Author Topic: Armistead Maupin Continues "Tales of the City" Series  (Read 9766 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Armistead Maupin Continues "Tales of the City" Series
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:29:24 pm »
 :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:34 pm »
This series is a real wonder, like some parallel universe you can peek into from time to time. I remember reading the first set back in the 90s and everything seemed wrapped up neatly but still I wondered. I wondered in particular about Lexi. What ever happened to her?

Maupin wrote a couple of to the books I enjoyed, Maybe the Moon and The Night Listener each shared a character or a reference with the Tales of the City series, but it was not the same magic. When I heard Michael Toliver Lives had been published I could hardly believe it, would it be as good? Yes it was, in spite of the world changing here, and there, it was like a grand reunion. Anna, still struggling along, Mona lost to cancer, there was no fourth destination......

And now, Maupin continues this brilliant tale, and treats us all unto this unexpected treat, of looking into that serendipitous world again, where something like a cosmic hand moves things along. The fullness of time comes at last, and the many questions answered.

But I can't figure out why Lexi mentioned a Maurice? She said something like he was like a dog going crazy before an earthquake. Perhaps it is the authors veiled reference to himself? He parodied his original collum in the first book, could be.......
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

pnwDUDE

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:59 pm »
I just finished reading it, and all I can say is WOW!

That Armisted Maupin, he is the Mark Twain of this time, he really is.

I just downloaded it to my Kindle. The Tales series of books are fantastic. I started reading them when they first came out and looked forward to subsequent books. I have read each one several times I wasn't a huge fan of the television series. TV & movies are rarely as good as their written work (Brokeback is an exception). I didn't like the change in characters in the television series. There was also a noticeable difference in sets, especially Anna's house on Barbary Lane. And the tv characters weren't as I had them in my mind.

Brad

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 12:27:29 am »
I just downloaded it to my Kindle. The Tales series of books are fantastic. I started reading them when they first came out and looked forward to subsequent books. I have read each one several times I wasn't a huge fan of the television series. TV & movies are rarely as good as their written work (Brokeback is an exception). I didn't like the change in characters in the television series. There was also a noticeable difference in sets, especially Anna's house on Barbary Lane. And the tv characters weren't as I had them in my mind.

Brad

I agree, but man Billy Campbell sure was easy on the eyes  ;)

• BetterMost Supporter!
I have just finished what is supposed to be the last in the "Tales of the City" Series, The Days of Anna Mardigal

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 04:02:39 pm »
If you have not read it, get you a box of Kleenex first.  :'(

The tone of the book starts off somewhat differently than earlier ones, but you soon find yourself sucked into Maupin's story, and putting it down will take some effort.

Set in about 2012, Anna Madrigal, now age 92, goes on her Sentimental Journey back to Winnemucca, Nevada. As one might guess, she has unfinished business there, the really old unfinished business of Andy Ramsey, told through flashbacks to 1936 and the Blue Moon Lodge. Andys
first taste of love, and Burning Man, and Brian's reunion with the world's most beautiful fat woman, and the coming generation, to be conceived in a tent in the Nevada Desert, under a blue moon.

It is Maupin at his best, and it is not to be missed.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
And I will NEVER look at a bottle of Lysol the same again.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wieGYj-g5Y[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 05:07:27 pm »
I also just finished The Days of Anna Madrigal, and it is a wonder. Dedicated to Olympia Dukakis, of course.

Armistead spoke in Provincetown last year, and did a reading from this last book.  I got to speak to him afterward and thank him for his wonderful characters.  I had always thought that Michael was his alter ego (complete with younger husband), but he considers himself more of an Anna.  

I had met him more than 30 years ago, at Harvard, when their gay group flew him out for a reading.  He signed my copy of the first book:  "To Paul, Love, Armistead".  Sweet!

I believe it was a reader who pointed out to him that Anna Madrigal was an anagram for 'a man and a girl'.  He simply included it in one of the later books.

By the way, his own name is an anagram for "Is a man I dreamt up".

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »
 ;D[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvK_gD3ulaw[/youtube]

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2024, 06:16:48 pm »
Wow!  Ten years later, damn! 

Armistead is still at it.  For those who follow him on facebook, you might know that he had teased us about a new book, during the pandemic.  Finally it's out!

Mona of the Manor

Just dropped this week!  I had pre-ordered it, and I devoured it in two days.

As you may guess, this is not in chronological order, as he bumped off Mona back in the 90s.  This is set in the earlier 90s when Mona is Lady Roughton, owner or Easley Manor, left to her by her mail-order husband Lord Teddy (who wanted a free life in San Francisco). 

Mona is just as iconoclastic as ever, even though she has to take on paying guests to pay the bills.  Along with her adopted son Wilfred, now in his 20s, they run the place in luxurious chaos. 

The book also treats us to a visit from Michael and Anna.  Also a sort of mystery and pagan goings-on for Midsummer. 

It's a relatively short book, but so lovely to visit with old friends.