Author Topic: Artful New York: Matt & Kim  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Artful New York: Matt & Kim
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:11:26 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkymylTNU4[/youtube]

Posted on Youtube by mattandkim | April 21, 2009

Brooklyn's Matt & Kim strip down in New York City's Time Square. Directed by Taylor Cohen and Otto Arsenault. (www.FVMMO.com) Cinematography by Ben Wolf. VFX by Steve Ilous. Copyright FADER Label 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_%26_Kim
Matt & Kim
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Matt & Kim are an indie rock duo residing in Brooklyn, New York City, New York. The group was formed in 2004 and is composed of Matt Johnson (vocals/keyboards) and Kim Schifino (drums/vocals).

The two met while packaging food at Park Slope Food Coop in Brooklyn. Matt is originally from Vermont and Kim is from Rhode Island. Their simple dance-style rhythms and energetic performances have gained them a substantial local following. An online presence has grown mostly through social networking like at MySpace and Facebook as well as at media sites such as YouTube.

Once beginning their serious recording as a group, they resided in Matt's parents' house, recording in the attic. Matt's brother, Fletcher, acted as a judge, critiquing their songs and helping the two better their rhythm.

(....)

The video for "Lessons Learned", in which the duo strips nude in Times Square, was shot in February 2009. The duo state that the police intervention seen in the video was not staged, and the police left them alone after they told them they had a permit to shoot a mayonnaise commercial. On September 13, 2009, Matt & Kim won the Breakthrough Video award for "Lessons Learned" at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards. The video was also awarded the Best Video Woodie at the 2009 mtvU Woodie awards.

(....)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZMx9KV4mCQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Posted on Youtube by Logrithmic | April 27, 2009

"Camping Out"

Re: Artful New York: Matt & Kim Interview (well, mostly Matt)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:38:24 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F8PLGOd594&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/youtube]

(Well, mostly Matt!)
Posted on Youtube by LeaheyHoo | January 20, 2009

Interesting Note: the interspersed concert footage was shot July 13, 2008, at Brooklyn's McCarren Park immediately across from Five Leaves....

http://www.baeblemusic.com/concertvideo/McCarren-Park/Matt-and-Kim.html

Meet Matt and Kim. They call Williamsburg, Brooklyn home. And like so many of their neighbors, M&K have themselves a band. So why is it that their music has taken over Brooklyn? How is it that this overly-energetic, insanely stripped down brand of synthetic power pop has heralded M&K the borough's (and beyond) absolute party band of choice? I think you'll find the performance offered here to be an awesome explanation to such questions.

Shot on a brilliant, sun baked afternoon, our two giddy-as-can-be subjects tear their way through an exuberant and undeniably sincere set for thousands of their adoring neighbors at the McCarren Park Pool. Rolling through classics such as "Silver Tiles" and "Yea Yeah", the show offered here is actually pretty typical of what Matt & Kim do. R. Kelly raps, inappropriate comments, toddler aged back up dancers, a 20+ piece back up orchestra; even Matt & Kim probably don't know what will happen over the course of this performance. But they're having a blast...so too will you.

- David Pitz

Matt Johnson (guitar/vocals/keyboards) and Kim Schifino (drums/vocals) create the giddy pop stylings of Matt & Kim. The indie rock pair came together in 2004 in their native Brooklyn. Two years later, with spring shows alongside Meneguar, the tender-hearted twosome began recording their debut album. Their self-titled release followed on iHEARTCOMIX in fall 2006. The band's second album, Grand, is expected out on FADERLabel in January.

- all music guide

"Camping Out"

Re: Artful New York: Matt & Kim
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:48 pm »

Interesting note, by the way--the van from which Matt & Kim emerged (to make their life-affirming, clothes-doffing amble in their Youtube video of "Lessons Learned") was parked on the Southwest corner of Broadway and 45th Street, opposite the Marriott Marquis and the Minskoff Theatre, in February 2009.

More than a year later, in May of 2010, in the exact spot,  the happily hapless Times Square Bomber, Faisal Shahzad, parked his dark blue Nissan Pathfinder SUV that contained: two travel alarm clocks with batteries, two red full 5-gallon cans of gasoline, 40+ consumer-grade M-88 firecrackers inside a 20-ounce metal container, gunpowder, three 20-gallon propane tanks, 250 pounds fertilizer, and 120 M-88s.

As I say, interesting.

"Camping Out"

Re: Artful New York: Matt & Kim
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:54:11 pm »

Lessons Learned
by Matt & Kim