Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2141136 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4760 on: September 08, 2009, 12:04:11 am »
The sound of summer nights in Indiana! I recorded the crickets and the tree frogs out in the back yard last night. It's very beautiful. And very relaxing.

Enjoy!  :D  :D

(Thanks Louise for adding the file for me! I appreciate it!)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 12:17:55 am by David In Indy »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4761 on: September 08, 2009, 06:40:11 am »
Cool, David!  Look forward to hearing it!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

retropian

« Reply #4762 on: September 08, 2009, 10:34:22 am »
The sound of summer nights in Indiana! I recorded the crickets and the tree frogs out in the back yard. It's very beautiful sounding. And very relaxing.

Enjoy!

[I am emailing the audio file to Louise and she told me she'll post it here when she receives it, so keep checking back!]

I just listened to it. Nice. Soothing. What kind of tree frogs and crickets in your part of the county? Ecology lesson! In Arizona desert we have no tree frogs, but I did find a lovely charming and fat Spadefoot Toad in my backyard once. He buried himself as Spadefoot Toads do. I remember as a child in the sixties in a semi-rural area that Spring Peepers, Leopard Frogs, Bull Frogs and Toads were common. It was very Wind in the Willows. The Cottontails, the Voles and Mice in the fields, the Garter Snakes. The Wood Wasps, the Paper Wasps and wild Honey Bees. The ponds populated with Tadpoles and Stickle Backs and Bull Catfish. Furry red water Mites and Fairy Shrimp, they appeared just after spring melt when the water was barely thawed and barely above freezing. You made me wistful for Nature, can you tell? It was sad to see as development spread the woods and ponds near our home felled and filled for new homes and strip-malls.  Our crickets here in Arizona are not the charming musical black ones I grew up with in Canada. They're brown and annoying, and omnivorous. They'll eat anything! they're like noisy roaches.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:10:49 pm by retropian »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4763 on: September 08, 2009, 05:33:57 pm »
The sound of summer nights in Indiana! I recorded the crickets and the tree frogs out in the back yard. It's very beautiful sounding. And very relaxing.

Enjoy!

[I am emailing the audio file to Louise and she told me she'll post it here when she receives it, so keep checking back!]

It IS relaxing.. thanks David (& Louise!)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4764 on: September 09, 2009, 04:05:29 pm »
Cool, David!  Look forward to hearing it!

Did you listen to it Chuck? It isn't the most exciting thing ever posted on Bettermost, but it IS quite beautiful and relaxing. I love that sound. :)

It IS relaxing.. thanks David (& Louise!)

You're very welcome Kelda! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And yes, thank you Louise for your help. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4765 on: September 09, 2009, 04:09:45 pm »
I just listened to it. Nice. Soothing. What kind of tree frogs and crickets in your part of the county? Ecology lesson! In Arizona desert we have no tree frogs, but I did find a lovely charming and fat Spadefoot Toad in my backyard once. He buried himself as Spadefoot Toads do. I remember as a child in the sixties in a semi-rural area that Spring Peepers, Leopard Frogs, Bull Frogs and Toads were common. It was very Wind in the Willows. The Cottontails, the Voles and Mice in the fields, the Garter Snakes. The Wood Wasps, the Paper Wasps and wild Honey Bees. The ponds populated with Tadpoles and Stickle Backs and Bull Catfish. Furry red water Mites and Fairy Shrimp, they appeared just after spring melt when the water was barely thawed and barely above freezing. You made me wistful for Nature, can you tell? It was sad to see as development spread the woods and ponds near our home felled and filled for new homes and strip-malls.  Our crickets here in Arizona are not the charming musical black ones I grew up with in Canada. They're brown and annoying, and omnivorous. They'll eat anything! they're like noisy roaches.

I'm not sure what kind of crickets and tree frogs we have here. We rarely see them, but we hear them every night during the spring, summer and fall. And they are very loud. We can hear them even with the windows closed and the airconditioning running. Some nights they are so loud they almost hurt my ears.

That is very interesting what you said about the animals in Arizona. Don't you also have scorpions out there? Fortunately we don't have those here in the midwest. I've heard they really hurt when they sting. :o

retropian

« Reply #4766 on: September 09, 2009, 08:06:06 pm »
I'm not sure what kind of crickets and tree frogs we have here. We rarely see them, but we hear them every night during the spring, summer and fall. And they are very loud. We can hear them even with the windows closed and the airconditioning running. Some nights they are so loud they almost hurt my ears.

That is very interesting what you said about the animals in Arizona. Don't you also have scorpions out there? Fortunately we don't have those here in the midwest. I've heard they really hurt when they sting. :o

Yes, we have two species of scorpions. The Bark Scorpion is a little one, but has the deadlier and more painful sting. I forget what the other and larger species is named. The larger one will prey on the smaller, but the smaller will prey on the young of the larger. Black Widow spiders are very common too. I find them, for a spider, quite lovely in their glossy patent leather black with a tasteful touch of red. They all do their part keeping the cricket population down.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4767 on: September 15, 2009, 09:49:21 pm »
I'm watching this show on VH1 called "The 40 Greatest Pranks". In this one prank they just showed, it was this guy's birthday and he was on this radio show. He may have worked there, but I'm not sure. Anyway they blindfolded him and told him that for his birthday he could feel up a stripper. Little did he know it was his own mother. He was slapping her ass, feeling her up and down. OMG! :o

Then he took off his blindfold. :P :P

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4768 on: September 15, 2009, 09:51:12 pm »
I've seen that one too!

ewwwwwwh!

That would be like someone having me feel up my dad!  :o

And why did she agree to do that?  ???

Oh, btw, David, I've put new pics of Blaze up in my blog, if you're interested.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4769 on: September 15, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »
I've seen that one too!

ewwwwwwh!

That would be like someone having me feel up my dad!  :o

And why did she agree to do that?  ???

Oh, btw, David, I've put new pics of Blaze up in my blog, if you're interested.

I don't know WHY she would agree to it either Chuck! At least she kept her clothes on for it! Good God! :P

Oh I'd love to see Blaze! I'll go take a look at your pictures in a quick minute! Thanks for telling me about it. :D