Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2147788 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #580 on: November 08, 2006, 03:26:45 am »

Did you all remember to vote today? I stopped by the my polling place around 4:00 this afternoon. We had the pleasure of voting on those electronic machines here in Indianapolis. Apparently a number of people voting on them received a "duplicate vote" message, and they had to revote two or three times before their vote was computed. How encouraging!  >:(

Fortunately I didn't receive such a message.

What ever happened to those voting booths? Do you remember those? They looked like telephone booths with a curtain. We would enter the booth, pull a big lever and the curtain would close. We would flip a few switches, pull the lever again, the curtain would open back up and we were done! I know they were rather noisy, but there was something comforting in all of that clinking and clanking and whirling. I KNEW the machine was doing something. These electronic voting machines scare me a little. Three counties in Indiana had problems with them today, and the city of Muncie had to contact the courts in order to leave their polling places open an hour longer because of all the trouble they had.

Well at least the way you vote over there is now electronic....

Here in australia, it is so out of date, I've been wondering if we will ever get those electronic voting machines....

We get our name marked off in a book when we go in....because its compulsory to vote, if we dont, we get fined......

We still have the little booth, but now they are made out of cardboard....and we get a huge sheet with all the candidates names on them to mark our vote with a pencil.....then we have to fold it up and slip it in the big box......

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #581 on: November 08, 2006, 09:46:08 am »
In the US it is different in different cities and states.  Where I voted we had paper ballots where you darkened a circle with a felt pen, then fed them into a machine which read them as it took them in.  When voting, you just stood at a table with partitions between the four sides so that four could vote at once.  And there were several tables.  So there was no line. I do like the existence of paper backup since we are still in the era of possible election fraud.  I definitely don't like the fact that some of the new electronic machines are held by private companies which are big Republican supporters.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #582 on: November 08, 2006, 10:23:37 am »
So David, it looks like there are three new Democratic representatives (replacing Republican incumbents) in the House from Indiana alone - Donnelly, Hill and Ellsworth.  You are certainly doing your part out there!

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #583 on: November 08, 2006, 10:50:37 am »
all the amendments passed to make marriage   between a man and a woman  :'(

some were kinda close  56 to 44 percent  south dakota was  52 to 48 percent

but tenn was 80  to 20  :'(  i sitll hold out hope that some day ! well be able to get  joined  in more than 1 state !

talk to you guys in a week or so  dont have to much fun without me =/
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #584 on: November 08, 2006, 03:03:05 pm »
A WEEK! What the hell became of tomorrow? 8)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Andrew

« Reply #585 on: November 08, 2006, 07:01:01 pm »
Another first for Indiana, David! "Henry Fernandez, who won a seat on the Lawrence Township School Board, making him the first openly gay person ever elected to any office in Indiana" - from the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund.  One of 57 candidates endorsed by them who have gained office this year.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #586 on: November 09, 2006, 01:36:56 am »
Another first for Indiana, David! "Henry Fernandez, who won a seat on the Lawrence Township School Board, making him the first openly gay person ever elected to any office in Indiana" - from the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund.  One of 57 candidates endorsed by them who have gained office this year.

Well there's some hope for this little state yet,  isn't there?  :D

By the way Andrew, I know Brad Ellsworth. I met with him and some of the other sheriffs when I lived in Evansville.  I worked with the Evansville Neighborhood Association and I saw him nearly every week. He was a really nice guy. Cute too... or at least he was back then. He even came over to my house every once in awhile when I was drawing maps of all the different neighborhoods on the south side of town. We were setting up new crime watch areas and we were trying to identify which neighborhoods had the highest crime rates.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline wulfar360

• myspace
« Reply #587 on: November 09, 2006, 05:27:44 pm »
A WEEK! What the hell became of tomorrow? 8)

welll if you read my thread <cough cough> shakes you woulda seen i was going to be out of town due to work but that store was fking rude and we didnt stay so i gusss since david is back we cant highjack his thread anymore for innocent flirtations? i guess theyll have to come ot mine theN! ;D
but
more and more these days
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #588 on: November 09, 2006, 09:46:11 pm »

welll if you read my thread <cough cough> shakes you woulda seen i was going to be out of town due to work but that store was fking rude and we didnt stay so i gusss since david is back we cant highjack his thread anymore for innocent flirtations? i guess theyll have to come ot mine theN! ;D

You go ahead and flirt all you want to Wulfie. I'll just sit back and watch.

You knew I was into voyeurism, didn't you?  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline wulfar360

• myspace
« Reply #589 on: November 09, 2006, 10:17:23 pm »
no but a cute guy like you can watch anytime or  join in :P
but
more and more these days
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days