Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2146829 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #4810 on: November 28, 2009, 12:25:16 am »
Wow! What a crowd. I bet you held on to your folks when you were little. That's really pretty. I can see in the fireworks video that the building on the right has green lights in the windows in the shape of a big Christmas tree. There is a building in Memphis---you can see it when you are going over the Mississippi River--with red and green trees on the sides. I don't know how they do that, but it's pretty. I think it's a big bank building. Can you see the fireworks from your house now, David?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4811 on: November 28, 2009, 02:18:50 pm »
very nice!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4812 on: November 28, 2009, 05:40:19 pm »
very cool displays, David!   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4813 on: November 29, 2009, 01:16:01 am »
Thanks Chuck and Kelda!

Shasta, no I can't really see those fireworks from Dad's house nor my house in Speedway - too far from downtown at both locations. But if I drive a few miles west from Dad's house I can see them. I have some friends who live at Woodruff Place - a beautiful neighborhood with lots of turn of the century houses (1880 - 1910) located on the near east side of the city. They have an excellent view of downtown from their house. I sometimes go over there on the Fourth of July to watch the fireworks they shoot off from the Regions Bank Building. We will climb out onto the roof from the third story window and watch them. Lots of fun! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4814 on: November 29, 2009, 01:23:53 am »
Woodruff Place...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4815 on: November 29, 2009, 08:15:12 am »
wow! Goregous houses!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4816 on: November 29, 2009, 10:11:43 am »
Awesome pictures, David!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4817 on: November 29, 2009, 10:28:49 am »
What beautiful houses, so very different from anything here in Florida. They remind me of the American houses I used to see in old Hollywood movies, everything always seemed so idyllic, I always wanted to live in one !
It was sort of my "little women" dream when I was growing up.That and I wanted to be June Allyson !!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4818 on: December 05, 2009, 03:32:15 am »
The houses over in Woodruff Place are really beautiful. And to think the city almost tore them all down. For years, the area fell into squalor. Then it started to come back again. Now it is one of the most prestigious areas in Indianapolis. I love going over there. When I walk into my friends' house it feels like going back to the old times. Their house has been completely remodeled but they took extreme care to maintain the characteristics of the home. It feels new inside, but it still feels old.

When I lived in Evansville, I lived in an old Victorian for several years. On Adams Street. It had a bunch of gables, porches and even a turret with a "witch hat" roof. It was beautiful. It had some of the original stained glass windows. The one on the staircase landing was particularly beautiful. When the sun rose in the morning and the light shone through that window, it would throw all kinds of colors, like a rainbow.

The house had several secret passageways too! That house was lots of fun to live in! And the woodwork inside was beautiful. I loved all the pocket doors. :)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4819 on: December 05, 2009, 07:57:48 pm »
Secret passage, how cool is that. It sounds like the stuff of boyhood dreams.
 My favourite house ever was the farmhouse we used to live in. I wish I could have that house with Florida weather. Still can't have everything and as I now think 60 degs is freezing, England would finish me and my bones off.

The past few mornings my fingers have been back really bent and swollen and sore, It reminds me why we came here.