Author Topic: Counting Down to the End of....Downton Abbey  (Read 244715 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Have you been watching … (Julian Fellowes's) Downton Abbey?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »
Season 2 finished here before Christmas. I have seen promos for season 3 but no dates yet. It is the silly season here until Feb  due to holidays. As I will be away most of Feb and April, I am worried I might miss it. I am still vacillating about buying a new TV system. The country is going digital this year and I have to make a decision soon. At the moment my TV is over 15 years old and I still record on VHS tapes. I have a  DVD player only.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:29 pm »

Downton Abbey
Season 2, Episode 1

Downton Abbey Premiere Recap:
Love During Wartime

By Amanda Dobbins
1/8/12 at 11:00 PM

The magic of Downton Abbey 's first season — besides the house, and the Edwardian chic, and of course Dame Maggie Smith's acid one-liners — was that unlike most other costume dramas, you watched an episode without any clue about what might happen. With Austen or Merchant Ivory drama, we've usually already read the book, and if not, we assume that duty and love will prevail (and then everyone will dress for dinner.) But on Downton,  there were actual surprises — delicious, soapy, "Turkish diplomat dying in someone's bed" surprises. Sometimes a war even pops up to ruin a garden party. If you have "somehow" already seen Downton 's second season, which originally aired in the UK last fall, you will be aware that this second season stays very committed to high drama: if you, the responsible television viewer, are starting fresh with PBS, you will perhaps have read that things get a little nuts this season. Vulture  will be recapping the show along with the Masterpiece schedule, and so we won't spoil the twists ahead of time, except to say, get ready, because so much crazy stuff is about to go down, you won't even remember that time Lady Edith called Lady Mary a slut in the hallway.

"So much crazy stuff" is also an apt description of the season's first episode, which, at a running length of two hours, offers an overwhelming amount of exposition and romantic developments to cry over. Julian Fellowes: wasting no time in screwing up everyone's love life. Amy Heckerling thanks you, Sir Julian! And the rest of us are sitting over here in agony, wondering why in God's name Matthew couldn't use his two years in the trenches to realize that he really loves Lady Mary and should just get over himself already, because there's a freaking war going on. But we're ahead of ourselves; we'll get to the heartbreak soon enough. First, a quick roll call of all the major character developments, because there are so very many.

When we last left Downton,  Lord Grantham was announcing the start of World War I to the guests assembled at his garden party; season two begins in 1916, at The Somme, where a very grimy Matthew Crawley is trying to navigate his way through an onslaught of enemy fire. Since it is the first minute of the second season, and losing Matthew Crawley at this point would be a bummer from a plot perspective, he does, in fact, make it into the bunker, where he announces that he's up for a few days leave. Where will he go? Oh, you can probably guess. [Roll titles.]

The scene at Downton is majorly hectic, as Cousin Isobel has apparently convinced the Granthams to host a charity concert to raise money for the local hospital. Everyone is helping, and they all have very useful personal information to share while hanging banners or moving chairs or staging an attack on truly hideous floral arrangements. (Never change, Dowager Countess.) In brief, we learn that Anna and Bates are still in love, but Bates is MIA because his mother died. Ethel, a salty new maid, has been pulled in to replace Gwen, who went to be a secretary; Thomas peaced out to join the military health corps (and avoid theft charges). O'Brien is still around, smoking and looking mean, as are Carson, Mrs. Hughes, William, Daisy, Mrs. Padmore, and Branson the chauffeur, who has the unenviable task of having to teach Lady Edith to drive, and therefore having to be inside a car with Lady Edith.

Upstairs, Lord Grantham is bummed that he can't really be in the army, so he's dressing like it, instead. Cora, for her part, is supporting the troops by getting out of bed for breakfast. Sibyl has apparently been getting a lot of bad news from the front, and wants to do something more, so she asks Isobel about training to be a nurse; the increasingly pushy Isobel agrees to help her and suggests that she start by learning some basic kitchen skills. Edith is still at home and is still hateful; it's not immediately clear where Mary is, but this becomes less worrying when the Dowager Countess shows up to help with the fundraiser and starts doubting Cora's ability with the flowers. ("Cora's flowers always look more suited to a first Communion in Southern Italy." To be fair, the sea green hydrangea situation going on in the library is actually very ugly.)

