Author Topic: ATTENTION ALL NYC BROKIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 11482 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: ATTENTION ALL NYC BROKIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 12:58:53 pm »

Dominic North as the (not-so-Little) Prince

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:30:20 pm »
OMG !! This takes me back to the very 1st performance, which was shown in Manchester, U.K . I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

It was shown in Manchester first to test the waters, the rest is history. I soooooo have to get to see it again. The music, the tragedy, simply everything. Yes I am a ballet fanatic. I would not just mention Nijinsky, but also Nuryev who could hold a pose with such smoldering intensity, you felt as if you were drawn into his world, and may at any time spontaneoulsy combust.
So how to get to NYC, this is going to take some ingenuity. !!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 04:18:42 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uyg24hOiog[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uyg24hOiog
(Click on the url)

:)

Can't see it. "Blocked in your country"   >:( >:(

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 11:04:52 am »
There was a "tenth anniversary" tour of the ballet in 2008.  It came to Boston, but only for three performances.  I had tickets to the first performance.  There we were, great seats, sold-out house.  We sat there for 45 minutes after the curtain should have risen.  No show.  

Finally, someone came out to inform us that because of some "unsafe scenery", the show would be cancelled.  Bummer!

I hope you got your money back.

I've never seen it live, but I have the original production on DVD.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 12:37:31 pm »
Guess what? - I've just bought tickets for Swan Lake for my youngest child, my middle child and me! :D
Obviously not for the Mathtew Bournes production in NYC, LOL.
But for a show in a city near me: Swan Lake presented by the Russian State Ballett. I'm sooo looking forward to it :).

The tickets were pretty expensive. Luckily husband and oldest child weren't keen on it.
The tickets will be a Christmas present for the kids (and for myself). Now I have the hard job of keeping my trap shut about it and not spoil the Christmas surprise :-X.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »
Nice Chrissi!

Although not a great fan of ballet, I'm sure the Russian State ballet is something else!

Me, I bought tickets for Spamalot for my son and myself!   :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 05:02:06 pm »
hell, I have never seen a ballet in my life, but like Chrissie I got inspired by the content of this thread.
Haven´t bought any tickets yet though. But I´m thinking on it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 07:34:32 pm »
hell, I have never seen a ballet in my life, but like Chrissie I got inspired by the content of this thread.
Haven´t bought any tickets yet though. But I´m thinking on it.

You should. It's my favorite performing art. It's got it all: music, movement, spectacle, and--usually--pretty, athletic, well-built boys in tights.  ;D  And they aren't all gay, either.

I have a subscription to the Pennsylvania Ballet, and as a matter of fact tomorrow evening is my first performance of the new season. The program includes George Balanchine's Concerto Barocco and the company premiere of Carmen (based on the Bizet opera) by Marius Petipa Roland Petit.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:19:41 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »
And the Boston Ballet season is also starting tomorrow, with a one-night fund raising gala of shorter star pieces, along with previews of their season, including La Bayadere which will be a premiere for Boston.  Our ballet has gotten really good over the last ten years.

Enjoy Swan Lake, Chrissi, it is musically and choreographically one of the great classics, a high point in the tradition of impossible doomed love.  Tchaikovsky had a genius for musical storytelling, atmosphere, pacing, transitions and endless novelty which I don't think has ever been equaled in music written for the dance.   There is no reason you can't love the original version and Bourne's too, should you ever get an opportunity to see that.

If it gets you interested in dance - I hope you take the locals seriously too.  Stuttgart and Hamburg have really great companies.  Stuttgart is doing some good things as part of their 50th celebration this year, like the John Cranko versions of Romeo and Juliet and Taming of the Shrew.   And Hamburg is doing
the wonderful non-storied Jerome Robbins 'Dances at a Gathering' set to Chopin among many others.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 10:00:20 pm »
the John Cranko version of ... Taming of the Shrew.

Taming of the Shrew is a marvelous fun ballet. I've seen Pennsylvania Ballet do it twice.  :)