought the sunny South with you up there! I'm sure they appreciated it Jack. Well, I'm glad you had fun. What did you see and do up there? I've been to Chicago many many times. It's a quick drive up the street from where I live (about 3 or 4 hours depending on which side of town I'm going to). Did you see The Museum of Science and Industry? That is one of my favorite places to go when in Chicago.

Did you drive through any parts of Indiana on your way up? Or did you go through Kentucky and then up through southern Illinois near Metropolis/Paducah?

I saw a lot, but as usual I always miss something when I go to a new place. I missed out on the Museum of Science and Industry. Somehow I didn't hear about it. Where in town is it? I stayed on the go constantly while I was there though. I stayed at the Westin River North which is of course right on the river. It was close to everything. My room actually overlooked the river and Wacker. It took me a little while to figure out how to get around, but I finally got pretty good at it right before I left. It was a little more confusing than somewhere like New York because all the roads are named rather than numbered. That was true in Los Angeles too. I did not drive up there, I flew, and somehow I skipped Indiana once again. Sorry. Going up the plane stopped in Detroit and then went to Chicago. Coming back it stopped in Cincinnati which looks like a city I would like to see more of too. But once again Indiana is a place I have never been in. And by the way the restaurant I loved was Keefers which not only has great food, but wonderful and very nice looking, friendly bartenders  ;) Harry Carrey's has great food too.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4712 on: July 24, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »
The Museum of Science and Industry is on Lakeshore Drive! Oh God Jack, I can't believe you didn't go there. It is an amazing museum. Well, now you'll have to go back up there so you can see it! It's a HUGE museum. It is very difficult to see the entire thing in one day. Here's some information about it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Science_and_Industry_(Chicago)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4713 on: July 25, 2009, 12:01:31 am »
I did not drive up there, I flew, and somehow I skipped Indiana once again. Sorry. Going up the plane stopped in Detroit and then went to Chicago. Coming back it stopped in Cincinnati which looks like a city I would like to see more of too. But once again Indiana is a place I have never been in. And by the way the restaurant I loved was Keefers which not only has great food, but wonderful and very nice looking, friendly bartenders  ;) Harry Carrey's has great food too.

Well, if you connected in Cincinnati on the way back, that means you FLEW over Indiana at least. So you've been there, sort of. Kind of. lol

Yes, Cincinnati is a nice city. That's another city I go to quite often. In fact I'll be going there with my Dad on August 9th for a family reunion down there, in a suburb of town called Milford. I was hoping the reunion would be on the west side of town, but this won't be the case. Milford is way out on the east side which adds to the drive time. Cincy is about 2 hours from here. Milford is about 2 hr 45 min. away.

Cincinnati is an old river town. Very German. Many sections of the city are quite old. You really have to drive well into the suburbs before you see any newer homes. It's very nice and historic. And hilly. But not like it is in Asheville. ;)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4714 on: July 25, 2009, 12:43:15 am »
Yes, I think they call it the city of seven hills or something like that. And I believe one of the hills is named after a woman who lived in a tree trunk, but I cannot remember her name. I definitely want to visit there one day. Well, at least, I flew over Indiana. One day I will make it there and at least make a landing.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4715 on: July 25, 2009, 12:55:27 am »
Yes, I think they call it the city of seven hills or something like that. And I believe one of the hills is named after a woman who lived in a tree trunk, but I cannot remember her name. I definitely want to visit there one day. Well, at least, I flew over Indiana. One day I will make it there and at least make a landing.

Yes, they call it the Queen City because it sits on those hills and if I remember correctly it reminded the people who founded the area of Rome. The Greater Cincinnati area stretches into three states - Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. The airport you landed at is actually located just across the river in Kentucky, although you probably already knew that! :D

Cincinnati is a very German city, so if you ever go there you'll see lots of German restaurants and bakeries as well as lots of German recipies. The pigs feet I was telling you about is popular in Cincy. King's Island amusment park is also located in the Cincinnati area, just north of the city towards Dayton. It's a huge amusement park with lots of rides and shows. They also have some excellent museums there. It's a very nice city.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4716 on: July 25, 2009, 01:03:11 am »

Oh okay. I just read your post again. Maybe the lady who lived in a tree was a queen or something. I remember my relatives telling me they called it that because it reminded people of Rome, but there are probably several variations of the tale on how it was named.

Of course how they named my city is not too difficult to figure out. It is a combination of the state's name and then "polis" which means "city". So Indianapolis literally means "City of the land of indians". Indiana = Land of Indians and polis = city. :)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4717 on: July 25, 2009, 01:06:39 am »
Yes, they call it the Queen City because it sits on those hills and if I remember correctly it reminded the people who founded the area of Rome. The Greater Cincinnati area stretches into three states - Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. The airport you landed at is actually located just across the river in Kentucky, although you probably already knew that! :D

Cincinnati is a very German city, so if you ever go there you'll see lots of German restaurants and bakeries as well as lots of German recipies. The pigs feet I was telling you about is popular in Cincy. King's Island amusment park is also located in the Cincinnati area, just north of the city towards Dayton. It's a huge amusement park with lots of rides and shows. They also have some excellent museums there. It's a very nice city.

I will have to plan a trip there. There was a direct flight from here to there, but I know it is going away soon. Ida is a legend of a woman that had something to do with one of the hills. I love huge amusement parks.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4718 on: July 25, 2009, 01:12:03 am »
I have to go to bed. I just realized it has become my birthday and that means I have to hide all day and try to forget it happened. Birthdays come way too fast and I am not happy about this one  :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4719 on: July 25, 2009, 01:18:44 am »
I have to go to bed. I just realized it has become my birthday and that means I have to hide all day and try to forget it happened. Birthdays come way too fast and I am not happy about this one  :(

OMG!!! Happy Birthday Jack!! I hope you have a very happy birthday today! Don't hide though! Go out and celebrate it, okay? :-*