And with that, we are eight minutes into the season. Good lord. As mentioned before, so much happens in this episode that it seems fairly impossible, or at least wildly masochistic, to try to rehash it in chronological order. So we'll divide it up like the Granthams before us, breaking down the Downstairs drama and the Upstairs drama separately (though the stories often meet during the dressing hour. It's not a perfect system, but then, neither was the whole landed gentry/life of service thing. We will do our best.)

Downstairs, the major concern is the love affair between saintly Anna and still-married Bates. Bates returns from London to announce that his mother has left him a decent chunk of money--enough, he thinks, to finally convince his missing wife to consent to a divorce. He tells Anna as much, which is fairly unromantic as far as proposals go, but she doesn't care, because she is bright-eyed and pure of heart, and so she says yes. Great! Cue Bates' wife, who shows up almost immediately to ruin everyone's plan. Not only is Vera Bates a spoil sport, but as played by Maria Doyle Kennedy, she is almost laughably evil: the wild horse-y eye-rolls, the maniacal laugh, that frumpy hat? Okay, crazy cartoon lady. The walking plot device wants Bates and his money back, and so she blackmails him with the worst-kept secret in 1910s London: Lady Mary's pre-marital dalliance with the devastatingly handsome (and now unfortunately dead) Mr. Pamuk. Not only would the scandal disgrace the Granthams, but Anna, too--Vera knows that she helped carry the body--and so Bates agrees to leave Downton, in order to protect his lady love. He of course plays the hero, refusing to tell Anna just why he's ditching her, and she of course suspects that he's being noble, and everyone cries in the courtyard. Then Bates disappears for the rest of the episode, which is maybe more distressing than the fact that he and Anna have to deal with a psycho who looks like the evil twin of Kathy Bates' Titanic  character.

The other major downstairs drama involves William, who, having never seen a television show, is blithely unaware that the sweet, dopey guy is always the one who gets killed off during sweeps, and so he's very anxious to join up with the army. William! No. You have had "death at Verdun" written across your forehead since the Archduke got assassinated back in season one. Mrs. Patmore at least seems aware of this fact, and harangues him about his misguided sense of duty, but William's having none of it. Things get worse when some old-school Code PINK types bust up the charity concert and hand him a white "coward" feather. Clueless Daisy tries to cheer him up by kissing him in the kitchen, but when William finally does  get called up, he thinks she actually "fancies" him, and so he saunters into the kitchen in uniform asking for a picture to take with him. William with Swagger is hugely entertaining ("Pinch me, I'm your dream come true"), but Daisy immediately freaks out, telling Mrs. Patmore she didn't mean it like that, and she definitely doesn't want to be his sweetheart. Oh Daisy, too late, says Mrs. Patmore and everyone who has ever been in junior high.

The rest of our friends in the servants quarters are busy trying to keep Downton running despite the reduced staff.  Carson, in particular, is super uptight and keeps bitching about not having enough footmen to serve a proper dinner. He gets so wound up that he has a panic attack mid-service--he's fine!--but he lands in bed for the duration of the episode. Mrs. Hughes, awesomely, spends her time telling Carson to chill out and eavesdropping on the conversation between Bates and Vera, then spreading the gossip far and wide so that everyone knows wonderful Bates is. Ethel, the new maid, is a pill, inspiring O'Brien to haze her by sending her unannounced into the drawing room after dinner. (Frankly, Ethel deserves it.) O'Brien also helps engineer Thomas's return to Downton, as a staffer at the hospital, but Thomas has to pull an Owen Meany  to land the reassignment. Meanwhile, Lang, the new valet to Lord Grantham, has a major PTSD breakdown and gives O'Brien the opportunity to actually have a heart, when she confronts him about his shellshock. Is it possible that O'Brien will not be the most hateful Downton Abbey employee in season two? Only Ethel can know for sure!

Upstairs, the war is ruining everyone's good time, but to the credit of the Granthams, they are all eager to actually do something to help, rather than just canceling their hunting season. Lord Grantham is delighted to be offered a position in the army, then devastated when he learns it's only an honorary title; he tells anyone who will listen (William, Cora, even Matthew) that he feels like a fool sitting around at Downton. Cousin Isobel remains hugely committed to (and slightly obnoxious about) her work at the local hospital, but as mentioned before, she's now joined by Thomas and new nurse Sybil.

