Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2149282 times)

injest

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #2800 on: June 18, 2008, 11:00:43 pm »
I've started using a different brand of hummingbird food. Ever since I dumped that concentrated mix on Cody and turned his fur pink, I've been reluctant to use that style of bird food. Because I don't want it to happen again.

I bought a brand called Pennington Natural Springs  ???  ??? and it smells like fruit punch! For all of these years that I've bought hummingbird food, I've never used any that smells. At least not like punch. This is premixed food, meaning I don't have to add any water, and since it's not a concentrated mix, it shouldn't stain if I accidently spill it on one of the animals. Anyway, has anyone ever heard of hummingbird food that smells like fruit punch? This hummingbird food is called "nectar" and maybe that's why it smells. The birds seem to love it. They are flocking to the feeders.

I don't like to use sugar water in my feeders, because it doesn't have the nutrients and vitamins the birds need to keep healthy. This fruit punch smelling nectar has Crude Protein, fat, fiber, sugar, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D-3 and Vitamin E in it.

And it smells just like fruit punch.  :-\ :-\

if I was a bird I would LOVE to have fruit punch smelling dinner!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2801 on: June 18, 2008, 11:02:18 pm »
You didn't taste it, did ya? I think you did!!  ;D :P

I would have.  :P 8)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2802 on: June 18, 2008, 11:05:29 pm »

I was tempted to, and then I noticed it said "not for human consumption" on the label. I bought it at Wal-Mart Shasta. The next time you're there, go to the bird food section and smell it! :laugh:

It smells like fruit punch. Like Hi-C. Remember Hi-C? Do they even sell it any more?

if I was a bird I would LOVE to have fruit punch smelling dinner!

They're flocking to the feeder Jess. But they don't like it when other hummingbirds fly up to them. They want the whole feeder to themselves. So they will fight. I think I should probably buy another feeder and hang it off the downstairs deck. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #2803 on: June 18, 2008, 11:05:39 pm »

me too...a little...

injest

« Reply #2804 on: June 18, 2008, 11:06:41 pm »
I was tempted to, and then I noticed it said "not for human consumption" on the label. I bought it at Wal-Mart Shasta. The next time you're there, go to the bird food section and smell it! :laugh:

It smells like fruit punch. Like Hi-C. Remember Hi-C? Do they even sell it any more?

They're flocking to the feeder Jess. But they don't like it when other hummingbirds fly up to them. They want the whole feeder to themselves. So they will fight. I think I should probably buy another feeder and hang it off the downstairs deck. :)

of course they still sell HiC! I LIKED it when the kids were young...(maybe I still like it!!)  :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2805 on: June 19, 2008, 01:50:01 am »
of course they still sell HiC! I LIKED it when the kids were young...(maybe I still like it!!)  :o

I didn't realize they still sold it. I'll look for it the next time I'm at the store. I drank Hi-C all the time when I was a kid. It came in a metal can, and you had to poke holes in the lid. My favorite flavors were the grape, orange and the fruit punch. We used to make ice cubes with Hi-C too! Did you ever do that Jess? Those were really good during the summer when it was hot outside. I'd chew on them until they gave me a brain freeze. :)

injest

« Reply #2806 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:40 am »
I didn't realize they still sold it. I'll look for it the next time I'm at the store. I drank Hi-C all the time when I was a kid. It came in a metal can, and you had to poke holes in the lid. My favorite flavors were the grape, orange and the fruit punch. We used to make ice cubes with Hi-C too! Did you ever do that Jess? Those were really good during the summer when it was hot outside. I'd chew on them until they gave me a brain freeze. :)

fruit punch was my favorite. and yes! I loved ice cube Hi C!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2807 on: June 19, 2008, 08:20:24 am »
I've started using a different brand of hummingbird food. Ever since I dumped that concentrated mix on Cody and turned his fur pink, I've been reluctant to use that style of bird food. Because I don't want it to happen again.

I bought a brand called Pennington Natural Springs  ???  ??? and it smells like fruit punch! For all of these years that I've bought hummingbird food, I've never used any that smells. At least not like punch. This is premixed food, meaning I don't have to add any water, and since it's not a concentrated mix, it shouldn't stain if I accidently spill it on one of the animals. Anyway, has anyone ever heard of hummingbird food that smells like fruit punch? This hummingbird food is called "nectar" and maybe that's why it smells. The birds seem to love it. They are flocking to the feeders.

I don't like to use sugar water in my feeders, because it doesn't have the nutrients and vitamins the birds need to keep healthy. This fruit punch smelling nectar has Crude Protein, fat, fiber, sugar, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D-3 and Vitamin E in it.

And it smells just like fruit punch.  :-\ :-\
You can actually use stuff like that just dilute it a bit or just mix up some sugar and water. I usually heat the water first so as to help disssolve the sugar.
works like a charm!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2808 on: June 20, 2008, 02:55:19 pm »
You can actually use stuff like that just dilute it a bit or just mix up some sugar and water. I usually heat the water first so as to help disssolve the sugar.
works like a charm!

Dilute the mix and then dump it in with sugar water? Is that what you mean Richard? Do you put red food coloring in the sugar water?

I might switch back to the concentrated mix again. That fruit punch smell is getting on my last nerve. :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2809 on: June 20, 2008, 02:58:23 pm »
fruit punch was my favorite. and yes! I loved ice cube Hi C!

I used to love the Jell-o mix too Jess. It came in a little box. They would sometimes make us eat Jello-o mix before a swim meet. The orange was my favorite. :)

And cookie dough too. But evidently that wasn't just a kid thing because I still love it. ;)