Author Topic: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl  (Read 596800 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:42:53 am »
Ok, I hope Amy doesn't mind that I'm pimping her story, but I thought it was about time this fic had its own thread. This is one of the best fics I've ever read!

It's AU!AU but don't let that scare you away! There is some truly beautiful writing here and, though it's a different time and place, Amy does a great job of bringing what we fell in love with into her story!

First chapter starts here http://midwest-girl.livejournal.com/3784.html

There are 6 chapters so far...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:08:44 pm by MaineWriter »
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Shades of Grey by Midwest-girl
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:55:44 am »
Hi there - I'm really enjoying this one too!

It's very AU AU, but still fab.

Sexual tension or what!!??!!

Won't spoil it too much for other readers but most recent chapter *fans self*

Karen

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 05:22:31 pm »
I think it's one of the best fics I've ever read too! I am completely and totally in love with it. Amy is an A-MAZING writer. She truly blows me away.
The storyline is thrilling, so exciting. Ennis as the Special Agent! and Jack as the Criminal Badboy! (of course he's not really bad at all - now how can our sweet Jack ever be bad, huh?!)
Oooohhhh yeah, Karen, the sexual tension was killing me!! Whooooo! I felt like I was going to explode after chapter 5 and now chapter 6.........WOW!.....just wow. SO beautiful and hot and sweet and wonderful  :) I totally adore her Jack and Ennis.

This story has sucked me in completely and just won't let go. I think it's brilliant  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:42:28 pm »
right there with both of you about the sexual tension! Damn! I won't say too much because I don't want to spoil anything, but I just have to say, the tatoo scene?? dear lord! ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 06:55:21 pm »
right there with both of you about the sexual tension! Damn! I won't say too much because I don't want to spoil anything, but I just have to say, the tatoo scene?? dear lord! ;D
Whoowhee YES Mandy!!! Don't even go there!  ;D
I can't even remeber how many times I've re-read that part! *swoons*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 07:04:06 pm »
LOL, you and me both! And I'm planning on re reading the entire thing tonight too!

midwest-girl

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 09:03:31 pm »
Hi, guys!  Just wanted to say how flattered I am that you started a thread for Shades.  You know, I almost didn't write this story b/c I was worried it was too AU!AU and that people would freak out that Jack is a drug dealer.  But I'm so glad I went ahead and started writing because Shades has been such fun and so interesting to write.  I'm thrilled you all like it so far and I'll do my best not to let you down!   ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 10:37:52 pm »
Hey Amy! I'm glad that it's cool I started this thread... I wasn't sure if you wanted one because you hadn't done it yourself, but I love your story and wanted more people to read it! I for one think you definitely made the right decision with this story  ;D (by the way, I post under "minchout" on LJ)

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 09:49:20 am »
Amy, hi! I usually do not read any "Extreme AU" fanfictions (I mean the stories where Ennis and Jack are completely different persons) because I just can't deal with them most of the time, I always like the stories to be as close to Ennis and Jack's real life, but since I absolutely loved If I asked, I was willing to give Shades of Grey a try and I love it, you can really pull this AU thing off like nobody else. You have such amazing writing skills, your writing is absolutely captivating and even though it's really AU, you are still holding on to their characters as in the movie/book, which is pretty great! Good luck with the rest of the story!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:21:19 pm »
I will give this story a real thumbs-up too.  Those of you who know me know that I don't do a lot of reading (mainly because I am always typity type typing), and I also don't enjoy a lot of non Wyoming, non-cowboy BBM stories.  However, I do like police stories (duh, can you tell?) and this one I am definitely enjoying greatly, gritty, believable, and with a tension and excitement that one gets from a story that has danger, excitement, and narrow brushes with death, as well as crackling sexual chemistry!  I do love Law Enforcement!Ennis, as I call him!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:18:08 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”