That's right: new nurse Sybil! The youngest Grantham has ditched her harem pants and is now the village Clara Barton. To become a nurse, Sybil naturally had to go to training school, which sets up two of the most delightful scenes from this episode: Sybil, learning how to make tea ("Everyone knows how to fill a kettle"), and Sybil, getting dropped off at school by Branson, who totally confesses that he's in love with her! He plays it with equal parts agony and authority, which is a pretty genius strategy: how could a politically-conscious third daughter resist an over-confident Irish radical who also wants to make out with her? Change the social order by marrying me.  Too smart. Sybil says no for the moment, but she promises not to give him away, and then she stares at him like she just realized that he's a boy and she's a girl and this is a thing that could happen. (Really, Sybil, how did you not see that one coming? Has Mary taught you nothing?)

Speaking of Lady Mary, it is time to address the hellscape that is her current love life. It pains us to even type the words, but we understand how storytelling works, sort of, and so it had to be expected: Matthew is engaged. To someone else. Fine, now you know. The woman in question is named Lavinia Swire, and she is, in the words of Carson, "not to be found in Burke's Peerage, or even Burke's Landed Gentry." Edith, ever the shrew, drops the fiance bomb on an unsuspecting Lady Mary, but Mary plays it cool, announcing instead that she also has a new romantic interest: Sir Richard Carlisle, a newspaper magnate. And here are our ill-advised parallel love stories for the season: Matthew and his mousey Lavinia vs. Mary and the vulgar Carlisle. Both parties are invited to Downton, so that Mary and Matthew can peacock around announcing how happy they are for the other couple. Soon we learn that Lavinia and Carlisle actually know each other already, and have reason to be bickering in the garden. (Did they have an affair? Please say they had an affair. And are still in love. And are going to run off together and not bother us with this competing engagement nonsense anymore.)

The situation looks bleak, especially for Mary, who is quite obviously still in love with Matthew and admits as much in private to Anna and Carson. (Carson, adorably, tells her that no man would ever reasonably choose Miss Swire over Lady Mary.) But since it is wartime, and because beneath that icy exterior Lady Mary has feelings to rival Adele's, she can't totally suppress her desperation, and so we are treated to two heartbreaking encounters between Mary and Matthew. The second, in which Mary prepares to confess her feelings for Matthew, only to meet a weepy Lavinia and chicken out, is a triumph of sad-eye-acting.  But we'd like to focus on the goodbye at the train station, which channels Brief Encounter  and is a reliable litmus test of whether or not you have a functioning heart. (If you are crying: yes. If you are dry-eyed: no.) Mary hands Matthew her good luck charm--a stuffed donkey, it looks like--and tells him, while barely keeping it together, that he "must promise to bring it back without a scratch." Matthew tears up, and tells Mary how glad he is that they've made peace. He asks her to take care of his mother and Lavinia should the worst happen.  At this point even the steely Mary starts to crack, and there's legitimate terror in her eyes as she kisses him goodbye. Michelle Dockery kills this scene, cloche hat and all, and it would almost be painful to watch, if it weren't so excruciatingly wonderful. (Watch it again! It's so great.) But can we stand a whole season of train station goodbyes? Can the human heart bear so much longing? We sincerely hope it doesn't have to.

The B-side upstairs drama involves Lady Edith getting it on with a married farmer, and then being dumped by a married farmer, which, congrats to her, we guess. (Congrats also to Lady Mary for getting to say the line, “She’s found her metier; farm laboring.”) Isobel and the Dowager Countess have a standoff over military deferrals, and nobody comes out a winner--especially not Molesley, who begs Dr. Clarkson to spare him from service, even after the Dowager Countess’s shady letter-writing campaign has been revealed. Meanwhile, Lord Grantham goes ballistic at Bates for quitting without an explanation, then is chastened when Carson informs him that Bates was falling on his sword for the family. (Mrs. Hughes’s eavesdropping at work!) Carson refuses to explain why  exactly the family would be shamed, but Lord Grantham is that much closer to learning about the time that a Turkish guy died while taking his daughter’s virginity. That should go well.

Two more plot-relevant details: Carlisle does, in fact, propose to Mary, in a depressing reprisal of train station goodbyes, and Mary announces to Anna that she plans to accept him. On the home front, Sybil and Isobel join forces to demand that Downton be turned into a convalescent home for the duration of the war. More gossipmongers and wounded soldiers, coming soon to a landed estate near you!

Finally, a round-up of all the relevant Dowager Countess quotables from this episode, because we understand why you actually watch Downton Abbey :

”War makes early risers of us all.”

”Anna, help me do battle with this monstrosity. It looks like a creature from the Lost World."

”Oh, that's a relief. I hate Greek drama, when everything happens off stage."

Dowager Countess: "So, that's Mary's replacement. Well, I suppose looks aren't everything."
Cora: "I'm afraid meeting us all together must be very intimidating."
Dowager Countess: "I do hope so."

in response to the news that Lavinia’s father is a lawyer, like Matthew: “My my, you're very well placed if you ever in trouble with the law."

"Remember your great aunt Roberta.  She loaded the guns at Lucknow."

”Edith! You are a lady, not Toad of Toad Hall.”

"I am not a romantic, but even I will concede that the heart does not exist solely for the purpose of pumping blood."

See you next week, when hopefully Julian Fellowes will indulge at least a small amount of Greek drama.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:20 pm »
I saw Julian Fellowes--at least, I think it was Julian Fellowes--tell Brian Williams of NBC that Dame Maggie makes his lines funnier than he writes them.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »
Love the recap, John.  And, I meant to thank you for all the above clips.  They made for enjoyable watching, in anticipation of the new season. 

"Lavinia Swire":  I can't decide if it's more Proulxian or Dickensian. 

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 01:31:30 pm »

I saw Julian Fellowes--at least, I think it was Julian Fellowes--tell Brian Williams of NBC that Dame Maggie makes his lines funnier than he writes them.  ;D

I'm glad he acknowleges what is manifestly true. Sir Julian (now actually Lord  ("call me Julian") Fellowes since 2011   ::) ) is a very lucky "Fellowe" indeed; if he had never met a certain Robert Altman, I think most of us would have never heard of him....

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 01:37:24 pm »

Love the recap, John.  And, I meant to thank you for all the above clips.  They made for enjoyable watching, in anticipation of the new season. 

"Lavinia Swire":  I can't decide if it's more Proulxian or Dickensian. 

Thanks, Paul!

Re "Lavinia Swire": Kenneth Grahame? Beatrix Potter?   (Oh, Swire, not Swine!  :laugh: )

"Camping Out"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »
I saw Julian Fellowes--at least, I think it was Julian Fellowes--tell Brian Williams of NBC that Dame Maggie makes his lines funnier than he writes them.  ;D
Whenever I see that Maggie Smith is in a movie, I automatically want to see it. She and Judy Dench are marvellous. If both are in a movie it has to be a must-see.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2012, 03:15:43 pm »

Hand me Downton :
How dresses in ITV hit have been
recycled from other major films

Gowns and accessories previously worn
by stars including Uma Thurman,
Emma Thompson and Catherine Zeta-Jones

'You can’t supply originals to everyone because it would make an already
expensive programme simply unaffordable', says costumier Tim Angel

By Liz Thomas
Last updated at 12:52 AM on 10th January 2012

If you had the odd moment of deja vu during the last series of Downton Abbey,  then don’t worry – there’s a reason some of those beautiful gowns looked familiar. Despite the ITV show’s £12million budget, attentive viewers may have spotted that some of its leading ladies wore Hollywood hand-me-downs. Lavish dresses worn by stars including Catherine Zeta Jones, Emma Thompson and Uma Thurman have been recycled and given the Downton  treatment to save money.

A red dress worn by Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary Crawley, for example, was first seen on Miss Zeta Jones in the 2007 thriller Death Defying Acts.

Seeing double: Michelle Dockery's Lady Mary in a red dress, pictured left... and the original first
work by Catherine Zeta Jones in Death Defying Acts  in 2007

In fact the pair have shared two outfits. The second is a floral blouse first worn by Miss Thompson 20 years ago in the film Howards End. It was then passed on to Miss Zeta Jones, again in Death Defying Acts,  before ending up in Lady Mary’s wardrobe.

Truly vintage: Lady Mary, pictured left in a blouse first worn by Emma Thompson's character
in Howard's End,  pictured right

Continuing the trend, Dockery wears a fetching silky green dress with sheer arms, a frock that had previously been worn by Radha Mitchell when portraying the wife of Peter Pan  author J. M. Barrie in Finding Neverland  in 2004.

In Downtown Abbey, Michelle Dockery (right) recycles a gown previously seen in
Finding Neverland in 2004

And on a separate occasion, she is seen in an elaborate black choker so distinctive that viewers remembered Monica Bellucci wearing the same accessory in the film Brotherhood Of The Wolf  almost a decade ago.

Dockery (right) wears an elaborate black choker worn by Monica Bellucci in the film
Brotherhood Of The Wolf

Eagle-eyed viewers also noticed that Cora Crawley, played by Elizabeth McGovern, wore an adapted version of a dress sported 12 years ago by Miss Thurman, in Henry James’s The Golden Bowl,  although the gown appears to have been altered slightly by dressmakers.

Oddly familiar: Cora Crawley, pictured left in an adapted dress worn by Uma Thurman's character
in The Golden Bowl

Dame Maggie Smith as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham also appears in a long-sleeved, teal silk dress. as worn by Thurman in the same 2000 film.

Dame Maggie Smith as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham appears in a long-sleeved, teal
silk dress (right) also worn by Thurman in the 2000 film, The Golden Bowl

And in the first series, Laura Carmichael’s Lady Edith Crawley wore a white dress from ITV’s 2007 adaptation of EM Forster’s A Room With a View.

Mirror image: Lady Edith Crawley, pictured left, in a dress worn by Elaine Cassidy's character
in ITV's A Room with A View

According to Katie Bugg, a designer who runs Recycledmoviecostumes.com this is common practice on expensive productions to ensure budgets don't overrun.

She states: 'Recycled movie costumes are gowns that often appear in one production and then go on to be used in another. Many movies have very small costume budgets, which means that instead of making all of the costumes, the designer is forced to rent costumes from a costume house. Sometimes costumes are altered significantly to give it a new look, and sometimes the dress is used as it appeared for the first time.'

Downton ’s costume designer Susannah Box has previously said only a third of the show’s outfits are new. ‘We couldn’t have done all of them – it would have cost a fortune, way over our budget,’ she said.

Tim Angel, whose costume firm Angels provided many of Downtown Abbey ’s frocks, said: ‘I would say around two-thirds of the costumes you see in Downton  are from stock and have been used before. There is nothing wrong with that. You can’t supply originals to everyone because it would make an already expensive programme simply unaffordable.’

Despite the cost cutting measure, some characters, such as Samantha Bond’s Lady Rosamund Painswick, were dressed entirely in outfits hired from outside. Recycledmoviecostumes.com showcases many similar examples from other period dramas. One brown dress has appeared in seven productions over the past 15 years, including Pride & Prejudice, Vanity Fair, Little Dorrit and The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister.  Meanwhile, a yellow ball gown created for the 1994 film The Madness Of King George  has made six more appearances, one of them in a 2006 episode of Doctor Who.

Downton Abbey,  which tells the story of a fictional estate in North Yorkshire, first aired in September 2010 and has since been nominated for four Golden Globe Awards.

A third season will be broadcast in September this year.

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »
How about that! Even the toffs wear hand-me-downs!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2012, 06:18:04 pm »
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2012/01/downton-abbey-starts-off-strong.html

Downton Abbey
Starts Off Strong
In Ratings

By Amanda Dobbins
Today at 3:30 PM

4.2 million people watched the season premiere of the British costume drama on Sunday, even though the second season has already aired in full in the U.K. (Earl Grantham is so proud of America right now.) Downton 's two-hour debut averaged a 2.7 rating, which is double PBS’s average viewership and well up from its season-one ratings. Or, if you prefer your ratings in comparative terms, Downton 's viewership is on par with Community and bigger than Mad Men. Which raises the important question: Is Matthew Crawley the new Don Draper? Self-made men, wartime heroes, devastating side smiles — there's something here. Discuss.

"Camping Out"